[Tuning] Buildings: Ancient/Classical Era

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
To me, it seems like the balance part of the mod is getting close to completion. Most of the major issues are addressed, and I think its down to tuning.

So I want to go through a series of threads to do some (hopefully) final tuning to the buildings to finish them once and for all. This thread will focus on Ancient and Classical Era buildings, just so the thread doesn't get too long.

Overall, I will use a simple ranking system to look at them.

A - Great, no change
C - Building is a bit too weak, a bit too strong, or just not quite interesting enough. Needs some possible adjustment.
F - Building is too weak or too strong, and needs some love.

Granary: (A) - Fairly easy to get another +1 food or more from the extra resources. The +15% growth generates roughly another +1 food but stays more relevant throughout the game. Solid.

Shrine: (A) - +2 faith change was great, combined with no maint makes it very nice.

Council: (C) - I've changed my mind about the council over time. I did not use to like the science for pop bonus, but I find it creates some nice tension in the early buildings. The faster you build a council, the more bang you get for the pop bonus. But other buildings help evolve your city. Still, it feels just a little weaker than some of the early building equivalents. Maybe no maint cost?

Well (A) - A solid jumpstart building with reasonable cost.

Market (C) - Really its about the merchant slot for this building, the +1 gold isn't worth the time, though the resource bonuses are nice. Just a little bit on the weak side.

Herbalist (A) - Great building to bump forest/jungle squares, and makes those areas viable early game, but balanced by a strong maint cost.

Barracks (A) - A building that was once pretty mediocre and is now wonderful. Gives science, maybe production, gives more xp, what's not to love?

Walls: (C) - Compared to the cost of units, there are better initial investments for your hammers I feel. I also find that once the garrison is dead, the walls hp bonus really doesn't do much. Just a small strength increase would get it in line.

Stone Works (C) - Assuming it generates +3 hammers (marble + stone), then it takes 30 turns to pay for itself. The power of the building is the ability to trade production early in the game....though at this point food is often a better option to jump start cities. Still it has its uses, but more of a niche building.

Lighthouse (A): It serves its niche well. I find I need it sometimes to strengthen the water, sometimes just to get the connection...but its solidly useful for both.

Library: (A): Good solid science building.

Scrivener's Office (C): Mainly because I find diplomatic units too expensive when this building come out, its usually a while before I build it. Its just a little on the weak side.

Water Mill (C): Probably the strongest overall building at this point in the game, and in much of the game. Certainly defines the river location, so it may be on the OP side. I don't know if it needs to scale faster than the well along with its base bonuses, especially since river spots already get innate bonuses.

Arena: (A): Took a boring building and made it neat. Defines early tourism, gives a little culture. The synergy with the military buildings is what ultimately makes it solid, as it reduces the overall hammer cost of the building to make the bigger cost more palatable.

Forge: (C): Because mines are not used that early on in general, it takes a while for the forge to pay for itself, even with iron around. The +1 science adds a little something to it, and then the engineer slot is the key piece. This one feels just a little weak to me, but I'm on the edge.

Heroic Epic (A): Gets the job done!

National Monument: (A) Really encourages you to grow that population early on! Awesome building.

Amphitheater: (A) One of the best success stories for VP compared to vanilla. This build is garbage in vanilla, but very nice in VP. The +2 culture is huge at that point, the resource synergies are nice, once you have your writer's guilds you gain +3 gold for each one, its a great building in a guild city, and out of one.

Writer's Guild: (A) Does its job.

Courthouse: (A) Does its job.

Temple: (A) Solid building for pushing faith play, much improved from vanilla. I really like the increase in religious pressure, giving you a more active role.

School of Philosophy: (A) I'd build it for the culture and base science, let alone the +2 GS points and the +20% during golden ages. I think its probably a little OP, but it helps define tall play so I think its fine for that.

Aqueduct: (F) - A more hammer expensive granary, whose resource benefits are not as good. Sure it stacks with the granary, but I think it should be cheaper, or give a stronger base food benefit.

Caravansary: (C) - A fairly niche building, though I really like the tourism mechanic. I think its pretty good, its just niche.

Circus Maximus: (A) - I find the WLTK bonus a little fiddly, but its a good building regardless.

Baths: (C) - +2 culture at this point is still great, though weaker than the amphitheater.....oh wait it makes that building even cooler! I find the golden age bonus finnicky, and if I was going to change something it would be that.

What am I missing that I almost always see +4 Culture on Baths instead of +2?

Agreed that Aqueducts are bloody expensive - but the fact of the matter is that they're necessary for mid-game on, so even if they're expensive, I can't imagine not using them.

Caravansary - Often don't build them at all. In fact, the most often times I build them are because the city has unhappiness from poverty and I foolishly thing that its +1 Gold is going to solve that somehow.

Forge - Don't forget that the Arena helps this, too.

Walls - While I understand the concept behind "no defender = massive damage on city," it seems a bit harsh; compare it to embarked units, which apparently have better survivability than actual warships, and I sense something weird going on here.

Water Mill - Did you give it a C because it was overpowered?

Scrivener's Office - It's worth asking: Do unique National-Wonder-style buildings like this one that help build Diplomacy units affect these units globally for all cities, or just the one you build them in? I suspect it's just the one you build them in, thus one wants to dogpile all such NW-style buildings or major Wonders into one city to make a single City the superpower for building Diplomatic units; Scrivener's Office is more about the 1 Paper early on in case you need it, because quite frankly the Capital has better things to do than build Emissaries.

Market - I don't know, I can't find reason to complain when I'm poor and need that Merchant slot. If this is your only option - you take it!

What am I missing that I almost always see +4 Culture on Baths instead of +2?
Tradition policy.

Agreed that Aqueducts are bloody expensive - but the fact of the matter is that they're necessary for mid-game on, so even if they're expensive, I can't imagine not using them.
The boost to lakes is just not good enough. The Aqueduct feels like a worse version of the Granary for 3 times the hammers.

Caravansary - Often don't build them at all. In fact, the most often times I build them are because the city has unhappiness from poverty and I foolishly thing that its +1 Gold is going to solve that somehow.
They are great if you go piety, pretty random if you don't.
Actually I take that back, I don't think they are ever random, I'm just not sending enough trade-routes from different cities.

Market - I don't know, I can't find reason to complain when I'm poor and need that Merchant slot. If this is your only option - you take it!
Think you're both underestimating the Market

On the Aqueduct: don't underestimate the size of the Food boxes (for next pop). Lakes themselves are only good until you pick up CService. And that assumes you have some good sized Lakes around you. And buying Lake Tiles is expansive.

The amount of Food needed to grow the next Pop at (standard speed):
7 is 122
10 is 210
13 is 322
14 is 365
18 is 564

Assuming you build the Aqueduct at pop 13, you'll get 30% of 322 as you need to fill up to 14's 365. That is 96.6 Food. That's about 26.4% of the total.

If you have more Food than Hammers, than delay them. You are going to need them.

Councils don't seem too impressive since Baracks give more Science than them.

I see C's on the Stone Works and Forge stating that they're a little weak. Where do you get your production from?

I think the markets are very good/important buildings at the time you are able to build it. If you are not Carthage or near many tiles with gold you are usually losing money at that point and that early caravan isn't much of a help. I usually build markets to all/most of my cities as soon as I can.

For me, Councils and Stone Works are the most underpowered/situational buildings.

Councils because I find that ensuring a steady culture production is much more important than techs. A little more science isn't going to help. What I think they could do is to give 1 or 2 :c5science: to the happiness buildings, up to the zoo. The reason is that the zoo is a hidden scientific building, but nobody knows it first hand. So, if councils were to give science to the happiness buildings, a player interested in raw science production will invest in the correct buildings.

Stone Works because I almost never use the ability to send hammers (I find them only useful for very recently settled cities in ancient/classical and doesn't scale well, so if ever, I build them in capital only). I prefer to rush with money, there's usually some benefits for rushing. And their base yield sucks if you don't have at least 3 stones/marble nearby, which is rare. Another thing that prevents me for building stone works is that by the time I'm able to build it, I am usually very short on money. Maybe they could reduce walls maintenance or increase their defence value (helping with crime).

Er, I was really thinking in stones for repairing the wall, but some hard work employs couldn't hurt. Better defense in the city equals to less crime.

But you have to admit...criminals could really let loose their anger breaking rocks. Would be very efficient.

Well, ask any Norwegian. They have the best reintegration of criminals system in the world, and I believe they are not smashing rocks.

Careful there, you might burst the American bubble :D

Well, ask any Norwegian. They have the best reintegration of criminals system in the world, and I believe they are not smashing rocks.

You're right and and this is a superior system for sure. Older North American systems had people helping to build roads, bridges, or other things, which the prisoners actually appreciated and helped them re-integrate. But ******edly, our North American system considers this inhumane - and also learning how to cook, or DO ANYTHING AT ALL, so the people just sit there and rot. The American bubble needs to be burst, because this is dumb.

So, do we agree? Do we set Stone Works to improve Walls in some way?

I don't really see why. Stoneworks is already insane for allowing productionbased internal trade-route 2 eras ahead of the normal building.

But Walls aren't, it wouldn't hurt to improve the walls via Stone Works. And that trader ability is only good when you have spare coin, I need all my traders for making money.

I'm mostly saying that letting stoneworks improve walls is not a buff to walls, it's a buff to stoneworks, especially since stoneworks requires stoneresources nearby to be built.
If you want to buff walls either just buff the building by itself or just make some synergy with the barracks.

I'm mostly saying that letting stoneworks improve walls is not a buff to walls, it's a buff to stoneworks, especially since stoneworks requires stoneresources nearby to be built.
And I say it could improve both buildings, but feel free to disagree. I see stone works more thematic (and less predictable) than barracks, honestly. You see Stone Works as a fine building as it is, but you need stones that usually only one, maybe two of your cities can work. So it's not so good considering its rareness.

Make it give 1-2 defence per quarry worked.

Make it give 1-2 defence per quarry worked.

That's completely unreasonable, especially considering both quarry resources already gives you extra benefits in the way of extra production when building wonders.

Top Bottom