1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TSG91 After Action

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Game Of The Month' started by leif erikson, Feb 17, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to the TSG191 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!
    STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please attach your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.) In your post.

- How useful was your UA?

- Did you use spying to your advantage?

- Did the map type help or hinder victory and how?

- How did the difficulty level affect your game decisions?

- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?

- What techs did you prioritize ?

- What did you think of the map and settings?

2. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

Well, this was painful. Actually it was (sorry to say) not even fun. I decided to call the day on t120. I am about to enter Industrial (still last in tech) and I am catching up nicely compared to most AIs... but Sejong has been in Modern for a while and he is 18 techs ahead. I calculated a little and came up with the answer that he has to enter Atomic shortly.

3. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I'm on turn 180 but not going to survive much longer. I settled on the cocoa because there was no forest next to that mountain/river/hill. I took God-King for my pantheon, and that plus faith from the forest and 2 FPT from the forest around Dublin got me a decent religion. (but by the time I was ready to enhance the religion there weren't really any good beliefs left.) First expo was to the northwest on the coast, 4 tiles away from the gold (I thought the city would eventually spread that far but it never did, it seemed to actually avoid that tile) and my 3rd was on the silver to the NE by a mountain and oasis. Because Cardiff didn't have a lot of production and I didn't enough gold to buy one, it took a while to get a library there so my National College was delayed to I think turn 103 (and the University of Edinburgh was built just a couple of turns later)

I stole a worker from the city state to the south (don't remember its name) and I captured 2 barbarian workers. They came in very handy for chopping most of the jungle. I left a few jungle tiles for the eventual science when I got a university up. Social policies were full Tradition, Patronage opener, Commerce opener, Rationalism.

The AI's were fighting each other but all friends (or at least friendly) with me. Even Suleiman, whom I expected to roll over me as soon as he got his jannisaries. (instead he attacked Rome) I did build castles and lots of crossbows and a few muskets just in case -- in fact the first thing I built in Cardiff was walls, that's what delayed my library and eventual NC. Even though Cardiff was on a hill next to a mountain, it was on the exposed side of the mountain surrounded by open desert. And eventually I settled a 4th city on that coastal gold tile close to Dublin to keep the AI's from getting it and closing off that little bay that I needed to access the ocean.

My first spy stole one tech from Austria and one from Brazil, then I sent him to a cultural city state. I started trying to steal techs with my second spy, but it was going to take 40 tuns, so instead I sent my 2nd (and 3rd) spy to other CS's. I probably should have moved my special agent spy around from one CS to another doing coups, then send in a recruit to maintain their allegiance.

Things were going pretty well, and I was catching up in science, until turn 179 where I was forced to pick an ideology. I picked Autocracy even tho' it's the worst one for science because it was the dominant ideology amoung all the cultural AI's (Brazil doesn't count; Pedro took Freedom and is almost dead now) The very next turn, Portugal (who has been busy destroying Brazil) and the Ottomanns backstabbed me, both declaring war. I saved the game and quit for the night. Not sure if I'll finish it out or not. I *might* could defend against one of them (I doubt it) but not both. They have infantry and artillery and great war bombers. I have rifles, and I just unlocked dynamite but don't have any artillery yet.

I may go back to turn 179 and pick Order and see what happens. Maria and Suleiman will like me, and it's a much better ideology for science, but the unhappiness will probably destroy my little empire.

Building the walls before either a granary or library in Cardiff was probably my biggest mistake.

4. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

I think it is not so much about the capital, because it is/will be decent, but with a rough start like that I would have liked 1-2 strong spots for expands. In my book all natural spots are mediocre at best. My first expand was in the middle of the hills to hook up the NW (and 2-3 copies of Cocoa) and the second to secure the Silver. Unfortunately Cocoa is such a bad luxury, since you actually loose food when you improve it. One could argue that the Silver/Flood plains Wheat and 2x Oasis is good, but the long term growth is just not there. I also went for the coastal Gold with my third expand, but the city was quite bad and I am not sure I should have bothered at all. 3 city NC on t80, but I reached Education as late as t90.

What about Sejong in your game? Because in mine, he was just flying away from the rest of the pack.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  5. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

I think he and Ramesses were both way ahead; I will have to check tonight to see how far.

6. raider980

raider980 Warlord

I'm on T102 and am having a really fun game. I moved east and found the best defensible city spot I've ever had. I settled just east of the cocoa. It has a forest border and a one tile mountain pass to the SE and can only be attacked from the north from two hexes. And with the jungles and hills all around I don't think this city can be taken even if I'm an entire era behind (which I am lol). I even debated going OCC and just seeing if I can go to war with everyone and survive.

Ended up building one more city to the east by the river next to the invisible mountain. Suleiman almost beat me to the spot but with an unprotected settler so I took it. He sent two more unprotected settlers to the same spot and I took them too. First time that's ever happened to me.

I'm doing pretty well despite being way behind in tech. Scouting is a battle though; the mountains, hills, jungle, forest and packed in cities I haven't gotten very much done. Luckily everyone else found me so I met everyone that way. I have Pikemen and I think once I get Xbows I'm going to start picking fights and see if anyone can take my capital.

Edit. Oh yeah, I took the culture from jungles pantheon and I'm swimming in culture. Fastest I've ever gotten SP's I think.

7. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

I think this map can win before150turns with SL, and NOSL can win before 170turns.
    1. You have to quickly occupy the river area in the north of the mountain. If you not ,in 80 turns the Turkey occupy there, compress your living space, it's a huge threat. In 30 turns, build a settler, use a scout to protect it to there.
    2. In the first ten turns, you can capture the Brazil's settler, it takes skill. You can build scout fist, and your warrior must move to the spot as fast as it can which pre-settle of Brazil. Then Brazil whill move north, your warrior can cooperate with the scout to kill him.
    3. If you do not want to capture the Brazil's settler, one turn slower than the second to occupy the designated spot, he whill move to south, and he whill trade with you before 15 turns.
    4. Build 3 new cities before 40turns. Your second settler move east and settle on cocoa. third settler move west and settle on spice.
    5. Build The National College before 60turns, strengthen the army in spare time.
    6. Build at least 5 new cities then, the final peak value of science is more than 2000 points

8. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

What are SL and NOSL?

9. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Save and Load, for example: You want the pagoda, but it's chooce by AI, you load the game and change the random number, the AI will choice other. Use SL you will get the result which you want, speed up the game.

10. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

Okay, thanks. I don't do that in GOTM. (how do you change the random number if the game is not set up for random seed?) I try not to do it in my regular games but do anyhow sometimes. :)

11. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

This is not allowed in GotM games. :nono:

12. so_what

so_what Chieftain

The map seems quite buggy. There is a patch of land below the NW looks like a plain, but actually a mountain?

Moderator Action: Moved to spoiler thread. Once you have opened the save to play, please do not post in the Announcement thread due to spoilers. Thanks. leif

Attached Files:

• 191.jpg
      191.jpg
      File size:
      136.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2020
  13. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

I think in the case of generally low player level,some requirements are putting the cart before the horse. Few people are active in the forum now, improving skills is the most important.
    I'm here for communication skills, not for anything else. In China's Forum, in a standard game of deity level, the average time of scientific victory is 220t with NOSL. Under the condition of SL, it can even win before 190T. We encourage low-level players to carry out SL, so that they can find mistakes and improve their skills. If a report is issued, simply state that SL has been performed or no.
    A few years ago, CV5 had become less active in China. Under standard conditions, the average time of the game at that time was 250t. A new player revived the game, the player summed up the skills of the game with a lot of reports, got lot of fans,now there's a lot of skill military has improved on his reports.
    His net name is caesarfox, personal homepage: https://space.bilibili.com/25725873/
    You can find two videos of him on the youtube, one is Egypt's scientific victory at 217t, one is Inca's scientific victory at 196t.

14. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Now I'm going to talk about how to get scientific victory.
    First of all, I don't recommend quickly mode. Only the standard model of the game is carefully designed, there are many bugs in other modes. For example, in quickly mode spies still use standard mode rules.
    Second, I don't recommend starting at jungle, It's difficult to develop the jungle, and the player's skills are not enough, so it will fail soon.
    Part 1
    This map I won at 158t. First season from 0t to 125t, Season 2 from 125t to 158t.
    Opening: Building cities on cocoa is a loser, insufficient production to support early development. Because of UA, there must be trees, so move north and build the city.
    Traditional policy trees are useless, After opening the tradition, turn to liberty.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  15. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Part 2
    1. Quickly build 4-5 cities, and build some archers to protect the territory.Building the city on luxury can omit the development time, especially the jungle map.
    2. Building library and studying philosophy pre-technology. There's a lot of spare time before we start building the national college, build more units to clear Barbarians.
    3. Pay attention to happiness and golden age. The Representation must connect with the golden age. We have made a statistical analysis of the whole situation, the Representation is equivalent to a free policy, the golden age is free.
    4. Before the Renaissance,the standard number of policies is 9. tradition open(1); liberty(6); Piety open(1)(for faith and overflow production); Patronage open(1)(for Forbidden Palace). The latter two can be adjusted according to religion or characteristics, For example, India doesn't need Patronage because the Forbidden Palace is useless. The free policy from Oracle is used to strengthen piety or tradition.
    5. Technology research Casting first, then Civil service, then Education.
    6. Find a city to build Oracle, not the capital. After the completion of the National College in capital, build settlers, The number of suitable cities is about 9, too few cities to support scientific research peak. The maximum value of scientific research shall be at least 2000, to maximize the role of scientists. I plan to build 10 cities, but happiness doesn't support it.

Attached Files:

16. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Part 3
    1. The best construction sequence for a new city is: Monument-Workshop-Aqueduct-Library. If there is a lack of fresh water farms, or there are food reward resources, build the granary before the library.
    2. After studying education, we need to pay attention to policy. The tenth policy should be used for Rationalism, if the policy is too fast,we should study acoustics to synchronize policy. I bought two universities for that.
    3. Spies are not very useful in quickly mode. The first decision is 27t, It's 20t after a change of place, Later I knew it was because of the mechanism.
    4. I gave up the Forbidden Palace, because there's not enough food for the population, I can't produce another engineer. Because the population is too small, I don't lack happiness.
    5. My friends and I have RAs between 106t and 110t, the overflow science from RAs studied printing, sailing, optics, compass, astronomy. AT 110T, spy stole Economics from Egypt. Research on industrialization by using overflow science at 110t, I borrowed money to buy 3 factories,opened the order policy tree.
    6. Under normal circumstances, scientific theory should be studied next. But because of the lack of food, the population is serious, so I had to study fertilizer first. In order to get enough population at the last moment and support the peak of scientific research.

Attached Files:

17. BananaGod

BananaGod Chieftain

Part 4
    1. Order or Freedom? In most cases, freedom is useless. In the case of the same policy opening method before the Renaissance, the number of policies necessary for the post Renaissance, order is 12, but the freedom must be 15, otherwise, you can't buy spare parts. In this map, A large population works on the jungle,freedom is even more useless.
    2. Start voting at 125t, start the World Expo at 126T. The World Expo must be won, or at least 10t will be affected.
    3. The next proposal is useless, Choose a proposal that everyone likes. Recommend a AI who is rich and friendly but not a friend as the leader, then he wold make friends with you, you can borrow money from him.
    4. At 138T, I used a scientist to study replaceable parts, and opened the last policy of rationalism with one writer to research plastic. And used 245gpt to borrow 5206 gold from Spain, bought labs in all cities. Science increased from 1000 to more than 1500, over 2000 in the end.
    5. Check the number of remaining scientists, I had 11. Calculate the value needed by the remaining technology, plus the scientific research value produced in about 18T. I calculated that if the average scientist provided 9000 points, I would win in 20T, Start using scientists at 8000points. For a simple calculation, it is appropriate for scientists to provide more than 10% of the points of the last technology.
    5. The first engineer to complete the Hubble telescope.
    6. Need 5 cities to build components, completed Apollo at 151t, prepared overflow production at 150t.
    7. I had researched all the pre technologies at 155t. used second engineer at 156t.

Attached Files:

18. urbis

urbis Chieftain

Moved around to try to find a better starting position, then moved a bit more, and a bit more, and when I got to turn 20 without finding something I was happy with I gave up and quit :-( A good lesson in not being too optimistic when looking around for a good place to settle :)

19. raider980

raider980 Warlord

Science Loss to Morocco T193.

Just a few turns after entering my last write-up The Ottoman's attacked. Apparently he didn't forget about my earlier transgression of stealing 3 of his settlers. He wiped out my second city in short order. He couldn't get my capital though.

I couldn't do much more except watch as the AI nuked each other into oblivion. They couldn't take me out though - luckily no one nuked me, I guess I was too insignificant.

As far as the map, I prefer maps that play to the UA/UB/UU/UI of the Civ we are playing. That's what's fun about playing different civs.

20. socralynnek

socralynnek Civ & Hattrick addict

Played about 90 turns or so.
    My position was better than expected, but far from seeing a chance to win this one.
    At least I am optimistic I could survive someone attacking me.
    Probably won't get the time to play on