[Tuning] National Wonders

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
In this thread we are going to look at all the national wonders in one shot! National Wonders are less about balance, and more about the mechanics they bring to the table, as they effectively add new mechanics to the game in many cases, as well as often are balancing items between TALL and WIDE playstyles.

Scriver's Office (C) Normally the starting point for diplomatic play, I just find that the diplomatic units are still too expensive to really start using at this point.

I think what would make this nice is to provide a free emissary at its construction, to kick off the start of diplomatic play and wet the players appetite for securing CS allies since the units.

Heroic Epic (A) Just does the job.

National Monument (A) One of the lynchpin national wonders to me, is a key balance elements in capital centric playstyles.

School of Philosophy (A) Another of the lynchpin national wonders, at the time provides a nice boost to science, but as GA becomes more frequent in the late game really scales up.

Circus Maximus (A) The key is the culture bonus, can really drive up a capitals culture with WLTK play. The happiness is a good immediate bonus.

Oxford University: (C) Though its not the strongest bonus, it does allow a science focused player to recoup some of the culture they are given up to culture players with a focus on tech. But the bonus is not that strong, maybe a slight increase.

Grand Temple (A) A really fun NW. Gives everyone a chance to play with a golden age, the faith bonus is good for everyone, and helps a little with unrest.

East India Company (A) Opens some fun doors for trade with new luxuries to give away, and the extra gold is pretty nice.

Ironworks: (A) The +10 hammers is big! But the science bonus is also a good mechanic. One of my favs

Printing Press (A). Ultimately it gives you a boost in diplomatic play at a time when they normally becomes more commonplace. Its a bit bland to me is my only issue.

Hermitage (C). Culture is decent, just a bit bland. Would be nice to at least have some tourism on it without needing special policies or religious beliefs.

International Finance Center (A). Its yields are weaker than the other ideology equivalents, but its votes are much easier to get. A solid one.

Palace of Culture and Science (A). To me one of the key reasons to get Order, though I find its votes are much much more difficult to get as a human, the AI like to defensive pact with each other but never with me!

Foreign Bureau: (C) Its strong enough, but its just another NW in a string of diplomatic NWs that all do the same exact thing. Time for some spice, give me something cool to do with diplomacy at this point!

Hall of Honor: (F) This doesn't synergize very well with Autocracy at all. The faith bonus is very late in the game, the tourism bonus doesn't work well with Autocracy. The votes are somewhat directly in your control, but find Freedom's vote building to be comparable.

National Intelligence Agency: (F). I don't care about spy reduction, the crime reduction in a city with a police station is usually handled. The +1 spy is the only thing going for it, but new spies only do so much at this point. This one could use some spice to it, maybe something cool to do with my spies.

National Visitor Center (F - OP). Ultimately this is one of the most important buildings for the culture victory...it provides a massive boost in tourism.

And I actually think its too much....too much in the sense that its too capital centric. TALL capital centric civs already have a pretty good advantage in tourism victory, but I think this building actually makes it dominant....it too greatly rewards a player that focuses all of their time and attention building wonders, national wonders, and Great Person improvements in their capital. Its double penalty if I have built a world wonder in another city that has tourism slots that I am getting synergy out of it, as I'm losing double the bonus for not putting that in the capital.

Culture victory to me is already one of the most "invested" VC in the game, meaning you have to plan fairly far in advance to get it. This just makes that even worse.

Ultimately I think this building should simply provide the bonus to culture from all wonders, national wonders, great works, and great person improvements. You could argue for other improvements as well but that is likely too much of a swing. But this way, it allows players that spread their wonders and national wonders out (which often has its own penalties) to at least not lose out on the critical bonuses you get here. It also gives WIDE empires at least a fighting chance to try tourism.

So my recommendation:

National Visitor Center:

Gain 100% of the culture of all national wonders, world wonders, and great person improvements in your cities as tourism in this city. Great Works tourism in all cities +100%. Gain 100% of the culture of improvements and landmarks in this city as tourism.

Ultimately if you are playing a heavy capital centric tourism play....this will change nothing. But it gives other play styles a better chance to compete.

Doesn't the spy agency give a bonus level to all spies?
That makes it a decent building actually, because level 2 spies can attempt to coup with reasonable chances. That makes it a C in my eyes.

Hall of honor - that's the one with votes for military pacts, right? Did never do anything for me, I never had a military alliance ever. Clear F to me too.

Hall of honor - that's the one with votes for military pacts, right? Did never do anything for me, I never had a military alliance ever. Clear F to me too.

Hall of Honor gives you votes for owning foreign capitals. Pretty nice if you're going for diplomacy by means of vassalization. It's Palace of Culture and Science that gives votes for defense pacts.

I do find Hall of Honor to be pretty bad. The tourism is reasonable IMO, relevant but not overpowering, but the faith is just way too late game to be useful. Maybe +15 XP on built units, or extra unit production?

All I can say that I :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :)ing hate International Finance Center. It inflates Freedom votes needlessly, whereas votes from Palace of Culture and Science are unreal to get and Hall of Honor gives a vote equivalent of 1 embassy at the cost of going to war.
Even from the link above any Freedom civ is halfway to Diplomatic victory and only needs 2-3 full votes of other Freedom civs to get to it.
I have yet to experience a non-Freedom game which isn't full of fail.

So my ideas:
Easy mode - All Ideology NWs give bonus vote for DoF with a civ with the same Ideology. Doesn't fix the vote oversaturation, but at least allows other ideologies to compete with Freedom.

Hard mode - nerf IFC to 1 per 2/3 DoFs and give a yield reward when the resolution of any Freedom civ gets passed. PoCS gives votes depending on the number of cities under Order ideology/population under Order ideology. As for HoH, I dunno. I guess take the item not taken by Order and apply to Autocracy.

I would like to hear other thoughts on the National Visitor Center I noted above, because I'm proposing a fairly big change but one I think will balance more playstyles.

Just one more ping to see what people thought about the national visitor center idea I mentioned above, I consider it a fairly big deal.

Definitely agree on the Ideology NWs being unbalanced, in particular IFC is too good whereas Palace of Culture and Science is really difficult to get the extra votes from, though the bonuses make up for it to an extent. It doesn't matter as much in small games but I could see it being really broken in bigger ones. As boring as it is, I do like the idea of +1 vote for each DoF with someone of the same ideology for all three.

I haven't gone for a cultural victory anytime recently so I can't comment too much on National Visitor Center, but I wonder if it might be better as something like 50:50 local to national bonus tourism or w/e, going from 100% local to 100% national seems like a pretty massive shift. Or even something like 30% local and 50% national, even Tall civs still are going to have a good chunk of Tourism coming from places other than their capital and going from 100% local to 100% national would be a pretty massive buff for culture victory in general.

Scriver's Office (C) Normally the starting point for diplomatic play, I just find that the diplomatic units are still too expensive to really start using at this point.

I think what would make this nice is to provide a free emissary at its construction, to kick off the start of diplomatic play and wet the players appetite for securing CS allies since the units.

I really like that idea. I'm also kind of iffy on it being only buildable in the capital, I'd rather have more freedom as to what I want my diplomatic unit spamming city to be, but I guess there's no building that would make sense as a prerequisite so that's why it's limited.

So my ideas:
Easy mode - All Ideology NWs give bonus vote for DoF with a civ with the same Ideology. Doesn't fix the vote oversaturation, but at least allows other ideologies to compete with Freedom.

Hard mode - nerf IFC to 1 per 2/3 DoFs and give a yield reward when the resolution of any Freedom civ gets passed. PoCS gives votes depending on the number of cities under Order ideology/population under Order ideology. As for HoH, I dunno. I guess take the item not taken by Order and apply to Autocracy.

i like a lot this idea. definetly one thing that need balance. i think international finance center would remain as is in case, order NW will provide votes as u said. + HoH will provide votes +1 per capital and +1 per vassal. And there should be caps for all of them, depending on civs in game.

Bringing this one back up for discussion. Having played some more recent culture victories I still strongly think the National Visitor Center should be less capital-centric, and recommend the changes I suggested above.

Having played mostly cultural games lately, I like the idea for National Visitor Center but I still think going from 100% local to 100% national boost is way too big, it should be more like 40% local and 30% national. Cultural victory feels like the fastest victory type already so I'm not sure it really needs buffs.

Also, I still agree with Strigvir @ International Finance Center.

Top Bottom