1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tundra

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by Gidoza, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

So Tundra sucks. I don't think we need to dispute that much...

I understand that more Deer will appear on Tundra than usual...if you're lucky enough to have Forests, but I think between the non-Deer tiles and regular Tundra tiles that are unfarmable, this tends to be a disaster.

The new Stars and Sky - I find it unhelpful, honestly. It commits you to crappy Tundra tiles to get yields, and it *doesn't* give the yields you need most, which is Food.

I've a very simple suggestion - nothing drastic, but perhaps a little drastic.

-Any resource of any kind on Tundra that receives an improvement gets +1 Food

The Food bonus from the Camp Pantheon could then be dropped, and then Tundra would have a rather unique feel to it: Tundra Hills with resources are strong tiles, normal Tundra tiles with resources are par for the course, and anything else just isn't worth working, as usual. It would balance out.

Thoughts?

Rhys DeAnno likes this.
  2. Cokolwiek

Cokolwiek Warlord

I don't like that. Tundra is nothing good and it should be. Part of a challenge when facing it, is getting out of there or considering asceticism, fealty, or mandirs. Also, you don't really have situation when it's all unfarmable tundra that often. They are deer, rivers, mix of plains, or coasts. Not to mention all forests cities which can be decent past workshops and lumber mills.

3. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I know bare tundra sucks, that's why Communitas mapscript added more trees in tundra. In Communitu_79a bare tundra tiles are rare, but I can't remember whether I tweaked it. I remember I wanted more stones and iron than usual, so it is easier to find resources in tundra, which kind of makes up for it. Truth is, without deer food is scarce.

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I think the tundra pantheon should give food instead of something else (maybe the gold).

Honestly I don't think tundra is that bad in general though. Tundra deer are still worth working and hills are still 2 yield at their base. Tundra hills are actually better than plains/grassland hills because of the caravansary.

5. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Fealty isn't there to rectify Tundra starts - it's there as its own Policy Tree that's supposed to be balanced with the others. Moreover, the awfulness of Tundra can be so bad that it's hard to even get to Fealty at all in the first place - it's not what I would call a "challenge" when all the nearby tiles are 1 Food and your city is struggling to get to 4 citizens to build a Settler; this is what I call a disaster.

6. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

What I actually dislike are mixed tundra-something else starts (desert, grassland, plains) because then you generally don't want the tundra pantheon, so you end up with bad tiles...

7. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Fair point. This can happen with Desert too I suppose - and Plains Hills with resources are sometimes hard to distinguish from a Desert Hill with resources.