TSG48 After Action Report

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG48 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use your UU's?
- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
- How did diplomacy go with your neighbors?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

My first Science victory on Archipelago. After some thinking (and settling 3 more cities) i decided that RAs won't help me and since i needed 1k+ beakers i decided to tech. for Galleases and get myself 5-6 extra Capitals. (Instead of settling those cities myself).

Went Liberty -- Patronage Opener (missed Rationalism by 1 turn) -- 3 in Rationalism -- 2 in Order -- Finished Rationalism. Liberty engineer rushed HG. Tradition seemed like a good alternative, but i really wanted the free settler.

Around turn 110 i started conquest with Theodora -- Hiawatha -- Elizabeth -- Isabella -- Ramkhamhaeng. Upgraded to frigates along the way.

Biggest disappointment was when i used Leaning Tower's engineer on Forbidden Palace only to find out i was beaten to it by Hiawatha's last remaining city.. I erased him from the game for that.

I expected t. 300+ win, but having 11 cities filled with science buildings really made Ethiopia explode in the late game. Peak bpt - 1400.

I picked God of the Seas, +1 happiness, Inspiration, +15% production, Texts. Late game faith per turn peaked @ 80ish.

Attachments

• 2012-11-16_00001.jpg
    2012-11-16_00001.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 344
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1941AD
Turns played: 361
Base score: 911
Final score: 1265
Time played: 2:06:00

Fairly boring game on my part. Probibaly could've been sped up by me killing people, but I needed micro practice anyways.

Decided, due to the map type, just to do a standard 4 city tradition opener. When I noticed Theodora was so close I grabbed Interfaith dialog and spam missionaries for 300+ beakers a missionary in the mid game (on Constantinople and Madrid, without converting of course). Getting both Great Mosque (for super missionaries) and The Hagia Sophia for my enhance was handy.

I managed to fail pretty bad with the Rationalism finisher timing, and ended up teching Nuclear Fusion, and Globalization with it >_>

Went Full Tradition, into right side of commerce, stopping off to grab left side of Rationalism when I could. Got the order opener and science from factories when I had the chance.

My religion was Sacred Path, Interfaith Dialogue, Feed the World, Mosques, Holy Order.

I settled one right of my start, which I kinda regretted, wasn't expecting islands.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 48
Date submitted: 2012-11-16
Reference number: 27678
Your name: numaru7
Game date: 1882AD
Turns played: 311
Base score: 1290
Final score: 2080
Time played: 2:22:00
Submitted save: TSG48_Turn311_SciWin.Civ5Save
Renamed file: numaru7_C504801.Civ5Save

was an OK game - nothing too special.. didn't have a war all game, friendly with most all game and signed all possible Ra's. Picked Fertility rites for 10% food because anything else didn't make a lot of sense at that time.

Got a little bit overwhelmed int he end where i had too many scientists and too many Ra's and i couldn't sell my resources/GPT fast enough to rushbuy space factories/nuclear power plants. I also actually disbanded a spaceship part because the time it would take to cross the ocean to the capital was more than if i had made it in the capital itself.

attached are 4 printscreens. One of them is the normal end game one, the other 3 are: Valleta, a city in the water - but it doesn't actually show, and... 1 hex of culture from a CS about 20 hexes away from the CS itself (printscreen with hex and position of CS attached) ...how that happened, ...Buddha only knows.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0018.jpg
    Civ5Screen0018.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 209
  • Civ5Screen0019.jpg
    Civ5Screen0019.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Civ5Screen0021.jpg
    Civ5Screen0021.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Civ5Screen0020.jpg
    Civ5Screen0020.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 183
attached are 4 printscreens. One of them is the normal end game one, the other 3 are: Valleta, a city in the water - but it doesn't actually show, and... 1 hex of culture from a CS about 20 hexes away from the CS itself (printscreen with hex and position of CS attached) ...how that happened, ...Buddha only knows.

Thanks for the screengrab of Valetta. Im going to investigate how that happened in my map save. I hope it is graphical and nothing more.

Edit: Nope, that was my general mistake, not a graphical issue. It is indeed on a water tile. I swear, one of these days I'll have a map with NO ISSUES, haha. My apologies for that.:wallbash:

Settled on the spot.

Went with full Tradition. Opened Commerce. Then went through left side of Rationalism (through Scientific Revolution), went through the center of Order (through Communism), finished the rest of Rationalism for the techs. While building the space shuttle I opened Naval Tradition but it came too late to help me.

Religion was Fertility Rites + Tithe + Swords to Plowshares + Pagodas + Itinerant Preachers. For the first time ever, Pagodas was a major waste. I only built three of the darn things! Would have been MUCH better with Religious Community, Feed the World, or Divine Inspiration (25 wonders in my capital at the end, 2 in my second city, 3 in my third city).

Had 5 cities. Kept meaning to have more but never got around to it. They were a bit spread out, which lost me some turns in the end when I was shipping spaceship parts.

Peaceful game. Was Friends with everyone and signed a bunch of Research Agreements. All my gold (through Tithe) went into RA's.

Also should have built Ironworks but I got sidetracked (as always) with all the World Wonders!

Game date: 1790AD
Turns played: 268
Base score: 1150
Final score: 2169
Time played: 5:55:00

i settled in place, went full tradition and settled 4 additional cities. the game was a bit boring, to be honest, there wasnt much going on. maybe i should have gone to war, like moriarte did. i was friends with everyone but elizabeth, but couldnt sign more than 4-5 RAs during the whole game, especially in later stages. the Ai simply didnt have enough gold...
biggest mistake i made was going for astronomy first instead of acoustics after researching education. i had to take the patronage opener because i hit the renaissance a few turns too late. that sucked, as well as losing the oracle to the iroquois :(
at least the timing of bulbing GSs, finishing rationalism and building oxford felt much better in this game than in my last gotm science game with the dutch. so i guess i learned something after all

Date submitted: 2012-11-16
Reference number: 27682
Your name: Suntechnique
Base score: 1190
Final score: 2245
Time played: 2:27:00

Nothing spectacular -- tradition science, although didn't expect archipelagos :). Settled 2 cities on main island and 2 on nearest ones. In last one managed to build Petra which payed back a bit for a bad location.

As a religion took +10% growth, mosques and pagodas. Buildings was a waste :(

Prince was a bit boring due to no wars at all.

Thanks for the screengrab of Valetta. Im going to investigate how that happened in my map save. I hope it is graphical and nothing more.

Edit: Nope, that was my general mistake, not a graphical issue. It is indeed on a water tile. I swear, one of these days I'll have a map with NO ISSUES, haha. My apologies for that.:wallbash:

It's no problem, too little of a mistake to worry. But i do have another question though...did the natural wonder near Valetta spawn there by itself?!...it's just that i've never seen one on a such a small island before.

It's no problem, too little of a mistake to worry. But i do have another question though...did the natural wonder near Valetta spawn there by itself?!...it's just that i've never seen one on a such a small island before.

yeah it did. i didnt mess with any wonders on this map.

Date submitted: 2012-11-17
Reference number: 27685
Your name: Chee
Game date: 1914AD
Turns played: 334
Base score: 998
Final score: 1512
Time played: 2:56:00
Submitted save: Haile Selassie_0334 AD-1914.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Chee_C504801.Civ5Save

Far too slow, was hoping for sub 300 turns. Made a lot of silly mistakes early on but didn't replay. Maybe played too relaxed due to it being Prince...

Reference number: 27687
Your name: Gamewizard
Game date: 1800AD
Turns played: 270
Base score: 1245
Final score: 2305
Time played: 5:19:00

Religion was Fertility Rites + Tithe + Swords to Plowshares + Pagodas + Itinerant Preachers. For the first time ever, Pagodas was a major waste. I only built three of the darn things! Would have been MUCH better with Religious Community, Feed the World, or Divine Inspiration (25 wonders in my capital at the end, 2 in my second city, 3 in my third city).

Had 5 cities. Kept meaning to have more but never got around to it.

This sums up most of my game. Was swimming in happiness from the mid to late game, should have built atleast one more populous city. I mistimed bulbing abit as well. Too early. Should have paid the gold to sign a second wave of expensive RAs.

Reference number: 27689
Your name: Wargizmo
Game date: 1808AD
Turns played: 274
Base score: 999
Final score: 1850
Time played: 4:32:00
Submitted save: Haile Selassie_0274 AD-1808.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Wargizmo_C504801.Civ5Save

My first ever attempt at one of these.

Went tradition/great library rush and delayed culture as much as possible so I could get rationalism as 2nd policy tree.

Focused on growing the capital and bought settlers, ended up with 5 cities by the end (although 1 was just to claim coal); cap was about 30 pop on last turn, picked up hanging gardens early which helped.

Managed to time 7th policy with Oracle wonder so I got the first 2 rationalism policies a few turns after hitting renaissance. Played pretty sloppy after that as I didn't sign enough research agreements and spent gold on stupid stuff like city states that refused to give me coal even though they had coal and it was mined. Had to take order opener before finishing off rationalism cause I forgot to save an engineer for hubble.

Religion was monument to the gods -> tithe -> religious community -> swords to plowshares -> Itinerant preachers. Pretty sure that was the best possible combo, perhaps taking growth for the pantheon might have been a better long term plan but the early wonders really helped.

Hey! Welcome to GotM! Glad to see another submitter and participant. That's a nice write-up and well-timed Oracle/Rationalism combo.

Code:
Game:	Civ5 GOTM 48
Date submitted:	2012-11-17
Reference number:	27694
Your name:	gkreitz
Game status:	Science Victory
Game date:	1790AD
Turns played:	[B]268[/B]
Base score:	874
Final score:	1649
Time played:	6:40:00
Submitted save:	Haile Selassie_0268 AD-1790.Civ5Save
Renamed file:	gkreitz_C504801.Civ5Save

Looking up in this thread, I guess we may get a new record in number of finishers on the same turn - saw a lot of 268:s. :)

Settled in place as it looked like it might be a watery map, and I didn't want to risk missing coastal on it. Settled a total of 3 cities, one more on the starting island and one on the island to the south. Took iron working from GL due to bad timing with a library in the second city (so hard researching philosophy worked out well), but at least that helped placing the 3rd city nicely to get all 3 iron squares. Did an experimental religion setup (for me) with interfaith dialogue and cheaper missionaries plus growth (pantheon and follower) and happiness from temples. Realized a bit too late that the strength of interfaith dialogues lies in the AI having big cities, which they don't really have at prince. Oh well...

Overall, a peaceful game. Siam randomly decided to DoW towards the end, so I had to buy a battleship (my army was very impressive - a warrior, trireme, and caravel - at that point). Battleships vs. triremes and sailing elephants was not exactly a fair fight, I took one of their cities and burned it to get a peace deal where they gave me all their gold and resources.

(Had to reload and replay 2-3 turns due to a crash around turn 110)

Base score: 1790
Final score: 3377
Time played: 6:25:00

So...another 268 victory. Was really hoping for 267 but I procrastinated too much early.

Settled in place, built another city next to other mountain. Settled 4 more cities on islands nearby for more population=more science. Spain built some wonders I wanted so I took Madrid, and Rammy never liked me so I took a few cities, but it was too late to really help. Built one last city on a resource rich island. RA were hard to come by as no one really had $ besides me and I got started with them late. Was a fun play, the AI was never any challenge or threat, but a race against others nontheless. Grats to all winners.

wow, a couple more t268's, haha.

@gkreitz: we prefer if the reloads can be kept to 1 turn by setting your autosaves to 1 turn. but as long as your replaying those 2-3 turns identically as best to your ability it is okay. the honor system is in effect here and 1-turn autosaves helps mitigate any confusion of advantage.

thank,
HR

Date submitted: 2012-11-18
Game date: 1866AD
Turns played: 303
Base score: 1122
Final score: 1870
Time played: 5:47:00

Settled on the spot and settled 5 additional cities, 2 of them only after turn 140. Should have expanded earlier.
I made several RA's which were quite well timed.
I like archipelago maps as I prefer to play peacefully. I just had two warriors and three triremes.

Policies: Full Tradition, 2 Commerce, Full Rationalism
Religion: Fertility Rites, Tithe + Swords into Plowshares, Religious Community + Itinerate Preachers

Date submitted: 2012-11-18
Reference number: 27707
Your name: chazzycat
Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 290
Base score: 1271
Final score: 2191
Time played: 5:43:00
Submitted save: chazzycat-GOTM48-Victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: chazzycat_C504801.Civ5Save

let's just say I'm not terribly surprised people were about 20 turns faster. For one I went down the left side of commerce before even getting to rationalism, probably slowing me down quite a bit. I also invested a lot of gold into city states, mostly cultural, to get down rationalism faster. But I suspect that it would have been more productive to just pay for both sides of a bunch of RAs.

I settled in place and was very glad I did. The benefits just didn't seem worth the risk when we didn't know the map type. Ended up with 7 cities...stayed at one till NC, then a round of 3 more, then a round of 3 more. Covered most of the southwest quadrant. Peaceful all game but only signed like 2 RAs due to AI being super-poor.

How did I use my UUs?
Never build one of my UUs, but I did use the UB. Actually stele-scout was my opening build. I build scouts first with pretty much every civ except Ethiopia. Building a stele first gave me a headstart on the tradition policies in addition to securing first pantheon.

How did I use religion?
I used it for mainly growth, taking fertility rights, swords before plowshares, and feed the world. I also chose tithe and religious texts. I spread Judaism to city states first and any civs that didn't have their own religion

How did I use spies?
I used one for defense in my capital since I was the tech leader all game. The rest went on city state duty, as I was never really concerned with any of the AI. Both were relatively successful but nothing remarkable.

Top Bottom