1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 3350 - The return of the hut

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Dell19, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Firstly there is ocean to the south so the horseman will be able to return to TF. RC built its phalanx and is now building the Collosus and TF is building the settler again after IPRB. I would have played one or two more turns but the Chariot found another horse and it would be nice to have an exploration poll to see where they should be exploring.

Only the horse has moved but the Chariot has used one movement point so far. If it pops the hut, it will have 2/3 left to attack. The chariot could move NW, NE, NE and the legion could follow the river and the chariot could pop the hut the next turn as the Legion and the chariot would both have a move to attack any Barbs.

Heres the Save:

2. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

And heres a screenshot of our empire:

Attached Files:

3. funxus

funxus Orange Cycloptic Blob

If there are barbs hiding in the hut, is there still only a risk of meeting one barb or many? If there is a risk of meeting many barbs, I say wait, otherwise we should pop it. 2/3 strength means a=2, which is like a horseman. :)

4. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Even if there are barbs in the hut then the fact that we can open the hut on the river means that we'll still have 1 2/3 movement points left to deal with whatever comes out. Mind you, if we get a NON unit from the hut then we'll know that other civs aren't too far away. If the hut gives us anything but a barb then continue to use the river to explore but remember that we'll have to fill in the gaps, though probably on the way back home if we can't find anyone else.

5. starlifter

starlifter Deity

If a barb does appear on the river, it will be a horseman and we must kill him. If a barb occurs on any of the visible squares, it will still be a horseman. But on a river square, it will also have the advantage of a 50% terrain bonus, while we are at a 2/3 disadvantage. Even if we win (touchy) an attack on a horseman with 2/3, we will very likely be more damaged than if we attacked at full strength.

I recommend we avoid the hut this turn, because the horse has only one move left. Let the horse go around the hut via the river. Let's explore, and also see if there's a mountain next to the hut.

6. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Yes, President Dell, Safety. Let's not pop the hut this turn. Explore up the River NW NE NE, Legion up the River. Horse climbs the Hill back to TFalls. But the Archer, North or South?

We are approaching the new Settler commitment. Basically, found Gems City, or the middle city? If middle, there are several possible sites.

7. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

I've always been an advocate of taking the chance. I'll change my opinion this once. Let's wait a little bit, so we'll be in a favorable position if the hut reveals barbs.

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

A couple of thoughts:

Can we make sure the Phalanx in RC explores one North. RC won't need the Phalanx to keep the city in order for three more turns. Might as well use him to explore that terrain for now.

The new settler from TF's should definately build Gem City.

I'm kinda leary of popping any huts until we get Monarchy. Granted a tech from the hut is not the worst that could happen, but it would set us back a bit if it isn't one that is one our 'quick path'. We now have a nice number of units to use, so another one (that will be supported by RC and use a shield until RC gets to size two in three turns ) isn't something we really want right now either.

So, we have posible results form the hut being:

Barb Horseman - As long as we can kill him we should be Ok.
    Unit - Supported by RC and using one shield for three turns (unless an AI is closer, then it will be a NONE.)
    Tech - Can delay Monarchy a bit if not on the tech path.
    Nomad - Good.
    Money - Good.

So, three not so goods and two goods.

I think maybe let the units explore and try to find if there are any AI cities on our land mass....?

9. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Maybe it would be a good idea to create some polls about these options then, like what to do with the archer etc.

10. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Sorry about not posting for a couple of days, I have been without internet access recently. But on to the present.

I would say pop the hut as I always, always pop huts when I see them, but then I don't usually play with raging hordes and didn't know about the tech tree delay thingy until this game :). The river could easily provide a nice city spot, but it would be no. 3 on the priority list as the gems site and the SE site are priorities of course.

Pop the hut!

11. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I say pop the hut too!!!
    Exploration poll is here

12. Duke of Marlbrough

I realized after I logged off that I forgot to list an advanced tribe as an option as well.

I'm not sure if that would be considered good or bad. A free city is always good, but then we have to defend it and it may not be in the best spot.....?

I would like to keep the Archer close to where Gem city will be. That way he can be there for the cities defener and we would not have to build a new unit for the city. That would allow us to get our Wonder built that much sooner. (Which is Option A or B in the poll ;))

13. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I have been counting: there are 9 tiles between the gems-city spot and the hut so an advanced tribe would be quite good too (legion would stay to defend).
    The gems-city takes 2 tiles, an extra city in between 5 and that leaves 2 tiles for the advanced tribe-city so there will certainly be no overlap!

The in-between city would be where the legion is now and that is a very nice spot too, I think...

14. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

I'll play some more turns tomorrow. They will probably be the last turns depended on when we start the elections.

15. Duke of Marlbrough

The elections will start soon, but the new term won't take over until the 1st of September, so You can still get another set of turns in. :)

16. Duke of Marlbrough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.