1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG195 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Jun 16, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG195 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.

- How useful was your UA?

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- What techs did you prioritize ?

- What did you think of the map and settings?

2. foxsaid

foxsaid Chieftain

DV on T205

Attached Files:

3. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Warlord

This GOTM has time limit at turn 300, 1400AD. I suppose this is a mistake in GOTM settings. What should I do? To continue the game till my Domination Victory?

4. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I'm only on about turn 200 so I hadn't noticed this yet. The turn limit does not stop a domination victory; it does stop all the other victories so now you don't have to worry about an AI running away with science, diplomacy, etc. I'll "just one more turn" and keep going.

I will be amazed if even our friends from China can win this one in 300 turns, but I suppose it *might* be possible.

5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Moved above two posts to AAR because they contain spoiler info. Please observe the rule that once you open a save, do not post in the Announcement thread, ever! If you have a questions of the map maker, please start a conversation with them. Thanks.

6. beetle

beetle Deity

Game is crashing on me, T363, so I don’t think I will be able to continue. I have restarted my computer, and tried starting from the T361 autosave, but that is about all the troubleshooting that has ever made a difference with type of error. It is a pretty rare problem for me, but does seem to happen more often with Huge maps.

7. Jovan Kukic

Jovan Kukic Warlord

Domination victory, turn 392.

Denmark attacked me early, having huge advantage in number of units, but I managed to defend because their troops delayed direct attack on Utique, roaming around Utique and Carthage, wondering where to attack. They lost their army, except one warrior which managed to retreat. Later I revenged by pillaging around their capital with my warriors.
    I had more defensive wars with Denmark and France, but unfortunately for them, once such wars came at the moment when I planned to attack them, which resulted in loss of Danish capital and most important French cities. French managed to capture Motya, but then I liberated it, and then took their best cities, oil was one of the reasons to take them.
    I used battleships and various melee ships for conquest. Before Order ideology for happiness and battleships for bombardment, any offensive war seemed senseless.

Very useful, I got free harbor in all cities except continental Utique.

Only passive, for city-state elections.

Ideal map for Carthage.

I needed to keep some ca$h in order to buy some defense in case of sudden attack.

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
    Liberty and Rationalism.
    Order.

Scientific till public schools, then naval militaristic.

Ideal map for Carthage.

Attached Files:

8. urbis

urbis Chieftain

Got to turn 300, game declared I'd been defeated :-( Had taken Danish capital and several other cities, but had expensively failed to capture Marakesh. Several other civs well ahead, but I felt like I had a path to domination, so disappointed with unexpected finish.

9. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Do the "just one more turn" thing and keep playing.

10. urbis

urbis Chieftain

Thanks dude, will do :)

11. fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks Chieftain

First GOTM in about 17 years. Last time I played one was a Rome GOTM for Civ 3 in 2003!

DV on turn 269. Harald attacked me early (turn 41) and lost most of his military attacking Carthage. After that I kept a few warriors and a scout lurking outside his borders and grabbed workers and settlers from him until eventually capturing Copenhagen on turn 149. Luckily Harald had built Statue of Zeus so that made the rest of the game a lot easier with the city attach bonus.

I went straight for the Great Lighthouse and got it knowing this would be a naval battle scenario. I knew I'd need a ranged navy to capture effectively so after getting Optics and the techs for developing local resources it was a rush to get Galleas' to bombard cities before capturing with Quinqueremes. This was the blueprint for France (turn 189), Morocco (turn 205), Sweden (turn 212) and Germany (turn 217). Around that time I paused to get the techs for Caravels and Frigates and then upgraded and continued capturing with an upgraded navy with Monson Kahni falling on turn 243, Assur on turn 248, Edinburgh on turn 257, Mecca on turn 266, Tenochitlan on 267, and Warsaw on turn 269 for the win. I had two naval squadrons, but three might have yielded a faster win. Figuring out how to get places before ocean-going ships was tricky. My biggest goof was not taking the German city that had iron in a peace deal with Bismark. I had the option but took gold instead, which was a bad deal since I had to shell out 2000 gold to Ally Cahokia and get a few more iron for Frigate upgrades.

Not all that much - a better trireme isn't that useful since most of the time I was using it to attach cities already bombarded to zero.

No. Even though I was behind for most of the game I was ahead in the techs at the top of the tree that actually mattered. I grabbed a few inconsequential techs from Poland.

It helped a lot because the speed to reach enemy capitals and the ease of attacking them from the water.

I rushed a worker and mining first thing to get the copper on-line and have the ability to chop forests to help speed the Great Lighthouse knowing it would be a close shave.

Tradition into Exploration for the +1 site and movement.

Top tier naval techs.

I wasn't sure my PC would handle a huge map well (it's well past due for replacement and overheats playing civ 5 if the room temperature gets above 20C!) but it did fine and only crashed once, lol.

Overall, this was a lot of fun and I look forward to participating in more Civ 5 GOTMs

Nizef likes this.
  12. raider980

raider980 Warlord

Time ran out loss T300.

I don't see how people finished this map in 200 some turns. I can't even explore the whole map in that time much less stop to take cities.

Harold attacked early but I fought him off easily.
    Spoiler T71. Harold attacks Carthage :
    T71 Harold attacks.jpg
    [/SPOILER]

It took me until T180 something to capture Denmark's two main cities.
    Spoiler T175 :
    T175 I attack.jpg
    [/SPOILER]

Pocotello really wanted a city on that island.
    Spoiler T301 And this is not even all of the barb settlers on this island :
    Pocotello settlers.jpg
    [/SPOILER]

Free Harbors were awesome. Made instant city connections for my pantheon of science from city connections. The UU, Quinquereme, is not as good as I thought thought. It still can't take cities, especially when there's a very narrow band of coastal tiles.

Game ended before I could spy.

Hindered. I've come to realize I don't like big maps, especially for domination. It just takes way to long to move around.

Prioritized naval techs.

I like water maps. But not the size. Especially for it being Epic limited to 300 turns. And no city razing is not good.

I'd like to make a request of GotM. Can No City Razing be turned off? It is not much fun to not be able to raze cities. Also, can we not limit the game to less than the normal number of turns for a given speed? Maybe once in a blue moon for these settings but certainly not more often than that.

13. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

Tradition? Liberty? Mostly naval?
    Thanks,