TSG196 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG196 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.

- How useful was your UA?

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- What techs did you prioritize ?

- What did you think of the map and settings?

Turn 226 I quit because it wasn't fun.

I started over; figured the problem the first time might have been me. The first time I went Tradition and then Exploration, and hadn't explored very far to the west before the first war with Shaka. (that war was costly for both of us; for him in units, for me in opportunity) The second war with Shaka was when I quit.

Second attempt I went straight Honor (right side to Military Caste, then left side, then the finisher on the right) After the first Battle of Carthage, I stayed at war with Shaka just taking pot-shots at his units for the XP but no serious fighting on either side. I had an elephant in the badlands to the northwest killing barbs for culture and gold. There were so many barbs there, that elephant got in trouble a couple of times. Anyway, eventually Shaka offered me a bunch of luxs for peace and I accepted, meanwhile I was teching towards Compass as fast as I could. Shaka was building up his army to attack me again, but when war was imminent I paid him to attack Morocco instead Meanwhile I built galleasses (sp?) and elephants. Eventually he declared war again, and this time the war lasted a long time, until there was nothing left of the Zulu empire except one crappy puppet city far off to the west. My spy has stolen a lot of techs but I'm still in last place and way behind the front-runners. (even so, the AI's are starting to steal techs from me) Revealing the map is taking forever, even with 5 ships out exploring with the Exploration extra sight and movement. I screwed up and declared friendship with too many of the AI's and it takes forever for those to expire at epic pace, but I'm about to attack Marrakesh with range-and-logistics frigates, and hopefully I will have submarines soon. I will need submarines (and maybe triplanes and carriers) to fight Arabia because he may have those already; I think he's next, which gets me some nice wonders like Forbidden Palace. All I want is capitals at this point. Don't know if I'll finish the game because my PC is having trouble running it, but it's going a *lot* better.

Took forever, but I eventually did grind this game out, T654 (2002 AD, final score, 3385).
How useful was your UA?
Love the free Harbors! I picked up Messengers of the Gods which basically doubled my early science. Also helps with Liberty and Happiness.
Did you use spying to your advantage?
Some. I usually stop after my spy is killed, so that limits the potential. I never did catch any spies myself, so that was odd.
Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
Good map type for the UA! All my founded cities were coastal
How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
Immortal meant I could not mess around too much.
What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
Liberty then Honor. Rationalism then Order (very late, I was 6th).
What techs did you prioritize?
Mostly whatever unlocked my next unit upgrade.
What did you think of the map and settings?
Epic is growing on me! I really do not care for No City Razing, especially aiming for DomVC. I was able to erase a couple trash cities with nukes though.

Scary to find Shaka as your neighbor! But that helped to keep the early game very interesting. I captured Ulundi T132. Marrakech was T212. No other caps were at all timely. I built six of the UU, and got a good number of GG from them, but only survived to Calvary, and he did not make it to Landship. I was mostly using naval units at that point.

I'm not gonna finish this one. No way I'm grinding out 600 turns on a huge map :D

I conquered Marrakech turn 212 (same as you, beetle :goodjob:!). I just needed about 5 galleys and 2 quinqueremes, plus 2 or 3 ground forces to distract the opponent from the other side.

Zulu capital wasn't a huge problem, conquered them early with comp. bows and spears. I forward settled a city east of the citrus, and from there it was more or less a cakewalk. I have 3 cities now (4 with Marrakech but they're still in resitance).

I still haven't found all our opponents, I'm in contact with about 6 of them. I'm 3 turns away from Astronomy, so I may continue playing a bit until I explore all the map.

As for conquest, I'd like to capture the Iroquois capital next becuase it has Great Lighthouse (more speed for my navy). I'd have to go past Japan first though, either peacefully or taking his capital on the way, but that's gonna be tough as he is 1st in millitary.

Anyway, I guess I'll just get some caravels, explore what I can of the map and then call it a day.

I'm enjoying the Epic game speed, gives you more time for everything :)

Top Bottom