Turkey in the EU? Let the people decide! (Only Europeans)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Homie, Oct 3, 2005.

?

Would you like Tureky to enter the EU?

1. No

49.1%
  2. Yes

50.9%
  1. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

I think it is wrong how the EU politicians/bureaucrats make HUGE decisions regarding the EU without listening to the people.

So this is a poll ONLY to be answered by Europeans:

Would you like Tureky to enter the EU?

Non-Europeans are welcome to discuss and post their view though, just not vote as this is about European public opinion.

2. Marla_Singer

Marla_Singer United in diversity

We already know the result of this poll : 66% yes, 34% no. Among Europeans, it would be 50/50. And among Americans, it would be 80/20.

3. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

But Americans are not allowed to vote in this poll. I don't have anything against you Americans but please, this is a strictly European issue, please refrain from voting. You can make a poll of your own if you wish.

4. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

I doubt it would be 50/50 among Europeans, but we will see.

5. EnglishPunk

EnglishPunk Chieftain

Personally I do not think that untill the EU has reformed it self into a more stable and closer union with common polices and also that Turkey itself has sorted out its human rights issues starting with a very public "were sorry" statement about the Ameanian massacure.

I dont think that its econmy should be a factor as we should help our fellow man

6. Homie

Homie Anti-Lefty

I don't think Tureky should be member of the European Union because they are not European! Is it the World Union all of a sudden? What is next, Kazakstan and Algerie?
    The whole point falls away if we are to accept non-European countries, then it'll just end up as a pointless world organization full of bureaucrats, like the UN.

7. King Alexander

King Alexander Universe explorer

I don't want a country who borders with Iraq, Iran, etc... The US can have all the bloodshed for it's own.
    I want much less religious influence.
    I want respect of all EU members and respect of their borders(otherwise, wars happen/can happen).
    I want change(to some extent) of their culture(veils and such-things that the Q'uran doesn't command, and severe punishment of families that kill doughters who "hurted" their family's "honour"), although, on the cultural issue, I think I ask for too much.

8. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Woops, please ignore my vote :blush:

9. Dominus Romae

Dominus Romae Warlord

Turkey should join the EU, really, because they can become a great economic power in the future.

10. Babbler

Babbler Deity

Yes, but I count, since I am half-European :D .

11. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

The European Union's issues are global (like US, Chinsese, and Russian issues), because it affects the entire world. People outside the EU should have at least one if not two options seperate from European votes.

Edit: I have an answer, too. Turkey is qualified (IMO), but if I were Turkey I wouldn't want to join.

12. Elrohir

Elrohir RELATIONAL VALORIZATION

Oops.

Nah, I'm kidding. ;) I'm not completely blind. But even so, I will state my opinion: Turkey shouldn't join the EU.

13. Verbose

Verbose Deity

If the European Union can't accept Turkey on the grounds that "it isn't European" then the EU has missed the point of its own existance.
    If it can't then Europe will prolly be on its way to become another useless European imperial project.

If the values that the EU rests on are considered universal, but "some people" at the same time are considered incapable of adopting them, then the project is racist.
    Or is it a question of geography; inside or outside of "Europe"? That's a pointless geographic distinction! Since when should we be ruled by our maps?

As for being "European", no one has ever been able to clearly define where the place begins and ends. It begins and ends where we say it does.

That's actually the point. Whether Turkey is "European" or not is immaterial. The big issue is whether Turkey can become European.

Same goes for Algeria and Khazakstan; if they want to become "European" and manage to adopt the legal, social and economic system as per spec. for EU membership, why wouldn't they join, if the want to?

Make the Med a EU internal sea!:goodjob:

14. Reno

Reno The Studio Ghibli Fanatic

Turkey should be allowed to join, but only after it fulfill's the EU's criteria.

15. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

could you clarify the question a bit? Do you mean right now? or in 15 years? or ever?

if right now: No
    in 15years : yes, if they fullfill the prerequisites

edit: oh, and since I'm swiss I'm not really european anyway ;) so I'll abstain in the poll

16. Gladi

Gladi The ignored thread killer

Be well
    Not right now.

17. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

I share the view of Verbose and Reno.

Of course it should be possible to deny a country membership for strictly geographical reasons, but Turkey is too close for that, it already have one foot in the geographical Europe. Of course if Europe were a mere geographical term, there wouldn't be such a as thing as the EU. Geography isn't a reason for countries to come together the way they have with EU. Europe is a much more rich concept than that and Turkey fits in easily.

18. MaisseArsouye

MaisseArsouye gentil petit nuton

I agree with this.

If Turkey proves us it shares our values and can reach a high enough economical level, then it should be allowed to join in.

BTW, I think the probablity Turkey fails to join is about 50%. And while I could be seen as "pro-Turkey", I think it was wrong to start negocations before they recognize Cyprus.

19. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

We should start a better poll, with more alternatives.

We know the talks don't have to end with Turkey's accession. That's allright, let's see what progress will they make in next decades. If they fail, they won't enter. It's as simple as that.

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Very true. It shows how the EU respects its small members.