TSG45 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG45 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Did you use your UU and how successful was it?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- Was the Polder improvement useful?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 45
Date submitted: 2012-10-01
Reference number: 27341
Your name: Schalke 04
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1098
Final score: 1861
Time played: 6:17:00

Here is my empire at turn 296:
Spoiler :

key problems / steps:
- Like mentioned in the first spoiler thread, I was beaten for a religion by THREE civilizations, AFTER I reached the 200 faith treshold. I was like 5 or 6 turns with more than 200 faith without getting a prophet. So later I lost my god of the sea production focus and could not go for the 15% production bonus... However, my capital stayed without a religion for the whole game. It was just too big to adopt another religion :D
- I was unsure how and where to settle my cities. Plus I connected my luxuries a little bit too late for my liking. So I guess I could have done the first 80-100 turns better
- Sea beggar was non existent for me. Didn't play any role in my game, and I didn't even built one.
- Polders were awesome.
- the lux trading advantage was quite helpful, especially with big cities. With one or two small exceptions I could always sell all of my luxuries and still stay happy.
- I just had two friends and therefore RA-partners. First with Russia and Spain. Later with Russia and England. I didn't know if it was safe to make more DOF. I was scared that I would lose my existing ones if I tried.
- No cultural CS in this game... Therefore I built Petra and Alhambra in my capital just for fun / to increase culture, and tried to build cultural buildings in my cities when possible/reasonable. Chitchen Itza helped me too, with my two natural golden ages.
- SP:
1. Full Tradition.
2. Commerce left side (to get an admiral for scouting, and the 3 production - all my cities were coastal)
3. Rationalism (all but Sovereignty)
4. Order and Planned Economy for the science boost
5. Rationalism Sovereignty for the finisher
- no Aluminum in my lands! Still not problematic. I allied two CSs that had access to it, and it was not a problem to buy some aluminum from other civs.
- I could get a lot of GS. The first one was settled near my capital. Once I GE-rushed the Hubble, I went on full science in all my cities for 8 turns (peaking around 1000 beaker per turn). After that I bulbed all of my GSs. Then the rationalism finisher went in. And the last two techs were done by my last incoming RA. All in all the final tech rush part worked better than I expected. OK, there is probably much room for improvement, but I'm quite happy with it.
- Completely forgot that I cannot rush Apollo with a GE. Well I learned that the hard way... :D
- noone ever attacked me
- Polders still count as march when it comes to movement cost. Regardless, I didn't build roads in my empire and waited for the very late harbours... That may have been a wrong decision, since trade route income came too late. However, in the last turns I started on a road network, just to ensure that my spaceship parts reach the capital in time... :D

Date submitted: 2012-10-02
Reference number: 27343
Your name: bablo
Game date: 1884AD
Turns played: 312
Base score: 1269
Final score: 2046
Time played: 5:44:00

My first completed GOTM. Was pretty ok for me since I've been playing on Emperor lately and I'm kinda fond of Dutch.

My first completed GOTM. Was pretty ok for me since I've been playing on Emperor lately and I'm kinda fond of Dutch.
Congrats on your win. :thumbsup:

Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

A slow time, but a victory none-the-less. I only built three cities and played a peaceful game throughout. Catherine became the dominant AI in my game, killing off both the Celts and the French. She also declared on me 10, or so, turns from the end, but I easily held her off with battleships and bombers while I built the last spaceship part.

I have not played William before and I am not convinced that the polder is of enormous benefit in the long run. I suppose the main value is that the food boost it provides comes much earlier than that which comes with fertilizer.

Reference number: 27346
Your name: Suntechnique
Game date: 1808AD
Turns played: 274
Base score: 1950
Final score: 3611
Time played: 4:06:00

Settled in place and got biggest city in my civ history: 46 citizens.

Policies: Full Tradition, 2 in Patronage, Full Rationalism.

Few errors to mention:
- slow start due to GL+NC handikap
- Due to no incoming AI scouts decided that I'm on isolated island so didn't really scouted bottom part of it. Turned out that on Emperor AI just doesn't scout that much. Thus missed early gold from selling sugar and embassies.
- misclicked prophet and wasted it on improvement instead of spreading religion.
- decided to build Sidney's Opera in secondary city to get Order to buy Engineer for faith to settle it to speedup spaceship. Turned out that engineer didn't gave enough hammers to even save one turn. Could save few turns if just simply build 1 or 2 boosters in that city.

Didn't even bother to create one.
Spying was very weak. No technologies, only diplomacy bonuses for intrigues.
Religion: took 2 faith from quarries which gave good faith at start so I dominated the continent. Other were: 15% production, 15% growth and Tithe. Gold from Tithe was especially good, about 100 per turn last century.
incredibly, huge city with production. Polder with oil underneath was even better.

Reference number: 27347
Your name: flairin
Game date: 1872AD
Turns played: 307
Base score: 1201
Final score: 1968
Time played: 5:48:00
Submitted save: William_0307 AD-1874.Civ5Save

first submission... launched on t306

So I had no friends, hence did not benefit from any RA's... hard teched and bulbed. Missed out on Scientist from Porcelain Tower.
I had a very late GS that I had to wait for to bulb last tech... that last space part took 4 turns and had to wait 4 turns to build it.
Elizabeth was a hog... If I could've had a Religious CS Ally I could've finished a bit earlier. I received a faith GS after a couple turns into starting my last space part. In all I spawned 2 GS from faith and 1 GE from faith which I used on hubble.

I built 6 cities and sacked Russia mid-game, right after building Notre Dame. All they had built was Moscow and three wonders :)... plus they had coal!!

As far as Policies:
Completed Liberty,
Rationalism till bonus from science buildings,
Tradition... wonders, free culture buildings, less unhappiness
Order till science bonus from factories

Game date: 1834AD
Turns played: 287
Base score: 1372
Final score: 2407

i normally play more in the direction of a cultural or diplomatic victory and when i decide to go for science, its usually quite late in the game. so this was actually the first time i played a game while trying to win by science as fast as possible.

i settled north on the coast and went for the tradition-4-opening, with the 2nd city on the dyes in the west, 3rd on the stone next to the furs in the south and 4th in the desert near the crabs. the UA came in quite handy, as i always sold every lux i got (and most strategic resources too) as soon as it was possible.
catherine was an early aggressor and went for the celts (but made peace when edinburgh was at about 50% HP) , so i figured i should better try to stop her before she would decide to come after me and teamed up with isabella to take her out. luckily, catherine invaded france on the same turn our war agreement was due. with her army in the south, it was very easy to take and puppet st. petersburg and lyon (which she got in the meantime) right after, which gave me another few luxes and horses to trade. got novgorod in the peace treaty but razed it right away and settled a 5th city in the jungle-rich area nearby. this city was very close to the celts and i feared it might anger them, but the funny thing was that i only got the "please dont settle near us" message from russia.

by then i had a DoF with spain, france and the celts, which i kept throughout the rest of the game. after the short war with russia i played very peacefully and didnt built any more military units, i relied entirely on gifts from city states. eventually befriended even catherine, but she got wiped out by napoleon a few turns after that. after i met them, i also had a DoF with england and in the very end became friends with rome as well. sweden was already wiped out when i met the civs from the other continent, so i was basically friends with the whole world. i guess that kind of reflects my normal diplomatic playstyle.

i settled a 6th city quite late in the game next to the gems and the mountain in the west of the starting area, but that one probably came too late to become very useful, except for the access to aluminium.

i had the dominant religion on my continent, with god of the seas, ceremonial burial, mosques (pagodas were already taken), religious community and religious texts. i think i was about the 3rd to found and the 1st to enhance a religion. i grabbed a lot of wonders, as the AIs seemed to neglect most of them. getting culture was a bit tough, maybe should have concentrated on that a bit more. i was only able to finish rationalism in time because i used the sydney opera house for the last policy.

it was a fun game, but maybe i should have read about the mechanics of RAs and when to bulb/settle GSs first instead of starting right away and just doing what "felt right". in the end i had to wait 5 turns for the last spaceshiptech to finish while every other part was already built and send into space...

Game:Civ5 GOTM 45
Date submitted:2012-10-03
Reference number:27353
Your name: Aaronius
Game status:Science Victory
Game date: 1858AD
Turns played:299
Base score: 2209
Final score: 3744

I was pretty pleased with my score, since I am usually quite slow. I also really enjoyed this game. It was much easier than I feared - being Emperor. I went with five cities and a full Tradition opening. As a result, science was always strong, but culture always lagged. After Tradition, I ended up going with Commerce, as every city was coastal, and I used the Admiral to scout. After starting Rationalism, I completed Commerce, and wow was my empire rich and happy! The Commerce cash was useful for science, because I could purchase every CS on the planet (making big cities and happy empire, no building military units), and purchase Public Schools and Research Labs in every city as soon as they became available. I have not played a game with this much money in a long time, and it was fun!

I was friends with everybody in this game, so lots of RAs. Boadiccea attacked me in medieval times, but settled for a very lucrative peace deal that included all her resources and money. She captured a commercial CS, so her luxes included porcelain:D. We became friends too.

When Napolean got his Musketeers, he began attacking everybody on the continent and stopped being my friend. He almost eliminated the Celts, and had a Spanish city, and had Russia down to its capital. I decided to attack a couple turns before I got artillery because I had half a dozen cannons from my CS allies and enough melee and horse units to cover them. Even before the upgrade I made quick work of the cities France had taken from the Celts. When Artillery hit, then Cavalry and Rifling, it was highway slaughter.

I puppeted a big empire taking up my entire half of the continent. Russia retained their capital and the Celts retained the CS city they captured. The rest was all me, and I kept the cities b/c I had the happiness to spare, and each city had some useful resource for trading with all my friends. After putting France down, no more war for me, but later Russia Celts and Spain all got together and finished Napolean off.

I built some Beggars just because I could and was bored. Did a bit of scouting with them, and had them just in case things got freaky.

Religion: I rarely go for religion early unless I have a Civ with an advantage, or some exceptional circumstances. However, just with the way Lux teching took me, I was in a position to grab Stonehenge, so I took it. This landed me the third pantheon (god of the sea). I took a couple other wonders that gave faith too, like Machu Pichu I think. At any rate, I got the second religion (Judaism), and I upgraded second without building any shrines. I took Pagodas and cheaper Missionaries. My religion dominated my continent before anybody on my continent had a religion. The other continent was battling between Hinduism and Buddhism. I never bothered to convert them as it would make them mad, but I did fullfill CS requests for Judaism with legions of Missionaries in the mid game

Spying:I managed to steal two techs from Elizabeth before I became the tech leader for the rest of the game. I used my spies to gain influence with CS for a good long while. I bought a Constabulary as soon as it became available with cash money, and allowed the other Civs to steal techs at the slower rate. Eventually I put a spy in the capital when I didn't have greater use elsewhere. I forgave everybody (except france) for spying every time I caught them to maintain friendships.

Polders are epic! My cities were massive from the food, and the production was useful with all the grassland and marsh around. The money is the real steal though! I had so much stinking money in this game to buy buildings whenever I wanted. I felt like the royal family of Dubai. Flood plain Polders feel almost like cheating. This game the marshes proved nice too. I hate it when there is a resource under a polder tho. Fortunately I was swimming in oil, so I didn't have to make painful choices late.

Date submitted: 2012-10-03
Reference number: 27355
Your name: AE_
Game date: 1785AD
Turns played: 267
Base score: 1086
Final score: 2049
Time played: 6:01:00
Submitted save: TSG45_William_0267 AD-1785.Civ5Save
Renamed file: AE__C504501.Civ5Save

So many things went wrong, and many lessons learned. I will definitely try a replay on this one.

Your name: AlexAdam
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 1053
Final score: 1950

OK, it's very usual for me to do badly in the endgame, mainly because I play long sessions and my concentration diminishes as time goes by, but this time it was so bad I feel like denouncing Civ and definitely DoW the RA mechanics and the Science Victory process. The reason is, there is definitely NO WAY to calculate how many turns you will save with each RA so that you can optimize your actions - i.e. what Social Policies to choose and what you should spend your money on. What's even worst, looking through the deal history list to find your RAs among the countless other worthless deals you have made is, well, no fun. Civ BADLY needs an info page dedicated to RAs. As it is, with the amount of information currently (un)available, achieving the best possible outcome is no challenge to the intellect, it is purely a matter of experience.

Accustomed to the Deity level as I am, where RAs in the late game are insane, I stopped signing RAs at about turn 215 expecting the game to end at t250 at the latest (I spent money on production buildings instead). I also chose to finish Rationalization before going for the factory science buff from the Order tree for that same reason. Well, I found myself getting RA science outputs as bad as 4 turns worth of science. I would have liked to see that coming.

Many thanks to the GOTM staff for the series :)goodjob:) but personally I think I will give up on anything else than Domination victories on the higher levels (Emperor+) where the strategy aspect of Civ5 is much more solid. Unless the fall patch answers my needs, will wait to see.

Failed my 1st play through, but the map was so interesting i decided to give it another shot. Started with 3 cities +NC, generated small army (5 bowmen + pike man + horse man) and conquered Moscow and Edinburgh just before turn 120.

From then on i was teching and growing cities.

Religion was an easy choice with so many Stones in the area. Picked production and happiness as other bonuses.

Policies were: Full Tradition - Communist Factories - Full Rationalism

Happiness was my biggest problem, much to learn there :).

Attachments

• 2012-10-04_00004.jpg
    2012-10-04_00004.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 2012-10-04_00007.jpg
    2012-10-04_00007.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 158
Date submitted: 2012-10-04
Reference number: 27362
Your name: numaru7
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 1639
Final score: 2643
Time played: 2:25:00
Submitted save: TSG45_Turn313_SciWin.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C504501.Civ5Save

Surprisingly balanced game - prob because i didn't attack anyone after midgame to destabilize it.
except Boudica, Catherine (both wiped out) and Isabella (always angry) - i always had Ra's going. Rationalism Finisher + buying scientists with faith + hubble + 3 Ra's all came pretty close together so it was a mad dash to buy spaceship factories in cities.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0011.jpg
    Civ5Screen0011.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Civ5Screen0012.jpg
    Civ5Screen0012.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 142
Reference number: 27363
Your name: Foamfollower
Game date: 1896AD
Turns played: 318
Base score: 1057
Final score: 1677
Time played: 6:32:00
Submitted save: William_0318 AD-1896.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Foamfollower_C504501.Civ5Save

seeing the numbers here, my result was even worse as I suspected
played a peaceful game, probably the reason for a rather low score, but it shouldn't have too much influence on the finish date
started with 3 cities around the marshes, capital 2 places NE of the starting position, a 4th city was build sometime later near the diamonds to the west, which also gave aluminium. Somehow culture didn't go well, in the end I needed the SOH to get the Rationalism finisher. I only got Tradition and Rationalism culture complete, no others at all. Religion was bad as well, not getting one because I was about 3 turns too late for the last religion :(

Game date: 1858AD
Turns played: 299
Base score: 1509
Final score: 2557
Time played: 4:22:00

Well, a few turns after resuming the game tonight, Napoleon DOWed me, about 4 turns before expiration of our first RA --- grrrr! Don't know how much that set me back overall, but it definitely delayed getting to schools. I did end up getting fairly reliable RAs from Spain, England and Sweden, plus one round from Cathy before France started chewing on her.

In my war with Nappy, I puppeted both of the cities he took from the Celts, puppeted Marrakech (for being annoying while I was conquering Dublin), and then beelined Paris, taking Lyon along the way. Lyon had the Great Wall, so it was a tough slog (he had a military tech advantage when the war started, but the RAs helped boost me along--ended up upgrading from gatlings and rifles to machine guns and infantry at the gates of Paris). The big reward in Paris was Forbidden Palace.

In addition to the wonders in my mid-game report, I ended up with Chichen Itza (but only a few golden ages, so that was meh), Alhambra, Brandenberg, Sistine Chapel, PT, SoL and Hubble in my capital, LT of Pisa (took a GS) in my third city (which became second largest), and Machu Pichu in my fourth city (I knew he would contribute; he also spawned one GS). I got one more natural GE, which I saved for Hubble, so I was able to buy 3 GSs with faith and didn't need to divert to take Order. Used the rationalism finisher to get both Rocketry and Satellites, and my final RA boosted me through the last tech.

I had never played Netherlands before, and I think it was OK. Polders are strong farms in the mid game (once you research them--slow getting there), and after Economics contribute a hammer and some more gold, but they are hardly OP and may or may not be worth the tech path diversion. I built one sea begger to chase off a CS galleass, and he was nearly sunk. I'll have to play with that some more.

Slow, but good fun.

326 turn science victory

Exaggerated with keeping the peace bonuses (+15 growth and the science bonus...), so I was never at war.
The only military land units I built were a scout and a giant death robot in the last turn.

Managed to get god of the sea, founded a religion with a liberty prophet and enhanced it with Hagia Sofia. This was probably unnecessary. Did this just to keep the god of the sea bonus. The only useful thing I added was "swords to plowshares".

Then I managed to get all the right wonders, Early GL... Kinda botched the end (had all the RA lined up, but I waited too long to get the rationalism free techs. Could have shaved off maybe 8 turns.

Have no idea how you guys got less then 300 turns. Probably conquered a lot... or smthn.

OK, it's very usual for me to do badly in the endgame, mainly because I play long sessions and my concentration diminishes as time goes by, but this time it was so bad I feel like denouncing Civ and definitely DoW the RA mechanics and the Science Victory process. The reason is, there is definitely NO WAY to calculate how many turns you will save with each RA so that you can optimize your actions - i.e. what Social Policies to choose and what you should spend your money on. What's even worst, looking through the deal history list to find your RAs among the countless other worthless deals you have made is, well, no fun. Civ BADLY needs an info page dedicated to RAs. As it is, with the amount of information currently (un)available, achieving the best possible outcome is no challenge to the intellect, it is purely a matter of experience.

Accustomed to the Deity level as I am, where RAs in the late game are insane, I stopped signing RAs at about turn 215 expecting the game to end at t250 at the latest (I spent money on production buildings instead). I also chose to finish Rationalization before going for the factory science buff from the Order tree for that same reason. Well, I found myself getting RA science outputs as bad as 4 turns worth of science. I would have liked to see that coming.
I agree that knowing how many beakers you will be getting from RA's or GS bulbing would be helpful.

The tricky thing is that your beaker output is not linear - there are clearly punctuated jumps and can increase quite rapidly with certain technologies(even though it was low during the early stages of an RA). In addition, the beaker costs of the late game technologies are extremely high, so 4 turns of science can actually be quite a lot of beakers!

One thing I did find myself doing is that as soon as one Research Agreement went off, I calculated how many beakers it provided, which would then give me a *rough* estimate of how much I would get from the next ones.

Interesting game. I did okay but there are definitely still areas for improvement.

[CITY PLACEMENT]

I wanted a coastal capital. Didn't notice the barely visible shoreline to the north and east, so I instead went southwest. After my warrior revealed a second crab and some cows, I settled Amsterdam (on Turn 2) on the coastal hill. It took me awhile to settle my second city because I wanted to build NC first. Settled Rotterdam on the desert area to the east near all the crabs. Had just 2 cities until mid-game, when I finally settled a third (Utrecht) near the Grand Mesa between Mombasa and Sidon. Fourth city (Groningen) was in the hilly region to the west. In the end game I made the mistake of settling 5th and 6th cities near Krakatoa and GBR. I had wanted to settle a third city near the initial start area (near the stones and iron) but never got around to it.

My capital choice was good for God of the Seas, but it did take a long while to get a Pantheon. Settling on turn 2 with not much production set me behind. If you are slow getting a Pantheon, you can get really delayed since each pantheon founded will delay you for an additional 5 turns (if relying on a shrine). I was the 5th to get a pantheon. In contrast, settling in place on Turn 0 would net you 2 extra turns, and you'd have an extra hammer (from the stone grassland) to build the shrine faster.

Rotterdam was good. And Utrecht (on the Dyes near Grand Mesa but I never actually got the Mesa which was in the third ring) was helpful due to the luxes and jungle. Groningen in the hills was probably a mistake. I wanted Machu Picchu (wasn't that helpful) and Neuschwanstein (didn't have time to build) as well as an Observatory (which wasn't that great). Instead, I should have settled my third city near my first two (to get 2 stone, iron, and another crab) and then my fourth city should have been near the Grand Mesa.

Having my cities so spread apart meant that my third and fourth couldn't really contribute to spaceship parts. Even if I built them, it would take too long to reach my capital. I also should have stuck to just 4 cities. I went with Tradition (not Liberty) and was culturally deficient for most of the game. I don't think the 5th and 6th cities contributed much. If anything, they prevented me from getting some useful National Wonders like Ironworks, Hermitage, and National Treasury.

[SOCIAL POLICIES]

Went full Tradition (I love me some wonders). Had another policy before Renaissance, so I opened up Commerce. I considered Patronage but decided I wouldn't have the gold to ally many CS' and I really wanted to eventually get Merchant Navy (all my cities coastal so +3 hammers would be great) but never had the SP's to get any deeper in Commerce. Then I did Rationalism up until Scientific Revolution (RA's). I opened Order wanting to get Planned Economy but there wasn't really any time before I had to just finish up Rationalism instead.

I was fine with my SP choices and would do them again. However, I was culturally deficient for most of the game. Settling 5th and 6th cities was a mistake. And I should have been better about building amphitheaters and opera houses in my cities. There was just never any time or money!

[RELIGION]

Due to my late settlement, I was 5th to found a Pantheon but did get God of the Sea.

Was third to get a religion. I wanted to have fun so I chose Interfaith Dialogue and Divine Inspiration. Second to enhance, with Religious Community and Holy Order (cheaper missionaries).

Since religion was so popular in this game, I wanted to get a science boost by sending out lots of missionaries with Interfaith Dialogue. It was interesting, but in hindsight I think I would have been better off with a gold founder belief (Tithe, Church Property) instead and the ever reliable Itinerent Preachers or Religious Texts. But hey, I wanted something different.

Three of the religions were on the other continent, so only the Celts had a religion near me. I wondered whether I should let other religions take hold on my continent so I could benefit from Interfaith Dialogue, but decided that the diplomatic bonuses with major AI's and the CS benefits outweighed waiting. Spent one missionary to convert my cities, one each to Russia, Spain, and France. One had a dialogue with the Celtic Confucianists, and three went overseas (one talking with English Buddhists and two with Roman Christians). Stopped buying missionaries after Industrial began. I eventually bought 2 Scientists and 2 Engineers with my late game faith.

I thought God of the Sea + Divine Inspiration + Religious Community worked well.

Due to my peaceful game, I think it would have been interesting to try Fertility Rites + Swords into Plowshares instead.

[DIPLOMACY]

I played a very peaceful game. Was never in a single war. Besides my initial warrior, I built one scout and bought an archer. Every other military unit was gifted from CS (I ended up about 4th in Military).

Catherine was very quick to befriend me. Both Isabella and Napoleon were mad at me for awhile (Isabella was even Hostile) due to my wonder whoring, but I eventually won them over as well as Boudicca.

On the other continent, both Elizabeth and Gustavus were eager to befriend me, but Augustus was aloof and indifferent for a long time until I was able to thaw his icy disposition and become friends with him too.

So I was able to then maintain constant friendships with all 7 of the other civs (which is actually a bit challenging since you lose out on the easy shared Denouncement and shared War modifiers).

I signed a total of 13 Research Agreements in the game. 2 each with each of 6 civs, though only 1 with Rome since it took awhile for our friendship to blossom.

Maybe I should have signed RA's as soon as I researched Education, but I waited a while for Scientific Revolution + Porcelain Tower. I really didn't need that last RA though.

I did play peacekeeper a lot. France DoW'ed Almaty early on and I covertly helped protect Almaty. Later France DoW'ed the Celts and eventually Russia and once again, I helped peacefully impede the French forces. In fact, France would have steamrolled Russia without my involvement - I single handedly saved her capital. On the other continent, England was hammering both Ragusa and Sweden. I helped protect Ragusa for a while, but eventually let it fall to focus on Sweden. Helped delay the English invasion for quite some time but eventually coughed up about 765 gold to England so that she would declare peace with Gustavus.

In the early game, Catherine and Boudicca went Honor, Napoleon went Liberty, and Isabella went Tradition. With G&K, I've found that early Liberty civs do A LOT better than everyone else. Tradition civs do okay, but most of the time early Honor civs do extremely poorly. They stick to just one or two cities and have a massive early army but they rarely take advantage of it and don't upgrade it well.

Maybe I should have DoW'ed a CS early on to steal a worker, but I really didn't want the negative warmonger modifiers.

I feel like the optimal finishing time probably *does* involve taking out a couple of civs to increase your own research base and then RA'ing with a few civs from the other continent. So I probably would have been faster if I attacked one or two civs but that's not my preferred style. ;)

[WONDERS]

Beelined for GL, NC, and then SH.

After that, it was keep away, to beat Spain, France, the Celts, and Russia from other wonders. Built Great Lighthouse, Pyramids, and Colossus which normally aren't that great but were in my case. The free lighthouse and +1 gold for water tiles were amazing for my capital and all the crab meat. The workers from the Pyramids were helpful for later Polder building. Then built HG and Terracotta to beat the others civs.

After that I wasted time on the Great Wall which I really shouldn't have. I had my second and fourth cities build Petra and Machu Picchu but neither of them were that helpful either. Later on I also built Forbidden Palace, Notre Dame, Alhambra, Angkor Wat, Sistine Chapel, and Himeji Castle in order to deny them to other civs but maybe I shouldn't have bothered. Didn't really need the happiness from Forbidden Palace or ND. My culture was crappy with or without Alhambra and Sistine Chapel. I bought a lot of tiles but Angkor Wat probably wasn't worth it. And since I was never in a war, both GW and Himeji were useless. Wish I could have gotten a refund.

Near the end game, I did resist the urge to beat the Celts to the Kremlin (another useless wonder) so for once, I actually let them have it.

I could have timed Taj Mahal better. I did get a lot of mileage out of Big Ben and wish I had built it earlier. At the end of the game, I used Engineers to rush Statue of Liberty, Hubble Telescope, CN Tower, and Sydney Opera House.

[MISC]

Since I was peaceful (built 1 Scout and bought 1 Archer), I had no use for the Sea Beggar.

I did have fun with Polders. Researched Guilds only after Education and Astronomy, so I was a bit late. But they are quite a good investment after Economics. As mentioned, I would really love to replay with a Tradition + Fertility Rites + Swords into Plowshores build (too bad no DLC or you could add ToA in as well). It was a little annoying to discover Oil underneath Polders after Biology. Converting it into an oil well means that you first have to clear the marsh, so the tile is unproductive while building the oil well. So I just saw the oil as +1 production and kept it as a polder.

My end game was a bit messy. I didn't need my final (13th) Research Agreement. Or I didn't really need all my stockpiled (3) Great Scientists. In addition, I forgot about the "one tech/turn" limit which applies to Great Scientists. So I lost a few turns there. In addition, I had to wait a turn to get enough faith for my final Engineer (for Sydney Opera House) so that set me back a single turn as well. If I replayed the final turns, I'm sure I could have shaved a few turns off of my finishing time.

Did a replay and finished at turn 239 instead of turn 267. Went for 6 cities instead of 4 and settled my first two cities (around turn 40) close to Moscow and Edinburgh to get the resources down there. Waited for GL and NC before settling my last 3 cities around turn 90.

A huge difference in the replay game was the CS. In the first game I stole 2 workers from CS in the beginning, which I never tried before and will never try again, since it gave me -2 influence / turn with every CS.

It was a fun game, and I am already looking forward to the next GOTM. :goodjob:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attachments

• TSG_45.jpg
    TSG_45.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 106
  • TSG_45_replay.jpg
    TSG_45_replay.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 847
  • TSG_45_2.jpg
    TSG_45_2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 855
Game:Civ5 GOTM 45
Date submitted:2012-10-05
Game status:Science Victory
Game date: 2003AD
Turns played:423
Base score: 1289
Final score: 1534
Time played:7:06:00

First time finishing a GOTM and first game on emperor. Also first game using the Dutch.
I obviously struggled to pull this off and beat Napoleon to a science victory in extremis.
Lots of lessons to learn: step 1 - smarter technology tree choices.
:goodjob::goodjob: to those who won in under 300 turns. I would love to know what strategy they used to pull this off.

My mistakes:
- Too few cities. I only created 2 initially.
- Not only I haven't built any polders but I cleared the marches :(
- I was bullied the whole game by Napi and his city-states. I should've taken care of him early on when I had the chance.
- I started using the Dutch unique ability late in the game when I remembered it :D
- etc...

Sea beggars: Didn't see any use to them. Maybe I'm wrong.

Also, around 1967/68AD, my pc crashed and I had to reload the 1960AD autosave. I played the next 7/8 rounds as closely as possible as I could remember. Do I have to contact the mods?

Top Bottom