1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG187 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Oct 17, 2019.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG187 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.

- How useful was your UA?

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- What techs did you prioritize ?

- What did you think of the map and settings?

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

This was surprisingly fun. Diplomatic victory on turn 230. (I may play it again, settling in the same spots, and see if I can get below 200.) This on was the first vote, which I triggered by getting to the information era. I was about 30 techs ahead at that point. I had all the cities states, plus France voted for me (54 votes total, I think 44 were needed for a win) I will post screen shots and the civsave file Monday, it's on my other computer and I left it at work.

I did 4 city Tradition (might should have settled a 5th city to get marble) and every city had a mountain for an observatory. I moved my starting settler south one tile to a hill next to the mountain, my second city was on the cotton to the SE (that was my Petra city), 3rd was next to Gibraltar, and the fourth (kinda late) was NE to get some horses and another plantation luxury (dyes?).

The triple gold from clearing barb camps was useful in the early-mid game to keep my economy afloat, although with all those salt tiles I never really had a negative GPT problem before Commerce like in most games. And "war canoes" was useful for clearing camps on all the little islands. Triple gold from capturing cities never really was an issue.

I put recruit spies in Goa as counterspies mainly to level them up to "agent", then moved them to city states. And I focused on cultural CS first.

Don't know. It took forever to find all the civs, and Continents Plus meant it took a while to find any city states -- but because I had a tech lead I found almost all of them first.

With the low difficulty and high production start, I went for Great Library (I almost never attempt GL.) I also didn't need much military except to deal with barbs, but the barbs were a big problem for the first 100 turns because the AI's didn't deal with them like they do at high difficulties.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    Tradition opener, Honor opener, finish Tradition, Patronage, Rationalism, Freedom(6), Commerce. I might have taken Order, but I didn't have any coal and couldn't get any until the game was almost over. I don't think any of the AI's picked an ideology. Commerce was not really necessary, Exploration might have been better but I didn't go there because I had Great Lighthouse.

- What techs did you prioritize?
    Pottery, Mining, Writing, Banking (Forbidden Palace), Astronomy (caravels and observatories), Scientific Theory, Radio, Plastics, Satellites.

So much salt! I gave most of it away for free (had plenty of GPT from Machu Picchu and I guess Gibraltar, and happiness was seldom a problem) so all the AI's loved me except for Japan -- I declared war on them pretty early just to liberate Paris (that's the only city I captured) and Oda never forgave me for that. Quick pace and large map was a little weird; that's why I prioritized the Great Lighthouse.

3. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Well,this 's a Interesting game.I won at 156t in my second challenge.First challenge,I entered the information age at 154t and Voted for the first meeting,at 155T I had to make a proposal for the second meeting first,Then we could start the voting process for world leader.So I won at 184T.
    I'm not satisfied with the result.In the first round of the game,I used tradition as the main policy tree and build 8 cities,and captured 2 cities from France.Because I entered the information age in 154T,after discussion I think I can enter the information age in 145t.
    In the second round I changed the main policy tree to Liberty,it works.I got a worker first,because I had to build a national college first.This worker developed the salts quickly.After national college,need 3T to got a settler,I had build a boat to explore the world.Before 100T I found everyone.
    After Collective Rule,I quickly built four cities,the Liberty let me establish the foundation of development faster.Because of the unhappiness I could't build more.After education,religion giave me plenty of happiness,I had built three new cities,for sea transportation and coals.
    Before entering the age of Enlightenment,I tried to study printing and open Parliament.After spending 6T on physics and mechanics,I noticed that the meeting had to be postponed,and I had to open
    Rationalism policy tree when the new policy comes.I turned my research to astronomy,with 2T left, the new policy came,I used a scientist to research it.This mistake delayed the observatory by 6T.
    The meeting needs to be voted after 20T,change of membership need 4T.At 122T,I studied printing and opened Parliament.Then I had to enter the information age at 145t at the latest,otherwise I would repeat the first ending.
    My policies were rapidly moving towards Free Thought and Hero Of The People、Skyscrapers、Workers Faculties of Order,moved forward to the information age at the fastest speed.In this process, the role of three writers is very important.
    Under the plan of fine cutting,I cut off the growth of the citities,all expert slots were used,my scientists were just able to provide enough scientific research for the ecology.At 145T I used Oxford to research Communication,at this time, there was just 1T for the first meeting to vote.
    I used the last Writer to picked the Five Year Plan,and research chemistry immediately.In the next 7T,I demolished the shrines and built them again,used the Overcharge-Production convert to gold,I bought all the city-states.
    The autosaves I had upload,every save interval 5T,who interest in can download and research.

Attached Files:

4. vadalaz

vadalaz King

I won on turn 154. Didn't delay PP this time as I just wanted to play a relaxing game rather than a race against the turn countdown.

6-city Liberty, GE finisher for NC -> Piety and Patronage openers -> Rationalism -> Order. Settled my 6th city a bit late as my early scouting was stunted by barbarians and I didn't see the Spices spot at first. No Coal anywhere, so picking Order didn't really pay off.

Pretty sure you can sub-140 this map if you delay PP and get a very strong start. The endgame science push didn't seem difficult at all, the early game was more of a challenge - I only managed to get Education pretty late on turn 87. Fun map regardless.

Attached Files:

5. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Banana: Can you explain that shrine hammer overflow thing? I understand you destroy the shrine and rebuild it, and you have a lot of hammers left over for that turn which gets applied to the next thing you build, and you build gold the next turn. But how does that give you more than just building gold for 2 turns? (should give you a little less) Does it have something to do with the Piety opener?

BTW, I played this again, taking the Tradition opener (to unlock Hanging Gardens) and then straight Honor (and Patronage, Exploration opener, Rationalism.) I settled 5 cities and fought no wars at all (my economy was based on killing barbs, and gifting captured galleys and triremes to CS's), and also won in just over 200 turns -- same times as Tradition, but it was a quite different game. I haven't tried Liberty yet.

6. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

zxcvbob: When you finish a building, the overflow hammer will move to the next building, the limit of overflow is the maximum value between the current city's production round or current building needs hammer, the extra will be converted into gold(1:1).
    For example: The shrine needs 40 hammer, now your city's basic hammer is 100. When you have Piety opener and buid shrine, the current city's production is 200 hammer(>40), the overflow hammer is 160. Next turn you demolished the shrine and built it again, shrine will get 360 hammer, the overflow hammer is 320(>200), the hammer more than 200 will be converted into gold, you get 120 gold in this turn. From the next turn, you do it again and again, you will get 160 gold per turn.
    Now you should notice, if you buil gold, conversion ratio is 25%, you just get 25 gold per turn, the overflow hammer is 160 gold per turn.
    It's not just Piety that can do it, Hero Of The People it's the same effect, just a monument instead of a shrine.
    Why use Piety opener? Because of the high proportion of bonus, and there were no side effects, for example 2 happiness.
    Even if you don't have any bonus, you can use the overflow hammer too. For example, After 2 rounds, you can unlock the construction right of a wonder, but now you only need one turn to finish a building, you can adjust your production capacity to 99% of the round's completion, next turn you will get 99% production per turn as overflow hammer, it's equivalent to building the wonder one turn in advance

7. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

So that's the main reason you take the Piety opener -- but you take it early enough to get some use out of it while still settling cities. I understood about using the overflow one turn before you unlock a wonder. (I've never torn down a shrine or monument to do it, but I have built really cheap stuff like a scout right before unlocking something important) I will have to try it now with a production bonus to see how it works with the gold. :) Thanks!

8. foxsaid

foxsaid Chieftain

A better map than 186, of course. Not only the neighbor is nearer but also the types of Luxury is more than before, which makes 187 easier than 186. Victory on turn 169.

Mud Pyramid Mosque is a core of my game. I open Piety and got Theocracy after Collective Rule, and build UB in stead of Monument in my new city. It gives me lots of gold and Faith. Besides, triple gold makes a little help, I buy a Colosseum in my 4th city by those cash to built Circus Maximus early.

No,they are useless.

Because of Raging Barbarians, I have to get Archery and build archer at first. it also hinder me to find all the CIV and City-state. BananaGod once told me that his game needs Great Lighthouse to find Siam in time, I tried but find it unnecessary in my game. Another different is game pace. Traditional Diplomacy Victory is based on Arsenal of Democracy and knights, Songhai may have a little advantage because his Mandekalu Cavalry is cheaper than a knight. I once to choose Freedom, but quick pace weaken the effects. So Order is chosen at last. I change my plan, attack Paris just to get coal and finally bring France back to life from Japan, as a reborn CIV, he have to vote me for saving him.

How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

Some important wonder. The Great Library to Philosophy and Oracle to Rationalism is possible.

What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

Tradition open- Collective Rule(Liberty)- Theocracy(Piety)- Consulates(Patronage)- Secularism(Rationalism)- Jesuit Education (Reformation)- Five-Year Plan and Workers' Faculties(Order)- Reformation closed-other Policies which is not important.

What techs did you prioritize ?

Mining for salt- Archery- Writing for wonder- Calendar for free Philosophy, then all is forgotten.

What did you think of the map and settings?

It is a map of salt, and it has desert. So it can’t be a bad map at all, right? Maybe the next time it is a map of sugar in marsh, or a marine luxury which is a little challenging

Attached Files:

9. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

When do you and @BananaGod start bulbing your accumulation of great scientists? I think that's what I'm doing wrong; why I can't quite break 200. (I wait until a few turns after Plastics where I buy research labs in my high-pop cities) I fly through the the tech tree and get to the Information age a few turns later (usually Telecommunications but sometimes Satellites) with scientists left over. Then I fill in the rest of the Atomic era techs (which I don't need) while waiting for the world leader vote.

10. foxsaid

foxsaid Chieftain

well, Bob, it isn't necessary to fly through the the tech tree when Diplomacy Victory. you just need to get Ecology by closed Reformation and cost all great scientists, then use Oxford University to get Telecommunications and start the Information age on the next turn. After that ,you just need Globalization before waiting to vote. That is why some people dislike Diplomacy Victory, the victory time is identified by the time you get Telecommunications. and you can't do anything to help you win soon.
    If you ask me when to cost great scientists, I think Steam Power is a good opportunity. Do not get any unnecessary tech, so you are going to win before 200 easily.

11. vadalaz

vadalaz King

I almost always bulb one GS for Sci Theory and one more for Plastics (often Replaceable Parts instead to start building Statue of Liberty ASAP), sometimes I'll bulb Radio as well. I don't like Oxfording Radio because there are too many other things to build around that time. Finding the perfect balance of pre- and post-Plastics bulbs can be tricky, but generally you can be pretty aggressive with early bulbing if:

- you expect your endgame bpt to be so high that you won't need that many GSs later
    - your faith game is strong (at least 2 faith GSs in a diplo game, 3 in a science game)
    - you're bulbing for SciTheory/Plastics and you have enough gold to buy several schools/labs immediately
    - you have some bonuses to GS generation, like Babylonian or Swedish UA, or Science Funding, or maybe just early gardens in every city

12. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

This was very helpful. :) The most important difference I see between your play and mine is the use of trade routes. I mostly use them to send production to new cities until they got their watermills, granaries, lighthouses up, then sent them to city states for gold and occasionally influence. I might dedicate one for food to my capital so it can work the guilds and still grow. You use yours exclusively for internal food routes. I also can't get the timing right for opening Telecommunications and have to wait 20 turns for the world leader vote.

13. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I've played a couple of more times; still can't beat 200, but what has worked the best for me (and was the most fun) was an Honor/Piety start. I never touched Tradition or Liberty :D Eventually took all the right-side Honor policies, full Piety (Jesuit Education reformation), Patronage opener to unlock Forbidden Palace, and Rationalism. The ideology probably doesn't really matter but I took Freedom. Used internal trade routes to build up 5 or 6 huge cities, and I proposed International Games when the information era was getting close for the +30 influence with every city state. I saved Oxford to use for Telecommunications. I already had some influence with most of the CS's from gifting surplus military units, so between that, Consulates which I took really late, and Globalism I didn't need to buy any for the win (but bought most of them anyway just to make sure one of the AI's didn't coup a few on the last turn)

14. choraltrickster

choraltrickster Chieftain

So much great information here. Thanks everyone for sharing your insights and experience

15. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Doubting I'll ever want to put the effort into the gimmicky fast Diplomacy victories that were discussed here.....I am getting back into Civ 5 after a long break due to laptop issues. So, was good to see a GoM I could handle difficulty wise. We won on turn 267.

My only problem is it took me forever to find the last few civs and city states. I initially wanted to try a cultural victory.....then when realized how long it was taking me to find everyone, just went for science. Then I won diplomatic by accident, because my civ was so big and strong and wealthy.....I was nearing science victory, but would've taken longer. I really messed up in not trying my best to find everyone earlier.

Unit was a little helpful with early relentless barbs. The building was of more interest and help....was the reason I wanted to try cultural victory initially, also.

Not really....usually don't.....just use them in my own cities.

As mentioned above....hindered me a lot.....should've sent a few triremes out way earlier.....but my one trireme was too busy protecting my trade routes and dealing with barb boats. In retrospect, needed a few more to scout for other land masses.

Prince is about as good as I got, when I left off playing Civ 5. So, challenging enough for me.

I almost invariably go with Liberty for the free worker and settler and did the same here. Then Patronage at least for the first 2 or 3. Then had to make the decision on what type of win, and changed to Science and went that direction. Then Freedom, for all the happiness and food benefites and the ability to buy spaceship parts.

- What techs did you prioritize ?

Attached Files:

16. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

Fun game, loved the salt start with the nice Petra site next to the cotton. Nearly identical to zxcvbob's write-up- France voted for me, etc, except i tried something new and went 3 city (mistake). Still managed: a t224 win. Started bulbing 10-20(?more) turns too late.

17. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

That game was fun to play.
    Diplo win on turn 223.

Went tradition and spread my religion on our continent.
    Honor & Piety opener as well, then I think full patronage, don't remember when the first parts of Rationalism came

Found a 5th and 6th city in the middle, and 7&8 after being in the information era.

I guess, I spent too much money too early on allying CSes, did get only a few Great people and then somehow that stopped.
    I guess, spending money on the science buildings would have been more succesful.

Got a few faith based Great people, that was nice.

In the end I even finished Piety, taking the enhancement where Inquisitors and other GP remove less of my religion and started spreading to the other continent...

Didn't need the help of other Civs to win the vote.