[Tuning] Religion: Pantheons

I'm giving the Celtic god of protection a shot -- 100% city attack damage, 1 culture per city, 25% growth. I'd always seen it as somewhat silly and worthless, but then (missing the old ocean-culture Japan) I decided to try it on an authority start. It's pretty damn fun. The single extra point of culture is a lot stronger than it seems, and the growth bonus helps kick start new cities, and keep them rolling forward into the future.

Quick follow-up: Started a new game last night (random Civ, Standard size Communitas, King) and wound up with Spain and two Coral resources. Bee lined Sailing, adopted Progress, and built Scout/Shrine/Monument/Work Boat/Work Boat/Work Boat/Settler/Stonehenge. Sailing revealed Fish next to my capital, hence the extra Work Boat. Got my God of the Sea pantheon while building the second Work Boat, sent the Settler to a spot with 4 sea resources. Lost out on Stonehenge with one turn to go. Still founded one of the first two religions (may have been first, not entirely sure).

I'm not opposed to changes to GotS but also don't think it's necessary; I've found I don't often miss out on a religion with it as long as I have the start to justify going for it. It's riskier faith-wise than some other pantheons but the extra food and production often makes it a risk worth taking.

I've gone with God of the Sea for Carthage, and their ability to buy Work Boats right off the bat really helps, as does a free Lighthouse to make Atolls stupidly good for getting Coastal cities up and running in no time.

That said, I still find myself jealous of the city state that started with five Atolls, two Fish, Coral, and three Deer within rage of their city.

I've gone with God of the Sea for Carthage, and their ability to buy Work Boats right off the bat really helps, as does a free Lighthouse to make Atolls stupidly good for getting Coastal cities up and running in no time.

That said, I still find myself jealous of the city state that started with five Atolls, two Fish, Coral, and three Deer within rage of their city.

I have a cure for that jealousy...

G

Quick follow-up: Started a new game last night (random Civ, Standard size Communitas, King) and wound up with Spain and two Coral resources. Bee lined Sailing, adopted Progress, and built Scout/Shrine/Monument/Work Boat/Work Boat/Work Boat/Settler/Stonehenge. Sailing revealed Fish next to my capital, hence the extra Work Boat. Got my God of the Sea pantheon while building the second Work Boat, sent the Settler to a spot with 4 sea resources. Lost out on Stonehenge with one turn to go. Still founded one of the first two religions (may have been first, not entirely sure).

I'm not opposed to changes to GotS but also don't think it's necessary; I've found I don't often miss out on a religion with it as long as I have the start to justify going for it. It's riskier faith-wise than some other pantheons but the extra food and production often makes it a risk worth taking.

Wow, 7 resources on start. My usual starts are 2 per city.

Defintely definitely definitely do not be above conquering city states with glorious land. They're not putting those six atolls, four fish, whales, Sri Prada, and Marble to proper use. =)

Defintely definitely definitely do not be above conquering city states with glorious land. They're not putting those six atolls, four fish, whales, Sri Prada, and Marble to proper use. =)
My rule of thumb is that if I have an army big enough to destroy a city state near it, and it doesn't offer tribute, I take it out. I'd like to see a bonus to demand tribute based on city state capitals you own.

Top Bottom