1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 173 - 570 AD

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Multi-site Demo Game: High Council' started by Donovan Zoi, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

We Now Have Gunpowder!

For those who have doubted our alliance with Apolyton, it is time to put your fears to rest. Because with no solicitation on our part, they just gave us the ability to build Musketmen. :D

Incidentally, I had received a PM from GWT inquiring about what we would offer for this tech, which I politely declined. And if you all will remember, Poly said that they were waiting for GWT to discover it before sending to to us.

They kept their word. This is a grand day for both our alliance and our future.

Attached Files:

2. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

We also have discovered Saltpeter in the mountains near Ju Yaosai. The resource is not currently connected, so it may be a good idea for us to build a few Pikemen to upgrade later.

Attached Files:

3. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Waterloo Falls!

Another CGN loss: this time it is the city of Waterloo, which is currently under GCA control.

Attached Files:

4. Emp.Napoleon

Emp.Napoleon SUPER EMP!

I really think that if we can sell it to GWT secretly we can make a really good profit.
    Let me explaine my thining: Since they even offered to trade with us i do not think they entierly hate us. Supposing they conquer CGN. They might give some of the land to GCA. Now since APO is pretty much gettting directly involved in the war they would want to launch an attack on then soon after. Since we are also on the continant we might be seen as a threat. I think that they know that they can not hold off us AND APO AND what wil be left of CGN. I think that they will try to stay in good favor with us so that they can stop more troops accross the pond. If we can suck money from them like this from tech deals it will be good. of course APO will know nothing of this other than our nutrality.

5. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Saugus Burned to Ground!

Also, the city of Saugus is no more........ :(

Saugus is the SW pile of rubble.

Attached Files:

6. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

I switched Shen Ling's queue to a Settler because building a Rider would have had this city growing to Size 9(and rioting) before it was complete. This gives us three Settler within the next 4 turns.

Xiang Zhou settler will head for a FP coastal spot.

Yun Qiuling settler will claim the Equilibrium canal zone

Shen Ling settler will build third island city.

Does everyone agree with these proposals?

Attached Files:

7. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Finally, I have learned my lesson........

Due to the impending pre-turn loss of Silks next turn, I have bumped our luxuries up to 20% so our cities do not riot again. This lost us 31 gold this turn but was well worth it, I think.

And incidentally, I have seen our future as 10% luxes will allow cities with a Market to happily grow to Size 10, while 20% would allow Market cities to reach Size 12. These figures are based on us keeping the 4 luxuries, however. ;)

Keep in mind, an increase in Lux spending won't likely happen until the FP ring is near complete.

Attached Files:

8. Ankka

Ankka Chieftain

Interesting idea, Emp... but do we have a treaty that prohibit's that? :hmm:

D'oh, the saltpeter is just outside of the cultural borders! Nice luck we have...:rolleyes:

9. Emp.Napoleon

Emp.Napoleon SUPER EMP!

Stright from the APO-CFC treaty. We can trade with GWT even if APO is at war with them. We need the money for our expansion into the north. Maybe with this trade we can assure nutrality in the War in the West and stop a GWT-CFC war.

10. Yndy

Yndy Chieftain

DZ about the settler in Shen Ling. On one side, the Settler would be useful but on the other side think of the loss we face from lack of commerce and the time we need to grow Shen Ling back to size 8 (well that may not be that long).

On a related matter why don't we follow APO's advice to temporarily disconnect the iron so that we build horsemen not Riders and we upgrade them later. It would certainly be faster and I'm sure we can save some cash for upgrades.

11. Emp.Napoleon

Emp.Napoleon SUPER EMP!

What would be the advantage to making horsemen not raiders?

12. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

fewer shields spent, and then we can upgrade with gold.

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

2 things........

1. Yun Qiuling is founded atop Iron deposits. Therefore, disconnecting Iron would mean disconnecting our worker factory from the rst of the nation.

2. An upgrade from Horseman to Cavalry(which should be available by the time we are ready to take on GWT) is 100g. To upgrade 20 Horsemen would be 2000g. I would rather use our treasury to upgrade less expensive incidentals such as Galleys, Catapults and Pikemen. For this reason, I am in no hurry to connect our Saltpeter.

We have several 10 spt cities at this time that can pump out Riders within 7 turns. Thes can be upgraded to Cav for 20 gold. I think we should just stay with that plan. :)

14. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

If we give GWT gunpowder, what will stop them from giving it to GCA? We need to keep this tech from the Western Alliance (GWT and CGA) as long as possible. The Continental Allies (Apolyton, CFC, and what's left of CGN) will eventually be involved in a global war with the WA; World War I. We need to prepare for this day as fast as possible. Build more settlers. Built more troops. Build more ships. Do not trade GWT gunpowder.

15. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Read this again, folks. ;) It was GWT that was offering the tech to us. I declined on principle, and then found out that Poly was giving it to us for free.

I am a bit dismayed that some of you would even consider trade relations with GWT, especially when it comes to military tech. Soon it will be just ourselves and Apolyton; GWT and GCA, with CGN kicking around in a limited role. With this in mind, there is no turning our back on our ally at this point. There will also be no parsing of our Alliance treaty to see if a morally irresponsible deal can be brokered behind Apolyton's back.

What there will be is a plan for the ultimate showdown between our proven alliance and the formidable alliance in the West. Therefore, discussion should now turn to how we are going to field a formidable attack force in the quickest fashion, how we are going to maximize the land we currently have to facilitate more production, and how we are going to work with Apolyton, and possibly CGN, to bring GWT and friends to their knees.

I am crazy enough to think that it can be done, but we will need around 50 turns to optimize ourselves for this. The first 30 turns will be pretty solid, but I am expecting much more from the last 20. Because by then, our Forbidden Palace will be complete and most of our new cities will be in place.

Please post any questions or concerns. And stay tuned. :D

16. Hygro

I'm gonna pull an Ankka

"I agree with DZ"

17. RegentMan

RegentMan Chieftain

I agree with everything DZ said. Soon it will be the Western Alliance verses the Continental Allies. As I said in my previous post (except the first part. Ignore that ;) ), we must prepare for the armegeddon that is World War I.

18. Emp.Napoleon

Emp.Napoleon SUPER EMP!

I still belive that if we can start trade with them we can stay above the conflict in WWI. The chances of even APO to be invaded via naval invasion is very low since GWT would have build ships, a lot of them. APO will still have time to mobolize.

We can still aid them by keeping our tech for gold per turn deal. Maybe if we can get GWT to do the path to navigation while APO does the path to physics we can far ahead.

19. Hygro

Me be thinkinf of Privateers in the near future!

20. Yndy

Yndy Chieftain

DZ, On the second point we would need about 35 turns to build those 20 riders with our few productive cities so we could actually raise the 2000 gold amount. But the first point is fair. I forgot about that and you’re definitely right.