1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG182 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, May 18, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG182 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
    - How useful was your UA?
    - Did you use spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    - What techs did you prioritize ?
    - What did you think of the map and settings?

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

Your name: zxcvbob
    Game status: Diplomacy Victory
    Game date: 2010AD
    Turns played: 430
    Base score: 1417
    Final score: 1647
    Time played: 6:16:00

I assume that time is terrible, but we'll see. I beelined Satellites to trigger the UN then raced like mad to Globalization, and spent 3000 gold (just about all I had) buying-up enough city states to win on the first vote -- with one extra CS for insurance. I couldn't bribe any of the AI's (not even the couple who still liked me) to vote for me.

- The extra production from iron, horses, etc was nice but not game-changing. I had plenty of iron even w/o doubling it, didn't really use my horses much, and only used one uranium to build a bomb for deterrence.
    - I used spies for CS influence, and at the very last as diplomats. They were very important at the end for the extra Globalization votes I needed.
    - The map was a big hindrance, but that's what made it interesint. Too much tundra, and not enough unique luxuries. (I ended up with about a dozen copies of dyes.)
    - The difficulty level didn't really affect my strategy much. It meant I thought I could build a couple of strategic early wonders, but they were gone before I even tried.
    - Piety(2), Honor opener, full Tradition, Rationalism(3), Freedom(6), finished Rationalism, Commerce(2), left side of Honor, and was working on finishing Commerce when I won.
    - I honestly don't remember which techs I prioritized early. In the later game, Radio (I bought 2 engineers to build Eiffel and Broadway at the same time in different cities), Replaceable Parts (SoL), Plastics, Electronics (battleships), Satellites, and Globalization.
    - I was planning to go straight Tradition, but when I saw how much tundra there was and how few luxuries I decided a religion would be vital. So I started out in Piety and built a shrine as quickly as I possibly could; I managed to snag Dance of Aurora, Tithe, Pagodas (for happiness), Religious Texts, and Feed the World. Also with no neighbors, I started out *way* behind in tech, and there was no one to trade luxuries with or sell horses to. Meanwhile, on a continent far far away, Assyria was running away with the game. I never did catch up to him but I was getting close. Meanwhile, I was at war with France and the Shoshone (they jointly DoW'd me), that's why I added the extra policies in Honor. Both their capitals have lots of nice wonders that will be mine soon if I Just One More Turn...

20190518131434_1.jpg

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Chieftain

I played it again (it's cold and drizzly here today) Made very few changes from last time, except I researched Optics and Astronomy quicker. By rushing Optics I managed to build the Great Lighthouse. This allowed me to explore the map *much* faster and meet all the AI's and the CS's. (I sent 2 caravels out, on auto-explore so prior knowledge of the map wouldn't make much difference.) I even founded the World Congress. Meeting the AI's meant I didn't fall very far behind, and by the Industrial Era I was a little ahead. After researching Plastics and building research labs I started bulbing scientists, and blew thru the rest of the tech tree so fast I triggered the world leader vote before I was ready; had to wait for the second vote for the win, and it was still over 40 turns sooner than the game I submitted.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  4. patience007

patience007 Chieftain

TSG 182 – 1882AD turn 311 (in game score 1762, ranking score 2841)

Double resources helped a little early in the game. Krepost helped a little with faster expansion and cheaper tiles.

Killed a bunch of foreign spies since I was soon lead tech after spy was acquired.

Would have been much faster on pangea but I enjoyed taking the capitals on the southern continent.
    With the small starting continent I only founded 2 cities (2nd near lake victoria) and decided I’d take some capitals (along with 2 other cities for a total of 8 cities) to increase my outputs. With so many city-states, it took a lot more gold to buy them all though I had ~8k at the end of the game since I had to wait 18 turns for the vote after UN started.

On tsg181(prince difficulty), I waited until crossbows to war (which slowed the game considerably). This time I declared war on Shoshone too early (archers and catapults were one-shoted by the city) and waited until crossbows to take all of the capitals on the main southern continent.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    Full Tradition, 4 Patronage, full Rationalism, 3 Freedom (including Arsenal of Democracy which was helpful), finished Patronage. I also took 1 in Honor early on to keep track of the raging barbs and get culture from them.

Went Optics for GLH, Trapping and Calendar for resource development, Bronze Working for Krepost, Iron Working for Colossus, Philosophy (NC), Compass to build harbor and get some cashflow, Machinery for xbows, Navigation for Frigates (key unit in easily taking all of the capitals on the main southern continent).
    Banking for FP, Plastics for research labs, Telecommunications for United Nations, and Globalization for diplomat WC votes.

I enjoyed the map and settings. Though I usually find raging barbs annoying, this time I enjoyed farming camps all over the map all game for culture. This large map seemed much more manageable after last month’s game on a huge map (I usually play small maps).

Attached Files:

5. Rutseg

Rutseg Chieftain

Your name: Rutseg
    Game date: 1955AD
    Turns played: 375
    Base score: 1135
    Final score: 1513
    Time played: 5:35:00

In a general line my idea was to optimize gold output to buy influence and work for a religion to get extra votes from World Religion. I was unable to effectively spread my religion and I had an early struggle with the raging barbarians but I managed to obtain a large pool of coin to flow the City States while keeping up in research with the AI. The Shoshone discovered me when I was still struggling with the barbarians, I lost a worker, a settler, a warrior and an archer to bad movements, and I only managed to recover my civilians after picking up the Honor opener and buying new units. Despite my early problems to control my region and build a second city, I managed to beeline Philosophy through the Great Library. After the initial delay I managed to explore half the map and discover most Civs and City States with a couple of galleys I squished through Open Border agreements. Although I planned for a full peaceful game, when I discovered Austria (2nd Civ) I understood the menace to the City States and profited my gold was starting to flourish to make the Shoshone, Ethiopia and Byzantium to attack Austria. Once civilizations started to befriend me I denounced Austria and made its life a hell, finally entering into war with them. All this movements neutralized Austria that managed to only buy a couple of City States, and I ended the war only after I took Viena. By then my Science and Gold outputs were good enough to get all the City States to serve me, enforce World Religion and World Ideology to my interests. Only the Shoshone posed a threat as they conquered half the southern continent and built cities on other islands. They started to build the Space Ship ahead of me, but I won the first Leader election before I even researched Globalization.

I only used iron for a couple frigates, but it helped me to get early gold through trade agreements and luxury resources later on.

I stole a couple technologies, but most of the second half of the game there was nothing to steal. Diplomats where key to earn World Religion and World Ideology elections and I also allied a couple of City States through spies influence.

Being isolated with the ragging barbarians stopped me in the early stage. The tundra was not nice but there was fish and deer enough so Granaries, pantheon +1 food/camp and lake Victoria eased it somehow. Due to barbarians heavy opositon and bad luck I only discovered lake Victoria turns after funding my second city as I only managed to explore the eastern side of my island and went to pick the marble and food there.

I knew the Great Library was doable and it worked.

Tradition, Honor opener (not planned but I was struggling with the barbarians), Patronage, Commerce opener, Rationalism (2), the rest went to Ideology Freedom. I got the Forbidden Palace for 2 extra votes.

Philosophy through the Great Library, I built the academy before having a second city. Then Trapping and Mining to get the dyes. Afterwards I looked for longbows to definitely control the barbarian menace but I made a detour to get galleys for exploration and fish for extra food. Later on I prioritized gold technologies and built towards globalization as a second plan in case I could not win enough City States, but it was not necessary in the end.

The isolation + ragging barbarians made the early stage more interesting than normal. Also finding Austria early on and knowing you have a goal to stop them. I don't like Large and bigger maps as they play slow. But I decided to try out this one as I supposed I could go for a peaceful game to make it a bit more agile. The Eastern half of the map played no role in the game for me and only served to delay my machine. All was decided between Russian, Shoshones, Austria, Ethiopia, Byzantium and a little bit of France. The rest were lost to their battles and meaningful for the game.

Attached Files:

6. beetle

beetle Chieftain

Game: Civ5 GOTM 182
    Date submitted: 2019-06-15 09:37:20
    Reference number: 36526
    Your name: beetle
    Game date: 1908AD
    Turns played: 328
    Base score: 1380
    Final score: 2123
    Time played: 15:17:00
    Submitted save: Catherine_0329 AD-1909 DV.Civ5Save
    Renamed file: beetle_C518201.Civ5Save
    Double resources was very nice! The faster tiles from Krepost was noticeable too. I usually buy a number of tiles, but not this game!
    Yes, stole a couple techs early, then used spies as diplomats. 2nd WC vote no one else had unlocked Ideologies, so I could afford to bribe everyone to to pass Freedom as WI. Even with 10 civs, there was so many turns between votes, that I had time enough to rotate my diplomats through all the caps. Then the next WC vote I passed my religion as WR. 53 votes for WL at end, and I only needed 44.
    Small Continents Plus is my favorite of the shipping map scripts, so I liked that choice. Usually there is space enough for four good cities, and water enough to make it worth having a Navy. One thing I did that is unusual for me is that all three expos were inland, usually I want at least one internal sea Trade Route to feed the cap. Once I did some exploring, I decided I could fill out my starting continent with just three expos, so I did that, but the King AI is not very expansionist, so that might not have been necessary. Still, it was quite okay. I got a monopoly on Dyes, so that smoothed out my game. The only bottle neck was having only the cap to build ships. Also, it took me quite a while to find the last civ, but I hosted the WC the whole game, so no complaints there either.
    I underestimated the AI, so that caused me to missed Hanging Gardens and Forbidden Palace. Otherwise, I was much further ahead in techs than I expects, and got many wonders that I would not normally try for.
    Tradition then Patronage until Rationalism unlocked then Freedom. Rationalism finisher for Satellites then beeline to Globalization (which I had in the end, but did not need).
    Early techs were Pottery, AH, Writing. I did all the early techs before NC (which was late).
    Early BO in cap was Scout x3 (did an extra one because of raging barbs and the map size, that worked out well), Shrine, Settler, Worker, Setter x2, Worker x3, Caravans, Granary, Library
    Took Dance of the Auroras for Pantheon and got the 2nd religion with Cathedrals, Monasteries, and Papal Primacy.
    It was okay; King is the lowest difficulty that I find the least bit interesting. I like raging barbs; they were no problem and I got my Scouts leveled up quick. I dislike having ruins disabled. The top and bottom of the map being ice locked was annoying. Not having Coal on the starting continent was a nasty surprise, and it took forever for any of my CS to get the tech. I won the WL vote the first time it came up, which I think is a first for me. I have no idea really how I could have made the game faster.
    civ5ss-gotm182-t329dv.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019 at 6:28 AM