[Tuning] Military Units (Modern/Atomic/Information)

Out of context, the gap could be bigger. The problem is that, unlike in RL, nukes often fly in Civ, and the damage can't be game-wrecking (as in "first to nukes rules a radioactive planet"). The solution may be to weaken A-bombs as much as you strengthen nukes: slightly.

Good points. What sort of changes would you propose?

Good points. What sort of changes would you propose?

Logically you'd say the nuke should be 2x as effective, since it requires 2x the resources. Part of that could be covered by increased range. The rest could be covered by making the damage caused by the A-bomb a bit weaker, the nuke's a bit stronger. x% on both, plus y boost in range, would create a noticeable difference that would get you close to 2x the effect for 2x the cost. I'd be guessing as to what x and y should be, but my sense is that each number would be relatively small.

Related thought, I wonder if nukes should be purchaseable with gold or be a production only unit. I think a little bit of extra range for the missile would be a good change

Related thought, I wonder if nukes should be purchaseable with gold or be a production only unit.

This is a good point. Speaking of snowball efforts, I have been the first to A-bombs, acquired a single source of uranium, and used my gold to fire off one a turn until my vastly more powerful neighbor had no army left.

I was trying to improve the AI to create a deterrence mechanic:
- be wary to declare war if you can't wipe all their nukes in a sweep or if the opponent can't be deterred enough.
- keep some nuke as deterrent if you have a nuclear-ready opponent
- if the opponent (and his allies) has no nuke: free party.
- if he decide to use the nuclear option, focus the nuclear arsenal and the uranium resource in priority.
- all nukes are visible for everyone, unless they are in a sub (having a sub with a nuclear missile is the best deterrent).
- add "nuclear power", same thing as "military score" but for the nuclear arsenal.
- nukes can only be built, create a weaker one (for the Manhattan project bonus), add 1 charge to the missile one (it can strike two time).
Without that, i think the nuclear warfare can't be really improved.
thought?

(But it's shelved, I'm busy working on an other thing for now).

- be wary to declare war if you can't wipe all their nukes in a sweep or if the opponent can't be deterred enough.
- if he decide to use the nuclear option, focus the nuclear arsenal and the uranium resource in priority.
- all nukes are visible for everyone, unless they are in a sub (having a sub with a nuclear missile is the best deterrent).
- add "nuclear power", same thing as "military score" but for the nuclear arsenal.
- nukes can only be built, create a weaker one (for the Manhattan project bonus), add 1 charge to the missile one (it can strike two time).
thought?

You make me wish to endure a game to the time of nukes, it looks like you are actually turning to a cold war, with a nuclear fear, where no civ dares to engage in a nuclear war.

thought?

Looking forward to it when you get around to it.

This is a good point. Speaking of snowball efforts, I have been the first to A-bombs, acquired a single source of uranium, and used my gold to fire off one a turn until my vastly more powerful neighbor had no army left.
Exactly this. I end up not using nukes unless they nuke me because otherwise its too easy.

I think the A bombs should be made interceptable by fighters and AA guns (they are not at the moment, right?). The main advantage of the A missiles would be that they do not get intercepted and their higher range.

I think the A bombs should be made interceptable by fighters and AA guns (they are not at the moment, right?). The main advantage of the A missiles would be that they do not get intercepted and their higher range.
"Star Wars" Wonder or allow a construction of an SDI in each city that has a chance of intercepting missiles.

Top Bottom