[BTS] [RFC/DoC] Turks! The Scourge of the East!

Gruekiller

Back From The Beyond
Supporter
Ah, yes, yet another new story. I'm just awful, aren't I, especially considering Bozhe, Tsarya Khrani hasn't been updated all month? Really, I couldn't help myself - I loaded up a little 600 CE Turkey spawn and felt that tickle. I just couldn't resist. I just had to chronicle the misadventures of this befuddled pack of horsemen who happened onto Asia Minor at a most inopportune time for Europe; and the litany of historical happenstance and simple, terrible mistakes which led to their new Empire's repeated meteoric rises and abrupt falls.

------------------------------------------------------

Through their incompetent governance and weak rule, the once-proud Roman Empire, astride the Bosporus, Greece, and Asia, fell into ruin under the long and miserable rule of the Angeloi emperors. The fortresses along the eastern frontier fell into disrepair, with Germanicea and the Cicilian Gate falling for the final time to the Arabs. As Moslem forces pressed further into eastern Anatolia, the Holy Empire of the German Nation and its client state, the Serenissima Republic of Venice, fell upon the weakened Rhomaioi.

The Holy German Empire and Venice.

For all the prayers and efforts of the Romans, Constantinople, the queen of cities, was taken and sacked by the westerners. After no less than three years of plundering the rich countryside, the Venetians took the time to install an Italian in the city as the Emperor of the Romans, beginning the brief and miserable period of the Latin Empire.

The Balkans following the so-called 'German Crusade'; the Latin Empire of Constantinople, the Despotate of Epirus, and the Empire of Morea shown.

With Emperor Vittore I in power in Constantinople allowing access across the straits into Asia, German 'crusaders', now out of work, poured into the unsuspecting countryside, taking what cities they could and establishing feudalistic law over the beleaguered Greeks. With their protectors disappeared, the citizens of stately Trapezountas were forced into a humiliating surrender to the Abbasids, followed shortly thereafter by numerous forced conversions to Islam.

Anatolia after the Crusade in 1270; the Ducate of Iconium and the new Abbasid gains in former Roman Asia.

Now, at about this time, a Saljuq horde arrived in the western Anatolian highlands. Forced out of Transoxiana by their kinsmen, this particular tribe, the Osmanoglu, were considered almost the runts of the litter, and as such made easy prey for the other Turks. Moving south, they were inflicted yet another shameful defeat by the forces of the Abbasid Caliphate near Takht e-Jamshid, picking up stakes and moving with all due haste west. Slipping through German territory unmolested, the leader of this scraggly band of steppe warriors, one Mehmet, eyed his people's surroundings greedily.

The Saljuq horde of Mehmet the Red, rampaging through the Thracesians.

At first at a loss, alone in a strange land, the Osmanoglu (Osmanids or Ottomans in other peoples' words) proceeded to plunder what they could from western Asia Minor, taking whatever the Latins had missed in their sweep into the peninsula. Soon, their caravans were too weighted down to continue the nomadic style of life - by 1280, it was the consensus amongst the various chieftains within the tribe that the Turks had to claim a city of their own here in the west. Though some advocated settling down more or less on the spot near the ruined cities of Nicaea and Ephesos (the name 'Sögüt' was thrown around more than once), Mehmet had other plans. The new 'soltan' of the Turks, as he styled himself, was (though an exceptionally cruel and unintelligent fellow) nothing if not an opportunist. He had his eyes on a far more appealing prize than a patch of arid, depopulated plateau.

Constantinople, once the glittering gem of the East, now filthy with squalor thanks to typical Latin negligence.

In the not entirely distant future, the peoples of Central and Eastern Europe, the Americas, and even distant Nippon and Cathay would look back in hindsight - to the depopulated cities lying prostrate before the feet of an ambitious barbarian and his horde, the undefended country and mountain passes of the Balkans, and the now-spent manpower of Europe's only vanguard, Germany - and with more than a hint of regret. Yes, this is where things all went terribly, horribly wrong.

subbed first post

I'm always up for a Gruekiller story. :D

Well, I fear Wars of the Gods is essentially finished - I have no plans at present to continue it. So really the only story I have going at the moment is BTK. Which - don't worry - will be getting an update this weekend.

Nice! The Ottomans can get huge. And to boot, you have your state religion spread everywhere thanks to Arabia :)

Subbed.

Are you going to play until 1923?

Also a request: Can you have as little reaserch as posible and at the 19th century you will try to reaserch as many techs as posible in order to catch with the rest of europe?

It will be realy realistic and fun if you could do this and survive after 1923.

With all the speed and ferocity of a pack of angry wolves, Mehmet's Turks fell upon the Latin Empire. Firing cannon wildly across the Straits (as was, at the time, the sum of Turkish strategy when it came to naval engagements), the Latin navy was roused into crossing to Bithynia in the hope of quickly squashing this barbarian threat. To the ruin of the Latins, upon reaching Asia, the Greek sailors mutinied against the Latin admiral of the fleet, killing him, and leaving the ships docked close to the coastline. The Turks took advantage of this to seize the ships and cross into Europe.

The Turkish attack of Constantinople.

Finding the Theodosian Walls badly damaged by the Crusade, the Turks managed to completely undermine the defense of the city. Constantinople was thus captured by the Osmanoglu late in the July of 1282. The Turks had their capital.

With Latin authority in the region at its end, Thrace's Greeks took advantage of the collapse to assert their own authority - such as it was. It was more akin to a reign of anarchy, with the strongest and most well-armed strong-arming the various towns and villages of Thrace and Macedonia into tribute. Theft was rampant; by the time Turkish forces entered the region, Thessalonica, once the second largest city of the Roman Empire, had been reduced to a small town by the depredations of these thugs.

Quickly restoring some semblance of order to northern Hellas (largely by plundering it even more and leaving nothing left for the thugs to take), Mehmet, seeking passage into the peninsula, was denied passage by the despot of Epirus. The enraged soltan quickly invaded the region, sacking smaller cities and villages as he went.

The Ottoman Horde begins its invasion of Epirus.

With the Ottoman Horde - for that's what it was - breathing down their necks, the Duchy of Iconium prudently surrendered. The city, Turcicized as Konya, was relieved of its sacred artifacts, its churches disbanded, and a distinctly fundamentalist, Turkish brand of Islam introduced. On his throne in Baghdad, the Caliph quietly scoffed at such heresy, secure at least in the knowledge that grand Baghdad would never fall to such savages.

Much to his displeasure, however, the Greeks in Antioch and Trapezountas rebelled, throwing the gates open for the Turks and slaying their Arab masters. The Turks, they reasoned, could hardly be any worse than the Arabs, who had inflicted terrible indignities on the religious sites of their cities.

A month later, with the population of those two cities slaughtered, the Turks turned their eyes on the Abbasid Caliphate.

Turkish Anatolia in the late 1280s.

Subbed as well. Wonderful story that you are working on here Gruekiller :).

Much to his displeasure, however, the Greeks in Antioch and Trapezountas rebelled, throwing the gates open for the Turks and slaying their Arab masters. The Turks, they reasoned, could hardly be any worse than the Arabs, who had inflicted terrible indignities on the religious sites of their cities.

A month later, with the population of those two cities slaughtered, the Turks turned their eyes on the Abbasid Caliphate.

You... monster.

Great update.

Top Bottom