1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 122 - 130BC

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Gingerbread Man, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Gingerbread Man

Gingerbread Man Dark Magus

I will DP this turn, stay tuned...

EDIT: Ok, dont play inside green hours without permission of the pressy. Who the hell is the president? These times are getting confusing... I think it should be ok for me to play, but at least one witness would be good...

2. Gingerbread Man

OK, the elements are working against me. The computer is crashing, and a thunderstorm coming. As such, there will be no screenie.

What happened - 2/5 swordsman met 2/2 barbarian warrior up north. I could have attacked, but didn't want to risk it, so withdrew to forests.

Yun Qiuling builds barracks. Upgraded two spearmen to pikemen at cost of 20 gold each (now we have a treasury of 121 gold). I had no idea what to set the city to, so set it to granary as a placeholder for the next DP.

Shen Ling growing to size six in one turn. MMing: moved laborer from 2.1.1 grassland to 1.2.2 forest. Speeds MI prodution from 4 to 3 turns.

3. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

I played this turn before you did, but couldn't create a thread for it because of the forum outage. :crazyeye: So, what happens now, and how are we going to explain the double save to GWT?

BTW, Octavian was there when I played it.

4. Gingerbread Man

:wallbash: :wallbash:

Errr... Tell them to flip a coin and pick the best one???

I am stumped, really. Well, at least I can now say I have DPed before. Though I could almost expect something going wrong.

I posted in the 1bc forums to ignore the second save they got. I checked the thread before, but it seems that when threads go over 40-something pages, every page after that is a pain to find...

I clicked page 47 (IIRC) assuming that would be the last page, as it was the last page shown. But, turns out page 100-and-something was.

EDIT: this was the explaination at 1bc

5. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Whoa! What a mess! :rolleyes: Has the posting traffic gone down here, or what? These are the first new posts for two days! Where is everybody? Or does anybody have anything to say?

6. Gingerbread Man

Forum outages, and nothing happening. Hey, lets start a PI to make this game more fun! (j/k, j/k)

7. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

A what?

8. Zarn

Zarn Le Républicain Catholique

A public Investigation, but that isn't neccessary.

You did the right thing by going to the UN. I'm sure people will understand.

9. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I witnessed Gingerbread Man's turn and I will say he did a fine job. Let's hope bootstoots did the same things.

10. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

I think I did the same things, except I didn't move the laborer and I did attack the barb warrior, and won without losing a hit point.

11. Micaelis Rex

Micaelis Rex Chieftain

BTW, it may be of note that Poly has invaded GCA, who in return has razed the Elucidian stronghold of Elucidium, so it would not by captured due to the overwhelming odds against it. Reports have it that the Elucidian underground escaped and is making there way to the chokepoint city, where they will be received warmly by their Apolytonian hosts. Plans are underway to construct a New Elucidium. :D

12. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Great! By who? Maybe we should be there first... Just joking.

Hey, where's our "mighty" attack force? We needed it yesterday!

13. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Where are our officials? Boots is having to play the game all the time! No offence, Boots, just wondering why any official isn't playing the game... Shouldn't they be playing it, not Boots?

I know he's playing it only cause no officials are there when our turn is. But why? Where is everyone then?

14. FortyJ

FortyJ Chieftain

This double-save issue is extremely embarassing for our team.

First and foremost, nobody should play the save without checking in the forums and the IRC chat room to ensure that it isn't already being played by someone higher up the chain of command. Furthermore, if IRC and/or the forums are down, it couldn't hurt to check the UN boards to ensure that someone else hasn't already forwarded the save to the next team before doing so yourself.

Second, anyone checking the mail server should be cognizant of whether the incoming message is "New" or "Read". If it is marked New when you check the mail, then it is a good bet nobody else has received the file and you are the first to receive/play it. If it is marked "Read", then there's an equally good chance that somebody else has already received the file and has either finished playing the save or is in the process of playing it.

Finally, if all else fails and you are uncertain as to whether or not somebody else has played the save, then you should probably wait. There's no harm in waiting a few hours for IRC or the forums to return to operation. Besides, this is supposed to be a Democracy game - not a Succession game. When playing the save, the DP should make every effort to include team members who may be online at that time. This is easily done by connecting to IRC and announcing that we have the save for the MSDG. This simple act can do a lot to prevent these types of embarassments in the future.

Playing the save is a priviledge granted to you by the citizens of Fanatikou. It is also a great responsibility. This double-save situation is a black eye on this team and portrays a team in anarchy to the other competing teams. Let us please take measures to prevent anything like this from happening ever again.

15. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

It was a simple mix-up due to circumstances partially beyond control. Just be more attentive, and we should be fine.

On another tanget, a proposal I've been working on for a few weeks*may* solve that mix-up problem. When I've refined it a bit more, I'll post it.

16. Gingerbread Man

Sure, it was a mistake on my part, but I am not too worried. The problem has been solved.

I have learnt to be more attentive, be a little more careful, and watch out for the quirks of the 1bc forums.

By the way, I did have citizens in the turn chat. Hygro was there, and I tried to get fionn, but he had troubles getting in. The forums were working when I played the turn (How else did I post about it?)