TSG211 After Action

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG211 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.
Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.
- How useful was your UA?
- Did you use spying to your advantage?
- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- What techs did you prioritize ?
- What did you think of the map and settings?
- Did you enjoy your game?

Won Diplo victory turn 285.

Screenshot_20220304_223946.png

With the Mayan Pyramid, I got the Gods of the Open Sky pantheon pretty soon, for loads of culture from all those cattle, sheep, and horses.

Went liberty. For a long time I only had 3 cities: Palenque, Chichen Itza, and Tikal, as my happiness wouldn't allow me to expand more.
Beelined Theology, which I got in turn 68.
Got the first extra GP from Maya's trait in turn 72 (a GS, which I planted next to the capital - science went up from 31 to 43).

When happiness allowed, built Uxmal to the north to claim the extra silver and the Natural Wonder.
Later I built 2 more cities: One on the sea southeast with Furs and Sugar, and one "backfill" between the coastal city and Almaty (with another Sugar).

Turn 208 - Radio - adopted Freedom ideology
Turn 224 - Plastics

Turn 285 - Won the world leader vote.

Last edited:
Won Diplo victory turn 285.

With the Mayan Pyramid, I got the Gods of the Open Sky pantheon pretty soon, for loads of culture from all those cattle, sheep, and horses.

Went liberty. For a long time I only had 3 cities, Chichen Itza and Tikal, as my happiness wouldn't allow me to expand more.
Beelined Theology, which I got in turn 68.
Got the first extra GP from Maya's trait in turn 72 (a GS, which I planted next to the capital - science went up from 31 to 43).

When happiness allowed, built Uxmal to the north to claim the extra silver and the Natural Wonder.
Later I built 2 more cities, one on the sea southeast with Furs and Sugar, and one "backfill" between the coastal city and Almaty, which had Sugar as well.

Turn 208 - Radio - adopted Freedom ideology
Turn 224 - Plastics

Turn 285 - Won the world leader vote.

Did Boudicca give you any problems? When I played it, I had a city near where Bursa is on your map, and she declared war and tried to take it. I repelled the attack and chased her back to Edinburgh and captured it. Then everybody hated me. But it looks like the Ottomans took care of that for you :)

Did Boudicca give you any problems? When I played it, I had a city near where Bursa is on your map, and she declared war and tried to take it. I repelled the attack and chased her back to Edinburgh and captured it. Then everybody hated me. But it looks like the Ottomans took care of that for you :)

Not really. I made sure my military was one of the strongest, so I didn't get DOWed by any AI.

However: Boudica did capture Bogota at one point, which was my ally... so I liberated it. Then I made peace as I wasn't interested in her other cities. I took all her gold though :lol:

Last edited:
Maybe we would get more posts here if we let go of the requirement to have completed & submitted your game. (Is anyone still officially submitting games?)

Especially as there is no "Opening Actions" thread anymore.

I often don't complete my GOTMs. In this particular game, being a Diplo game: As soon as I saw when the Diplo Victory Vote was going to be, I found it hard to get motivated to click through the last 20 turns or so. I knew I would win it, and when, so why bother?

In this case, I did so anyway so I could post here. But maybe there are others like me who didn't?

Anyway, it would be great to bring the Civ5 GOTM back to life (at least a bit). I don't like playing Civ 6, and I already considered going back to Civ 4 as the Civ 4 GOTM seems to be a lot more active than the Civ 5 one! I would have to relearn all the game mechanics though :)

Last edited:
Maybe we would get more posts here if we let go of the requirement to have completed & submitted your game. (Is anyone still officially submitting games?)

As a nearly always lurker, I agree. The (probably not enforced) need for save game files and other details puts me off responding. There's clearly interest in the thread - though its only got 4 replies, there's 600+ views.

SdMHauptstadt.jpg SdMDemographie.jpg Finally I got registrated!

Hello everybody. I have wanted to post my first game of the month here for three weeks but I had problems with registration. But now I´m in.

A pity that I stumbled over this great website only this month playing Civ V for two years now. I started playing Civ I, II, III and Colonization in my youth but then had a break for a long time. Now I am back.

What a great idea to make a "game of the month"! And fortunately it fitted quite well to my actual level of playing. I´m playing level 4 and 5 most of the time as I don´t want to spend too much time to think over decisions. I just wanna have fun.

So here´s my game of the month. It was quite tough at the beginning to NOT restart the game, which was forbidden by the rules, as I got surprised by the Celts and lost my western town and almost lost my capital, too! It was already shot down but I was able to put a swordsman into the way and then I fought back until the Celts were history. When I captured Edinburgh the Iroquois attacked in the east and it was the same story again: The city was already shot down and ready to enter when I was able to throw a horseman into the attacker´s way.

From the minute when I saved my eastern town the game was won: I could play off my strengths (strong culture, growth ot the cities) and control my opponents. Even the Ottomans who are the most inpredictable civ in the game (at least in the 160 games I´ve played so far) stayed calm.
When they attacked the Germans I joined and captured the German cities. Otherwise the frontline to the Ottoman Empire would have been too long.
The same with the Iroquois: When they attacked Venice I helped Enrico to save his little kingdom and threw back the Indian people.

Here´s the proof of my win:
SdMDiplomatiesieg.jpg

Finally I got registrated!

Hello everybody. I have wanted to post my first game of the month here for three weeks but I had problems with registration. But now I´m in.
Welcome to CivFanatics and Game of the Month. Best of luck in your games.... :wavey:

Finally finished. I won and lost at the same time. I got a CV on T305 about 15 turns before the first world leader vote, which I would have won handily because I had all the CS, Forbidden Palace, World Religion and I had resurrected the Celts. Lol, I can't win a CV when I try to do it but now I mistakenly win one and lose the GotM.

In the Announcement thread I mentioned that I would probably settle in place because I doubted there would be anything worth moving. But I was wrong; I moved the warrior west and saw a Gold Lux that I could get in the third ring if I moved and that would give me a 3-lux capital. So I moved the settler west across the river and settled there.

The UA gave me lots of Great People of course and God of the Open Sky pantheon gave me tons of culture with all those pastures locations around. I settled 7 cities and captured 2 more. I got first religion and spread it far and wide; I even overtook the Holy City of a couple AI for a little while.

• Hiawatha kept sending prophets to convert my cities so I had to DoW him twice to stop him. Then I stayed at war with him until I was able to get enough Inquisitors just to keep his prophets out.
  • The Ottomans were the aggressor in this game. He wiped out The Celts fairly early and took Paris so the rest of the world hated him. Fine by me, I joined in and DoW him just to get a city to build Neuschwanstein.
  • I liberated Cardiff and resurrected The Celts so they would vote for me for WL.
  • I captured Venice before he could co-opt any City States; I always end up taking out Venice if I can to prevent the gobbling up of CS.
Was a fun game even though I messed it up by not paying attention to the victory condition progress.

Regarding what @sebtanic and @armcie said; its up to the mods but if it gets more participation, I would be in favor of changing the wording to say something like "... until you have completed and submitted your game or finished playing it and are posting the results here". I've never submitted a game actually but I post my results here win, lose or retire (I didn't read the instruction closely I guess but figured if I'm done, its ok to post here). Plus, I often don't finish before the deadline. Also, I can't find where the submission results; I see the ones for Civ 3 and Civ 4 but not Civ 5.

Attachments

• Western Mayan Empire.jpg
    Western Mayan Empire.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Eastern Mayan Empire.jpg
    Eastern Mayan Empire.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 35
I see someone posted finishing after 3/31 so guess I will try to finish my game and post it...was waiting for someone to answer me in the Game start thread.

Ok here you go....probably should have/could have won far earlier...the tactic of eliminating all but one AI....but Hiawatha's little corner of the map was very tough sledding to conquer...gave up that idea....did declare on him a few times earlier in the game for my usual reasons..an AI civ spreading their damned religion, even after saying they would stop....he had prophets and missionaries all over the place. But, he also had the +30 ranged attack from cities and the Great Wall....and tons of units....so gave up that idea.....Suleiman was also my chief rival...but he was my friendly bud and never made me mad once the entire game...so I left him and his vast empire alone. It helped more that my religion finally got strong enough and I was able to put Inquistors in many of my border cities...so I think he gave up on trying to shift my civ to his religion.

Also erred that after Bismark angered me and I decided he had to go...he had taken Venice and their converted Byblos....I thought maybe if I liberated Byblos, it would go back to a city state...I have never done this before so had no idea eliminated AI leaders could be resurrected! Ugh...but really, in the end, even though he took two more city states, it didn't even impact my win.

Problem was didn't get first vote until turn 406...so won on 407. I had built the Forbidden Palace, had gotten my religion and my ideology...so had enough votes even with Venice's impacts.

Not sure what else I could have done by eliminating all but Sulieman....so some won before turn 300...but I haven't been playing much Prince of late...tend to play Warlord for more fun games.

I did have a ton of cities though...all around the middle C/S...kind of a circle....think had 17 cities at the end.

It was an interesting diplo game though...given the remoteness of some of the city states and Venice. and Hiawatha and Bismarck are two of he more annoying AI civs....Suleiman had a 300 lead on me for Manila....I had to give them like 3k! And, my spies helped turn the tides. Suleiman also did take out the Celts and French for me.

So, 1987 and turn 407...pretty weak, but I'll take the win.

Attachments

• Pacal_0407 AD-1987.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
t264 - "diplomatic" victory. 5 cities of my own, all but 2 other capitals (to force the vote in the Atomic era).
Still got Globalization just in time to make it 39 votes (36/37 w/o Globalization would have been enough).

Not a great enough start (for me) to get the vote after the first round of voting

Three early wars (no real fighting) to steal settlers and get $ in settlement.

After settling 5th city near the cotton to the south, Germany and Ottomans joint declared, but quickly regretted it
and were eliminated, then the others on the left side of the map. (finishing w/ crossbows).

Mistakes: many. Should have killed Venice instead of another. Better build order. Major happiness problems. Too long to theology, ...

(did this after the deadline, so no submission).

(did this after the deadline, so no submission).
I don't know if anyone does actual submissions anymore. I play them just for fun and like being able to compare notes with others playing the same game. Sometimes I go back and replay old ones when enough time has passed that I don't remember anything about them.

Top Bottom