1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Tuning] World Congress Resolutions pt2

Discussion in 'General Balance' started by lunker, Jan 25, 2018.

1. lunker

lunker Warlord

Time for industrial/modern resolutions! Atomic/Information era will come in a few days.

A - Well balanced for the most part.
    C - Almost there, could use some tuning.
    F - Needs tuning or rework.

Industrial/Modern Era:

Decolonization – Radio

(A) – Can break those situations where one civ owns nearly all CS alliances by a ridiculous amount of influence. I have used this proposal to stop an AI from passing United Nations. While I enjoyed this strategy I wonder if the AI knows when passing UN is more important than losing their CS alliances.

Global Liberation – Radio

(A?) – I have personally never seen this resolution on the table so I can’t say much about it. It seems like it would serve its purpose well. I think the content-ness of a vassal affects how they vote on this too.

Question: Can this liberate vassals under Autocracy’s Iron Fist? I think it should.

Global Wargames – Replaceable Parts

(C) – A warmonger project. The gold prize is pretty good. I’m a little tempted to say it should have the razing bonus like Martial Spirit as well. Silver is a little underwhelming with just a GG and +4 happiness. Bronze is just one infantry and some unit maintenance reduction, which is pretty fair I think (don’t want all civs to suddenly get a stronger military).

I think the silver prize should feature some kind of unhappiness reduction rather than give a flat +4. Maybe an increase in the unhappiness reduction for puppets and/or +1 happiness for Courthouses?

Historical Landmarks – Archeology

(A) – Most AI’s feel they will benefit from this and will like you if you propose it. Easy to pass and moderately useful for some civs (love this as Portugal). I wouldn’t mind if the tech requirement was moved down to Architecture (Renaissance). It would help with the lack of neutral resolutions in that era.

Comment: The AI might be a little too willing to support this when other civs are going to benefit a lot more.

International Games – Radio

(C) – This resolution is a huge boon for tourism civs, providing an easy 50% tourism and sometimes a great person. The gold prize is very lackluster though, having equivalent stats to a hotel, +3 happiness, and +3 culture.

I haven’t a clue what to do with the gold prize, as I never found the hotel effects to be very good.

Passport System – Flight

(A) – Difficult to pass but can speed up a tourism victory.

Sphere of Influence – Steam Power

(A) – Really great resolution for slowly building up CS alliances. Can be countered by just conquering the CS altogether. Not too difficult to pass either.

Travel Ban – Flight

(A) – Easy to pass, and is a pain in the butt for tourism civs. The nerf to the value a while back was a good change.

World’s Fair – Industrialization

(C) – Easy and powerful bonuses for all civs. Easy to pass and good for making friends. Accelerates a game. The gold prize is strange both thematically and from a gameplay perspective (+2 sci and +2 prod for factories). I feel it should be more culture or tourism flavoured.

Also not sure what a good replacement effect would be.

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

World's Fair. I feel like the 33% culture should be the gold prize, that is a serious boost for that many turns.

Sphere of Influence: I still wonder if this is too powerful. Its very easy to snowball, once you have the most votes, you can start racking up sphere after sphere.

IcyAngel likes this.
  3. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

I often don't have time to pass this. There are only so many votes, it tends to upset people, and I often feel I have bigger fish to fry.

ElliotS and Gokudo01 like this.
  4. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Yeah, you get one or two spheres with luck. Then the other AI gang up to steal your alliances.

5. Grabbl

Grabbl Prince

I think it's good balance-wise to have weaker gold prizes for the WC projects, as a strong one just results in snowballing (like 33% culture bonus as a gold prize would, for example).

IcyAngel, ElliotS and Gokudo01 like this.
  6. crdvis16

crdvis16 Emperor

I've had games where I've gotten 4 or 5 spheres passed but even then it's not a big deal. The AI has no problem with conquering your allied CSs, especially in late game, and it's difficult to defend them if they are far away. And I agree that it pisses the AI off when you propose this so that draw back keeps it balanced.

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I feel like that's the point. The goal is to turn your hammer advantage into an another concrete advantage. And getting the gold can take a lot of hammers, it should be a good benefit.

IcyAngel and lunker like this.
  8. lunker

lunker Warlord

I don't think gold prize needs to be the best prize per say, but I do think that gold should always be something worth investing in certain situations. Atm I think gold for International Games, and to some degree World Fair, are especially not worth the time.

9. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I guess it depends on the location of those city states. AI wants to control their nearby cs. Also, if they dislike you, normally they do when you are allied to many cs, they vote against you.

10. Galbias

Galbias Prince

I feel like the Culture and Tourism bonuses for World's Fair and International Games could both go down a bit, they're pretty huge as-is even if they're just temporary. Maybe like 20% and 30% respectively?

I don't think I've seen Passport System pass ever outside of games where I was so dominant over the WC that I just forced it through (and games where I was both capable and willing to do that were pretty rare), but I guess that's fine, it does enhance a victory condition directly so it makes sense that anyone not going for that victory would be opposed. Travel Ban is maybe still a little too popular but the nerf helped.

I'd rather see the temporary attack bonus on Silver and the permanent happiness bonus plus maybe something else on Gold, all the other Golds reward you with some sort of special long-term effect befitting a Wonder (an additional % Tourism modifier for International Games which can be great in the right city and Golden Age for World's Fair, along with some yields) for Gold and a temporary bonus for the lesser ones. Maybe something along the lines of -15% unhappiness from needs in Puppet cities? I rarely go full warmonger so I'm not too sure on the numbers.

bigcat88 likes this.