1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 105 - 470 B.C.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Octavian X, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

that was fast. Can you post the summary here too?

3. Octavian X

Well, other than the new GCA city, not much new did happen.

4. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

My war weariness is dying a little. If we can get 4 defenders in Cha Ching, it should be safe. If we can still adequately defend all cities, with at least three units getting in any given city at any time, then I think we may be able to hold on. And have at least one pike in every city. Maybe we should keep research off to pay or upgrades. Hmmm, upgrades :).

5. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

It seems to me that GCA is simply trying to prevent our units from crossing the mountains so that they can settle the lands east of the mountain range as they originally had intended.

If this is the case, then we should use this lull in combat to grow again, rapidly. I would suggest that we get a settler out of both Shen Ling and Zhi Gang as quickly as possible - without sacrificing military defense, of course.

6. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

One more comment on the apparent GCA "peace envoys"...

I may be mistaken, but they may be simply opening the Diplomacy window in the game to check our level of technology, resource availability, etc... This may result in sending a peace offer whether it was their intention or not....

7. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

One more point to add with respect to Poly...

Anyone else curious to know how they got Republic so quickly? Especially since they had Currency before anyone else too....

As the tech deal went down... we contributed Construction, they contributed Currency and CDG gave us both Feudalism, right? Well, how did they get Currency and then Republic just a few turns later?

Here's how, and it should shed some interesting light on them: They were researching Republic all this time. Their exploring galleys discovered an island - perhaps ours, more likely another one that we don't know about (more on that later). On that island, they popped a hut and received Currency as a gift!

If this is the case, then they certainly withheld that information from us in the whole "tech-parity" discussion a few turns ago. Also, if there is a second, secret island, then this may be the "real" reason for their reluctance to trade maps. At the very least, it seems that Apolyton is not dealing in good faith.

8. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Which team is light blue - the one that owns the Equilibrium city? That wouldn't be Poly, would it?

9. Octavian X

Yes, it is Apolyton.

FortyJ:
    Apolyton's tech: They recieved currency from a lucky hut on the larger of the two islands off our coast. Republic, as I understand it, was researched after they discovered CoL and Phil on their own. As we all know, they would've traded those techs to us had we discovered construction prior to CDG's dying gifts.

They will not reveal their maps to us, as they still wish to respect an deal struck with GCA not to disclose any maps until the war was over. I assume that, once Apolyton does declare war, the map of GCA will be handed over to us to further our attempts at conquest.

Their response to our last alliance proposal was incomplete, so Apolyton does not recognize the attempts at technological parity. I expect that Apolyton's cause for actoin is an attempt to ensure that a much-more threatening GCA does not trample them.

I have assurances from several Apoyltonians that, in around ten turns time, they will have an army capable of taking a good deal of GCA, assuming good luck. They, however, wish to withhold a blow until it is obvious that either we are in very clear danger, or when they are confident that they can defeat GCA easily.

Continuing on to GCA, I that one of three things is the cause for the lack of attack...

1. They are farming us for more great leaders, and wish to put pressure on us by having a military presence outside of our borders. This keeps us in 'fear mode,' steadily sending out single units to the moutains for their elites to defeat.

2. They are building forces for a far stronger attack. We easily defeated a force that was about the same size as the one we know about twenty turns ago. With us with a clear tech advantage, it's possible they fear the we will again decimate that force when it comes to the border, and that they are waiting and building up.

3. The newest thought, provoked by the new GCA city: They are using the war as a pretext to settle the fertile lands to our east safely. If we were at war, we would logically not attempt to risk settler's safety while a large force is presence. The fact that these are the lands that caused the despute in the first place reinforces this theory.

Of course, these are all indepent thoughts.

10. FortyJ

FortyJ Deity

This is what I have been concerned about for some time. They are using us to keep GCA busy while they grow stronger. Not exactly behavior I would expect from someone who considers us a "blood brother".

11. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

So, is Poly the rock or the proverbial hard place that our leaderless country is caught between?

BTW, good luck on finding a President.