1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG76 After Actions

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by Hammer Rabbi, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG76 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?
    - Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?
    - How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?
    - Did Arabia's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?
    - Did you enjoy the open choice of VC?

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

2. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

With just 3 cities I won a science victory in 1902.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 76
    Date submitted: 2013-12-20 21:17:10
    Reference number: 30292
    Your name: budweiser
    Game status: Science Victory
    Game date: 1902AD
    Turns played: 322
    Base score: 915
    Final score: 1429
    Time played: 2:38:00

I could have selected the last religion, but instead I planted the prophet and let the others spread religion to me. I used my spies to gain a few odd techs, then I rigged a few elections.

The map had little effect on victory.

The difficulty forced me to go science, but I probably could have bought a diplo victory.

I did a lot of trading early & caravans so the UB and UA were useful. I built Petra and the extra trade route was handy. I did not dare use any camels because I was behind most of the game.

I like the open VC.

3. Chysp

Chysp Chieftain

Well, I lost, but in the closest Deity game I've ever played (never won on Deity, and I was only about 10 turns away from winning). I was going for a science victory and had built 5 spaceship parts, but a late game DOW from the Iroquois (which I just wasn't prepared for) meant I lost two cities, hampering my science and delaying Particle Physics, the last tech I needed. I lost my science lead and Hiawatha managed to catch up very quickly. He built the final spaceship part, but presumably couldn't get it to his capital in time, because William managed to sneak in a culture victory. I lost on turn 292. William had actually betrayed me on the very last turn, not that it mattered (though we had been friends the entire game).

I know where I made mistakes that cost me the win - an early game priority of getting a religion, which failed (5 turns of waiting for a prophet that never arrived, before Siam picked up the last one available), and the peculiar decision to go Liberty, despite only ever having 4 cities. The Great Scientist helped my early science, but I think Tradition would have been the much better tree to go for.

Definitely a game of two halves - not one war between anyone until the Industrial Era, followed by almost everyone being at war with everyone else. Surprisingly, it was Siam who went all-out warmonger first, which I've not really seen before. He stayed pretty aggressive throughout, though never DOW'd me. I stayed out of war completely until an Iroquois/Brazil alliance. Brazil were never a problem (William wiped them off the planet), but sharing borders with Hiawatha was always going to be problematic.

I'm tempted to replay this game and see if I can grab a win. I think playing peaceful works, I just think I need to make a few better choices and focus more on growth - my science was pretty good, but my cities were all fairly small, especially compared to the AI.

Thanks GOTM, I loved this map :D

4. vra379971

vra379971 Deity

Let me sum this one up fast.

Got (DF) religion, got Petra near turn 100 (AMUSINGLY), and got my Camel rush stopped cold soon after.

Ah well. May replay.

5. RaidandTrade

RaidandTrade Prince

Managed to stay friends with almost everyone up to turn 270 but ideologies started to sway a few people and my pathetic military eventually wasn't enough when I got DOWed by Austria for being weak. William back stabbed me on the same turn which was a little unexpected given he was sending all his caravans to me (instantly plundered when he DOWed). Unfortunately nobody could be bribed to take on either him or Austria so that was it. I'd hit number 1 in science but at the cost of military techs and was culturally dominated by Egypt.

Think I'll stay on immortal a while longer!

6. mhtrtc

mhtrtc Chieftain

JUST BARELY won a science victory turn 269. Everything was cruising along smoothly, just waiting for my last spaceship tech with just enough cash to buy it, until something like turn 252 when the Iriquois and Morroco declared war. The next turn, Austria and the Netherlands did. Four DOWs in two turns. They had all gone Order, I had gone freedom. I had neglected military a bit, but I thought I had enough to deal with a late war. I had six bombers, two fighters, six infantry and some assorted outdated units. I thought it was at least enough to defend long enough to win. Boy was that not enough. Austria sent battleships at my coastal city, Hiowatha flooded me with planes and infantry, and William came with a swarm of modern armor, bazookas and rocket artillery. With two turns left on my last tech, Hiawatha took my capital, which made it five turns to the tech--too long to survive. I barely re-took it with some injured mechanized infantry and an X-Com. Then, with help from Austria, he took my coastal city. I finished the last tech just in time for my city-state ally who had aluminum to get taken, which left me at -2 aluminum. Siam, the only civ left who wasn't at war with me, was hostile and wouldn't sell me the three I needed in exchange for everything I had (15gpt, 4 uranium, some horses). My capital was just about to go down again. I sold my spaceship factory in Medina and tried to trade again for only two aluminum, and he accepted! Bought the part, lost Medina next turn, and launched my spaceship (hopefully with me in it). Most harrowing finale I've ever had.

Anyway, it was a pretty good game. I went with just three cities because I didn't feel I had the space and luxuries for more. I was beaten to Soloman's Mine by Hiowatha and beaten to the cotton by William. Still, three good cities was all it took. The Bazaars are awesome. I stayed friends with almost everyone most of the game and sold a lot of luxuries for cash. This enabled me to sign a ton of research agreements. I must have had 15 or more of them through the game, so even though my beakers topped out at about 820, I still launched turn 269. Would have been 3-5 turns sooner without the late war. The many research agreements really made this game for me.

Didn't found a religion. They were all gone by turn 80 or sooner. Still acquired enough faith to buy a great scientist at the end. Managed to ally and befriend quite a few city-states early with barb quests, so I rocketed through tradition really fast. Took one in patronage and then on to rationalism. Took freedom because I always take order and I wanted to do something different. Plus I had no coal and only three cities, so freedom seemed better. Nearly everyone else went order. I tried to build Eiffel Tower to counter unhappiness, but Siam beat me to it by two turns. Still I remained happy all game, despite having -26 happiness from ideology by the end. I think Porcelain Tower and Hubble were the only wonders I built.

I was nervous about Hiowatha all game, even though we had DOF most of the game. Every ten turns or so I'd check to see if William and Hiowatha could be bribed to fight each other, but they would never do it. I knew it was precarious at the end since we were different ideologies, but I thought I had enough to defend. I was not expecting four DOWs though. Still though, a win's a win, right? Fun game.

Attached Files:

7. xiziz

xiziz Chieftain

Spoiler :

Game: Civ5 GOTM 76
    Date submitted: 2013-12-29 09:53:56
    Reference number: 30350
    Your name: xiziz
    Game date: 1872AD
    Turns played: 306
    Base score: 1159
    Final score: 1900
    Time played: 7:34:00

Second Deity win I manage to eek out, first one was a culture win back in vanilla... When the AI couldn't do naval invasions. I'm really pleased with the results. :)

After my small war with the Iroquois trying and failing to steal a worker, I played a peaceful game, despite getting warned that this person and that were building up to invade me. Kept a decent amount of military and kept it up to date, probably slowed me down a little, but it kept me safe. No wars for me, the AI was happy ripping each others arms out all game without my interference.

Bought three parts, built three, in retrospect I should have taken a loan(the AI were all sitting on tens of thousands of gold and I had 300gpt) and bought all the parts, would have made a turn 298 victory or something instead. Hindsight is a gift.

Very enjoyable game!

8. ABigCivFan

ABigCivFan Emperor

SV turn 252.

settled 4 cities including a mountain city to the NE which has 3 unique lux.

signed tons of RAs, allied all CS near the end. Social policies went full Trad, open Patronage, 3 Rationalism til +50% RA boost, then 3 more Patronage til +25% science from allied CS, then close out Rationalism, then Order til level 3 free GS+GE.

Morocco dowed me at the end, was able to defend with help of all the CS allies. science near 1500 at the end, faith bought 2 GS near the end, still have 1 GS to spare.

Faith bought 2 GEs to hurry PT and Cristor. hammer built Hubble.

Have quite a few strong AIs in the game, Williem, Ram and Moracco and Iqu.

Attached Files:

9. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

obviously i want for domination Vic with arab on pang :)

this uu is so stupidly op .. even without moving after firing it d be just crazzy - but this is just over the top.

wasted in end few turns as iw ent for wrong city from iroqu but whatever - gg

4 city NC into upgarding like about 12 horses btw. then 2 more armies 1 for austria 1 for dutch

got video footage - will upload some point

10. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

SS attached

Attached Files:

11. phroggie

phroggie Chieftain

Woohooo! My first EVER Deity win (across all versions of Civ). I've never focused a win on Diplomatic before, it's happened by coincidence in other games - so I made a big newb mistake and should have finished 20ish turns earlier (even though I'd been friendly with most Civs the whole game, no one would sell me their votes so I was short 3 votes and then beelined to Globalization).

I'm guessing it's BNW, that the AI plays more peacefully which suits my play style much better - previous versions I'd work hard to build a nice empire and then have someone turn on me with no notice late game. I was definitely scared of that happening here!

- How did you use religion or spying to your advantage?

I started trying for a religion but that was dead in the water very early on, I thought about focusing on trading and spreading a religion but I had so many missionary's coming through my land that no one religion sat still for too long.

Spying got me a handful of techs, being behind the AI the entire game. Mid game I focused them on the city states and end game they became diplomats.

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

I would say it helped, it was easy to meet everyone and get full use out of most hexes - as well as only focus on caravans (I wasn't 100% sure but I was guessing Arabia only got the trade bonus with caravans and not ships?)

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

Carefully! I worked at being friendly with everyone, keeping up RAs when possible... even with my focus on gold it wasn't until quite late in the game that I could constantly keep RAs with most. I was never a threat to anyone militarily, so even though I opened with the Freedom ideology - the majority of Civs went for Order... so I dropped Freedom and changed to Order.

I was sweating towards the end, they were getting close to finishing a spaceship and they had nuclear capabilities well before I did - I kept expecting a sudden AI win or being bombed, but it didn't happen.

- Did Arabia's new unique traits contribute to your game plan or victory/loss? If so, how?

Focused on gold and caravans, beelined to Petra... I tried to keep up a military presence but it was very out-teched. Almost every Civ went to war with Siam who had gone Autocracy ideology so I did join in but never had to make a single attack.

- Did you enjoy the open choice of VC?

I'm a bit more partial to having a guideline, gives me more of a goal to attempt and learn from.

12. BigChiefLizzy

BigChiefLizzy Warlord

Game date: 1949AD
    Turns played: 369
    Base score: 1159
    Final score: 1587
    Time played: 7:49:00

As usual for me came very close to the wire: Siam was killing everyone, built last spaceship part before me, I gambled the AI had built it in a daft location i.e. far away from capital :)

Was correct... and as Nuclear weapons *production* is banned by UN Treaty. I saw no reason not to use my own stockpile. Siam built the last booster it needed in Casablanca.

Threw everything I had towards Siam, tanks, infantry - blocking pillaging roads as I was going, after 2 A-Bombs.

phroggie - how did you manage a Diplo win??? Siam controlled nearly all CS's in my game - for all the game (ones not taken by marriage by Austria)

13. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

I failed in domination. Want trying a diplo but when I saw 6 easy horses, I tryed dom.

I only plant Mecca on Coton and try a Chariot archers rush to Iroquois. My worst choice. Brazil is surely a better choice.
    I miss Iroquois are allied to Buenos Aires and I lost two chariots in a turn. Brazil DoW me next turn, capture Mecca four turn later. I began a OCC with Mecca, but with bad techline, no religion, I just try to see how Deity works cause it was my first game at this level.
    When I reached Chevalry, I Dow Pedro and went in the game. Iroquois backstab me. Pillage of Horses Pasture, Rifling for Pedro mind me I'm over.

Tommy : How can you have Mecca with 19 pop T126 ?

14. godotnut

godotnut Inverted Unicycle

I managed a t282 science win with a fairly standard four city start. I was worried about being DOW'd, so I spent considerable money and hammers on units, but it never happened. Not sure if they were needed in retrospect. This cost me several turns but maybe helped keep the peace early game?

I didn't realize how powerful of a deterrent early nukes are in the game. After I built my first nuke, all other Civs remained in "Afraid" status for the rest of the game, and there wasn't as much need to build or upgrade units.

I went with tradition and a little bit of liberty until Renaissance, then full Rationalism. I was first to ideology and took Freedom. According to Civ5 Wiki, 3 or 4 of the AI had a preference for Freedom, but when it came time to choose, they all took Order. I was forced to switch or else deal with angry AI (and likely war), as well as considerable unhappiness. This set my game back quite a few turns.

With all the resources and Bazaars, I was money bags the whole the game. Lots of RAs.

15. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

t257 SV

settled Mecca mountain/river
    unlimited RA's
    only 1 warrior untill 10 turns before end

16. CyberBocal

CyberBocal Chieftain

Your name: CyberBocal
    Game date: 1880AD
    Turns played: 310
    Base score: 906
    Final score: 1461

This is my first victory on deity. Thank you Hammer Rabi for this Christmas present !
    I did not expect to win, so I had no clear plan. First I was hoping for a culture victory, but I didn't manage to found any religion. So I intended to try a diplo but most other civ were far richer than me, and my 4 neighbours choses order, while I intended to take freedom. So I decided to choose order too to keep good relations with my neighbours and aimed for science. I just managed to build the pyramids (I was alone in Liberty), the Porcelain Tower and finally Hubble. I used massive spying against Morocco and signed as many RA I could afford, and that put me surprisingly ahead in science. Open VC was useful, as it allowed adaptive strategy towards the way the things turned.

17. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

Congrats, CyberBocal! Nicely done on adapting and still pulling out a win.