Turn 1-50

However, I do have some suggestions for his post-T55 city placements. I'd move the Copper city 7 (NE) to bring Copper and Sheep within it's starting culture (especially if we don't get SH), and plant that as the first or second city after Mantra. I would also build a second Gold city ASAP to share the Gold, Cows and Pigs with Mantra (to make sure the Gold is always worked). I would move the Corn city 6 (W) to bring the Corn and more FP into range. Also, this would be the last city I'd build of these three, since it'll take more Worker turns to set-up and doesn't contribute as much to our empire.
Yep, sounds good. Especially the Copper and Gold city.

The location of the horses also makes a difference here. If we have horses already, I think we can delay settling the copper.
Yes, I hope we will have horses. Would make much sense.

About the espionage: Two interesting things. Our espionage with WPC is now 4/4 - but I also noticed that the espionage with RB is at 60/60. Unless I've misunderstood something, RB should have been 64/60 with us this turn, as we've been running sliders equally with them up until this turn flip. So, if I haven't misunderstood something, RB has also met another team the previous turn, and done exactly the same thing we did - put the espy weight to +1 with that team. I may be wrong here though, as I'm not 100% familiar with the espy system.
You have understood it correctly. I counted back and we & RB were at 60 EP at turn 45. So we know for sure that last turn RB put their whole EP pool somewhere else than on us. And since nobody from WPC logged in after 2metra we also know that we are the first team WPC met :eek: This is big news indeed.

Ah, great, bcool, will look at it a bit later. Will try my SH save till turn 85 too and report conclusions :)

I counted back and we & RB were at 60 EP at turn 45. So we know for sure that last turn RB put their whole EP pool somewhere else than on us.
Cal, did we got on clear agreement with Rb about sharing when we meet other teams?

And since nobody from WPC logged in after 2metra we also know that we are the first team WPC met This is big news indeed.
Surprisingly, but yes, we must be the first team they meet. Are we too lucky or all other neighbors are unlucky/unaware to get contacts early?

Cal, did we got on clear agreement with Rb about sharing when we meet other teams?

Yes. And RB isn't stupid so they know we can see the espy points haven't moved. Let's give them a day or two, and if we haven't heard anything I'll ask scooter on GTalk what's going on?

Yes. And RB isn't stupid so they know we can see the espy points haven't moved.
Unless they think we are so stupid that we don't check espy every turn this early in the game, I'd say this is an encouraging signal. Whoever they met, they don't want to let them know at least immediately that they've already met us.

Whoever they met, they don't want to let them know at least immediately that they've already met us.
Hmm, very good thinking. Never though about it this way :)

Unless they think we are so stupid that we don't check espy every turn this early in the game, I'd say this is an encouraging signal. Whoever they met, they don't want to let them know at least immediately that they've already met us.

Let's give them the benefit of the doubt here. They may have wandered into another team and may be discussing their message to us. Perhaps they only meant to include the general direction, and they were taken "with their pants down" when we gave them exact location of WPC so that they had to rewrite the entire thing now. Our deal never stated that we had to share the info immediately, so by us doing so when we met another team we now have a strong diplomatic upperhand against them that they need to respond to or lose us as potential allies.

Edit: And I misinterpreted it slightly, as you are spot on as well, Aivo, when you say that they obviously (just like us) didn't want the team they've met to know that they already have contact with us. That may be a good thing or a bad thing for us. We'll see based on what they tell us - hopefully we'll have a message from them sometime within the next 12 hours. I'll be sure to post here as soon as we get anything. If we haven't got anything from them around this time tomorrow, I'll ask scooter on GTalk what's going on and why they haven't told us they've met another team.

And I almost forgot. The team they met may have bumped into them, just like we bumped into them. So it may be another team out exploring who have stumbled upon RB, and not RB who have stumbled upon someone else. That doesn't change anything of course, other than the fact that they have no idea where the other team is, and may be trying to extract that information before sending us a message about it.

Yes, for all RB's pre-game concern that we were going to run a game-breaking Espy economy, I'm very surprised that they would pull all their EP's off us and onto another team, without first coming to an EP agreement with us. I have to believe that they will soon tell us who, or else they should have kept 100% of their EP's on us if they were going to try to delay us finding out about them meeting another team. I think Caledorn's explanation makes a lot of sense that they're probably having a fierce internal debate right now whether they reciprocate with a similar amount of info as we gave them, or keep the message vague concerning their new contact's direction.

Daniel of WPC just logged in to the game. Now they should know we met for sure if they did not saw the e-mails and PMs.

WPC has logged in twice more recently, so they must be talking about how to proceed. I think a big part of deciding who to ally with has to be how quickly they respond to our messages, so let's see how long it takes them to get back to us. I think it's already a poor sign that our greeting message got returned from the email address they provided for diplo.

I thought we'd base Thunderfall's next moves on where WPC told us we could find more teams, but if they really haven't found anyone else yet, then I guess it's up to us where to go next.

Re: Our Micro plan, I'm really glad to see bcool playing out another test game! In my game to T75, I'm nowhere near an Academy, so I definitely want to poke around in his game to figure out where he built the Library, etc. For the immediate term, I still think we should tentatively stick with the micro 2metra posted through T55 until we decide as a team what we want to do. Worst case is we decide against SH and get some failgold at the cost of a couple turns delay on whatever we would be putting hammers into while growing Terasvin to size 3.

The team they met may have bumped into them, just like we bumped into them. So it may be another team out exploring who have stumbled upon RB, and not RB who have stumbled upon someone else. That doesn't change anything of course, other than the fact that they have no idea where the other team is, and may be trying to extract that information before sending us a message about it.

I bet another beer this is not the case. They have met another team. Otherwise they would had not the chance to take off their espionage of us and put it on the other team.

WPC has logged in twice more recently, so they must be talking about how to proceed. I think a big part of deciding who to ally with has to be how quickly they respond to our messages, so let's see how long it takes them to get back to us. I think it's already a poor sign that our greeting message got returned from the email address they provided for diplo.
The core WPC guys are known for being always late in answering diplomatic mail. Some of them not bother answering at all. Also very cautious in agreeing to deals with small exception. Also unmanageable in some aspects. Hmm, it seems I just described them as not a good party to ally :) Which is not exactly correct, as they are good and trustworthy guys. Just a bit hard to work with.

I bet another beer this is not the case. They have met another team. Otherwise they would had not the chance to take off their espionage of us and put it on the other team.
They could have modified their espy if the other team aproached from the direction where the first sign of a border is a hill and instant contact (like we did). Or if the other team was not quite as inclined to play mind games as we are. I am not going to take that bet, though, since I also believe that it is much more likely that RB bumped to another teams borders or they met someone by chance in the wilderness.

Speaking of mind games, I just realized that if we'd put 1 point of espy on WPC instead of 4 that would probably made them believe that they are way late to the party. No way of knowing that they've met nobody beforehand though.

Hahah, good one, Aivo. I like mind games. This is one of the most exciting things about playing with humans.

:) Hmmm.. interesting... But sure, this arranged "date" flies a lot in the air lately. And I like it more and more actually.

Quoting this here since it's more of a decision on our upcoming turns than a diplo choice.

So, assuming RB did go into Revolt last turn, that would push back their completion date to T51. If they needed to save gold for one turn, that could push it back further to T52. They are ahead of us in Turn Order, so they win in the event of a tie. Also, keep in mind that these are estimates, I could be off here.

Right now, we could get Poly by T50 if we don't switch to Hunting (or T51 if we already switched off last turn, which is possible). However, this would guarantee that Terasvin is the Holy City. Personally, I'm less than enthusiastic about Terasvin as a Holy City, so I say stick with the plan and hope for Judaism in a good location if we miss out on Hinduism.

I'm going to hold off on playing the turn for now. It shouldn't be a problem to do that tomorrow before the turn ends. We've got an interesting micro discussion going, so it's worth giving ourselves a little extra time for it. Based on those two saves, I prefer 2Metra's, including SH, I think it can be improved, if we can move up the founding of that copper city and get some axes out a bit sooner though, hopefully that won't be too painful on the commerce.

Does anyone know when barbarian axes will begin to spawn? Once that happens we'd better have copper or all the warriors in the world won't help us.

As for the next turn, my plan would be to move Thunderfall 9, this should reveal a little more land in WPC's city. I'm not sure if it makes sense for us to continue northeast (9) from here to the next team, or if we should head somewhere else. Assuming the 3x3 grid is correct, which so far it appears to be, our other immediate neighbors are southeast (3) and north (8) from WPC. The neighbor se from WPC should be met with one of our warriors near the gold spot. So then it's a question of if we want to continue to move on the diagonal, or head north in preference of meeting another immediate neighbor.

As for the other two warriors, I was going to send Padma north (8) to the forest, in preparation for crossing open terrain to get to the desert hill 8,9,9 from his current position, and was going to have Plotinus sit in place to fogbust. He's close enough that he can get back when we need to protect the workers building our road, but in the meantime he'll deny a few extra tiles to the barbarians. A picture of their current locations is below.

Spoiler :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Top Bottom