Turn 3250 - Another hut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dell19

Take a break
The major news is that we got a second legion from the last hut and the legion from that hut has found another one. The original legion is exploring the NW.

The chariot followed the river south and around a bit and thats why it isn't going south at the moment, especially since it would waste movement points going through the forest etc.

It looks like the archer has one square left to explore, so where should it go next? And the Horse is one turn away from the city so there will not be any civil disorder. Every unit has moved this turn but I stopped so that we can decide about the hut and the archer. Also should the chariot carry on going East and then go south as soon as there is a gap or start exploring downwards now?

Heres the saved game:

And here is the screenshot:

Attachments

• main.jpg
    main.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 161
This is turning out to be a great island for building huge cities, look at all the shielded grassland and rivers!!! I like it a lot.
Can't wait to get home and check the save out, by which city is the legion supported?

I havn't seen a start on a random world as good as this for a looooong time. We can eaisly get 5 or so mega cities in the explored area so far. Sorry for sounding like some ******ed American cheerleader, but it has to be said: Way to go team :goodjob: :D

I'd have thought that the new legion will be supported by Regia Civitas, which means that it will cut down on the number of shields that we can build with. It's a shame that the legion is so far away because if we could easily swap it for the archer then I think that would be a good idea. Still, if the legion turns out to be NON then that's both excellent news and very intriguing. I'm convinced that there must be another civ hereabouts somewhere but we haven't met any other units so we'll just have to press on until we do.
The river and wine special looks great for another city with huge science potential. I maintain that the Gems City is the best site, but if we can get cities up there and on the two whales to the south then we're going to get tonnes of trade! Even without the overseas and other civ bonuses, trade between these cities is going to be quite something! :D

Here is my (very) rough plan of possible future settlement. I don't have access to the chart regarding where all the specials will be etc. so I just placed them in good looking sites trying to make use of the space.

Attachments

• city_plan.jpg
    city_plan.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 181
The legion is indeed supported by Regia Civitas, reducing the usable shield output from 3 to 2 ...

Mordhiem - wouldn't the filler city go better 1 tile NE? Then it has a grassland shield, another forest, and two more ocean for the mere 'cost' of one plains.

Originally posted by MonkE
Mordhiem - wouldn't the filler city go better 1 tile NE? Then it has a grassland shield, another forest, and two more ocean for the mere 'cost' of one plains.

Yeah, I noticed that as soon as I posted the attachement and look at it :crazyeye:.

Wow :eek: we have been very lucky. Lots of shielded Grassland and no Barbs or enemy civs. But lets not be lulled into a false sense of security. This map was created by person and therefore are luck could run out any time.

Those city sites look good Mordheim and we have plenty of units for exploration. Go team :goodjob:

"It's a shame that the legion is so far away because if we could easily swap it for the archer then I think that would be a good idea."

The Legion is on a river so it would be possible for it to be brought back to RC without taking so much time as it initially looks like but it would still take around 10 turns.

Mordheim: I think your settlement plan (with noted correction)
is great. I presume the order is: Gem City, SE City, then
the sites upriver from G.C?

As far as popping the hut: If it yields a unit, we have to move
it down so it can be supported by the Gem City when it is
founded. But IMO we're due (statistically) for something besides
a military unit, so I'd say go for popping it. A nomad would be
nice, since it wouldn't a drain on RC for too long.

Originally posted by Dell19
If we were to get a nomad, where would it go?

Haven't looked at TF, so I see 3 cases:

1. Nomad can reach Gem City site before TF settler can.
Have Nomad found Gem City. The river will help out a lot here.
And have the TF settler go SE.

2. TF can build and get settler to Gem City site first.
Have nomad settle the one of the three nearby
locations shown on Mordheim's map (poll).

3. Nomad must found ASAP, to save drain on RC. Then
use the site ESE of the hut near the Chariot.

FWIW

My, we are excited, and thoughts are zooming off in every direction. Nice city plan, Mordhiem, I like where the cities bridge on/off the river. Now one Legion is supported by each city, so this problem will pass quickly. If we get a None Settler, I'd like to keep it to build roads. However,

1. Safety. Shall we order the Horse to become available to kill a Barb that may emerge from the Hut? It is plains to the NW, seems a wall of forest SE of the Horse, slow going.

2. TFalls settler is imminent. I'm not sure about switching the SSC, switching the Capital, and all of that. We can get quicker development by sticking to our original plan, and building City#3 between Regia Civitas and TFalls. Boring, I know, but our fastest growth plan. Besides, wouldn't we rather shoot for our SSC to have both Colossus and HG?

I hope we are polled on 1) Safely popping the hut, reckless, or not at all. 2) TFalls settler to build Gems or between or other, and then, if between, where exactly. There are at least 4 possible sites between our two glorious cities: the center Grassland, the Grassland Shield, the Plains, and the Forest.

I'd be in favor of moving the chariot toward the hut, so it will be able to respond asap if a barb comes out. Then again, if we lost that legion, it wouldn't such a big deal since RC supports it.

We should found the gems city asap. I don't think we'll get a nomad from that hut. The TF settler should go for the gems.

Here's my idea for city layout.

It tries to grab as much possible land while minimizing over lap.

I didn't make the capture big enough, but the next one could go 1 square SE of where the newest Legion is (which not shown in this screen shot, it is 1 North of the Wine).

This would give us a city on the Soutern end of the river to use as a way to get on the river and a city on the Northern end to use for the same purpose.

The red squares are where specials are that we have not uncovered yet.

I would think the cities should be built as numbered. First Gem City, Second the Southern 4 special, Third the Southern River entrance.

This will allow Gen City to start a Wonder ASAP, City 2 to start producing more settlers (along with TF) to fill in the two cities in the middle, and City 3 to be the Main defensive/thrust point for the rest of the continent. :)

No offence mordheim, but I like Duke's plan better! I think that we should concentrate on the real cities first and then decide where to put fillers when we are up and running properly. I think that colonisation of the entire continent is of a higher priority than filling in any little gaps we might have. My general rule is to expand then backfill.
Dell, how's the science situation progressing? I have to ask as joint Science Minister until the election results on Tuesday morning (though most should be decided before the polls close at that time - they usually are :)) to be seen to be doing something. ;)
We need to take advantage of as much of the river as possible, and not necessarily in just one city, though whichever ends up with the wine too will be great for trade. Both cities there will put a lot forward for trade, especially after bridge building, but the bulk of the science should come from Gems City (temporary name remember ;)) and all extra to top up will be excellent. :goodjob:

We are researching a new tech every 8 turns at the moment and we should discover CB in the next set of turns.

Now back to “what to do next”. ;)

I suggest that we move the legion onto the hill, and move the chariot back up the river. We can then use the chariot to pop the hut. If there is a barb, then the legion will prevent it appearing on the hill (defensive bonus), and if it appears on the river next to the hill, then the legion can attack (better to attack with that than with the chariot). The chariot can cover the other locations – or run away if required.

Note that if we get a unit out of this hut, then there is no guarantee that it will be supported from RC- there may be another civ about, especially since this square is a few more squares away from the last hut. :)

Attachments

• nextmove.gif
    nextmove.gif
    20 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom