1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Turkey in europe

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Italian Celtic, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

That's a completely wrong approach. Our interest is not to adopt an idea which we think is universal and then spread it as a gospel, we tried to do that and we failed.

The most successful civilizations are not those who try to encompass the whole world, but those which stop at some point and strenghten their culture to a point at which they are prepared to withstand pressure from other civilizations.

That's the case of China, for example. And although Chinese history is full of disasters, their cultural strenght remains undisputed.

I believe that's what Europe must do after the "universalist disaster" we've experienced in the last centuries.

Islam will fail like all universalist attempts in history.

European-style exclusivism is exactly what we need. We have to appreciate our uniqueness, instead of watering it down in another vain attempt to find universal values. There is no such thing.

2. AceChilla

AceChilla Goedheiligman

If the EU is supposed to be an organisation of "Universal principles" why would you even bother calling it EU then. Why not the World Union or for that matter "The Evil Empire" ;)

The problem lies in the fact that the EU at the moment tries to do two things at the same time which cannot co-exist. They want to work towards a politicial union, where the people feel European based on a similair European culture.

At the same time they do not want to define that culture (if something like that would even be possible) and want to extent the union to countries with cultures more and more alien to the Western European culture it stated out with.

The EU has to chose, either you deepen the Union via political integration or you broaden it by taking Turkey in. You cant do those two things at the same time. I think taking Turkey in would kill the EU political integration.

3. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

You also didnt understand I was being funny...

Humour must be dead in Italy...along with its aging population.

4. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

I thought we'd agreed to leave the silly geography argument outside the thread? :(

In this case they're not. :)

5. Italian Celtic

Italian Celtic real european

Son, i couldn't understand because you didn't put emoticons :mischief:

I hope you're kidding...

6. Italian Celtic

Italian Celtic real european

Ehi! That jep* has got the point! :goodjob:

Apart for jokes, mates defining european principles is an hard work.
    We have to keep in the big communities of muslim and jews in Europe, but at same time keep out countries like Turkey or Israel.

I've already tried to give a definiition of an european country but i've noticed everyone have a own theory

That's the why we are arguing about Turkey in Europe and why we will debate forver

Without an hard definition of european we will never end this discussion

We need it!!!

*japanese boy in informal way

I was speaking about culture... :rolleyes:

This is an your opinion ;)

7. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

In that case how did you come to the conclusion that Turkey is 3% European in culture? ;)

8. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

To me, Geography isn't the way to define Europe Because you get cases such as Cyprus, Armenia, Cape Verde, Georgia, etc. So we have to define Europe Culturally. I think that's the hard part. European Culture is mostly, if not entirely shaped by Christianity. It's hard to say turkey can't be in cause it ain't Christian, without sounding racist, but really that's the truth.

Christianity Shaped European Culture, Turkey isn't Christian = Turkey wasn't influenced by the Vatican or Rome like all other european nations. It's not Turkey not being Christian, it's Turkey not being European Culturally, and Europes culture involves Christanity.

I think this is the problem people are having with turkey.

9. Quildavyr

Quildavyr Man of sick jokes!

^^Should we convert to christianity until we joined EU and then repent?:p

10. mitsho

mitsho Deity

I'd say Humanism (or Enlightment if you want) has shaped Europe more than Christianity. When I think of Europe today, I don't think of the pope, the thirty-years war or the Anglican Church, I think of European values that allowed us to live in peace after 1945! That's my idea. Centering on Christianity leaves out a whole lot of history, or was the Roman Empire not important? Muslim Al-Andalus saved a lot for Europe, not to speak of Judaism, the Vikings were not Christians, the Magyars, Bulgars and so long had to be christianized, and wasn't Lithuania pagan for a long time too. Not getting to historical, what about Enlightment and Humanism, Of course they have a strong connection to Christianty (those scientists often were devout or deists...), but they can be thought also without.

m

PS: To the last one 36: The Orthodox World and The British Isles have also not been influenced by the pope, you can add Protestantism as well, but due to its harsh fight it has somehow been influenced.

11. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

No, you need to learn to speak greek (in the wast) and armenian (in the east) too.

12. Quildavyr

I was kidding.But I think you are kidding too.However it is good idea,but it will kill our nationalism.:p

13. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Pah, byzantine nationalism would be just as prideful! :p

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I know, it was a quick post, i didn't want to go into details :p

15. Quildavyr

I think we are going to split.My favourite newspaper classified the people like me as Byzantines;)

16. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

I think that historical problem is that againist Turks we were fighting. First European unity was thanks their invasion. There is also one another problem. Turkish viewpoint of their history. Same should be told for example about Serbia or Croatia.
    Todays is Turkey modern developing country, true ally. But its also big country. As was problematic join Poland and will be possible problem of join Ukraine, the Turkish enter will be hardest challenge. If was Turkish country only Istanbul and coastal area, there will be not so long discussions about their enter and their belonging to Europe.

17. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Most people forget that France was allied with the Ottoman Empire for very long periods of time. (Hell, they even planned to build the Suez canal together)

18. George2816

George2816 Emperor

Does israel want to join the EU?? Would other nations in the EU even want israel in there??

19. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

A better question is, do they want to deal with it's neighbors?

20. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

True, but we can go further beyond that. For instance, along 16-17th centuries France allied with the Turks because Spain and Austria were the worst enemies the Ottomans had in Europe. So i would not speak too much about European unity...