1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 3700 - We got cities

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

As the settlers poised themselves to build new glorious cities, our exploring Chariot popped the hut and found a skilled band of Archers. The Archers then moved North to help explore (for the time being).

Our Capital, Regia Civitas, was founded first at (91,59). The production was left on the default warrior (4 turns) for now. Other options are settler (14 turns) and Barracks (14 turns).

Then we built ThunderFalls at (84,64) in hommage of our great and all powerfull spiritual leader. It's production was set to a settler (20 turns). Other options were a warrior (5 turns) and Barracks (20 turns).

The Horseman moved South to uncover more terrain.

All units have moved and the turn has not been ended, so the cities have no prduction in them as of yet.

We will needed threads from our Science Advisor(s) and Domestic Advisor. [If they alreay exist, let me know so I may stick them.]

What shall we start to build?

Screenshots:

Current Explored World

Regia Civitas

ThunderFalls

Demographics

2. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Thunderfalls? No harm in greasing the wheel i suppose....

We've got quite the empire building up...Go Team!

3. Duke of Marlbrough

I figured it couldn't hurt. ;) It'll look good for the press release.

If the Domestic Advisor wants to post a list of city names, I'd be happy to pick from those. :)

I don't want the game limited to my city naming imagination. If you've seen my GOTM games, you'll understand. :D

4. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

5. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

Ok....it's newbie time again. LOL. Do I need to choose a city to reside in now? And do I do that in the registry by just changing the info on my post?

6. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Hey GSC,
    It doesn't really matter yet decide when we have more cities. The whole city thing is more of a gimic and not integral to the game.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

8. Duke of Marlbrough

You can pick your city name when you like, and yes, you just edit your post in the registration thread. :)

9. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

This looks very promising indeed.
    I assume that we'll start to build some warriors to keep the peace and then set our glorious capital to either a temple or the Colossus. I tend to go for temple first btw, as it can keep them happier and allow the city a little growth which improves wonder production. However, if I ever get the message that another civ has started the Colossus then I'll change from the temple because no-one else is allowed to have it!
    Our second city (good name but isn't it the same as in the last game?) should start building some settlers. I don't know how far the archer will have to explore but we can use it for policing at whichever city requires it the most. ThunderFalls is going to have to be the centre for settlement activities because I for one am totally against building settlers from the SSC.

10. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

Maybe it should be New Thunder Falls (will that fit?) as Thunder Falls was in the first game :p

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

I think that the science research should reflect the desired build queues. We want a minimum of units to be built in the SSC to minimise support costs (I actually think we should abandon the peace-keeping warriors and replace them with NON units when possible), but this means that we want to have some other build options ASAP. :)

12. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

The problem arises if we have built a warrior in the SSC and still have yet to research any decent improvements. We don't want the SSC getting held down by supporting warrior after warrior.

I think that we should go for the collosuss before temple as a city in Despotism with two mi;. units on deity can be kept happy up to size 5 I think, so a temple would not be needed so soon. The collossuss however gives greater benifit the sooner we can have it built since earlier=more science.

13. duke o' york

We won't be paying support for the units properly until republic so I don't think that should be a concern for anyone quite yet. I'd rather have the SSC producing units when idle than barracks we won't use and will cost 1g per turn or settlers which will cut the trade arrows multiplied by the Colossus.

14. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

I agree with the duke on the barracks issue

15. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I don't want the SSC to be producing settlers either for the reasons mentioned earlier and I don't want barracks either because of the cost. However producing units we don't need seems silly too...
    I was thinking of producing one unit for protection maybe and then go to barracks that can be switched to colossus if that comes available.
    Can someone enlighten me how many turns it will take before we will have researched bronze-working so that we can begin on building the colossus?

16. Duke of Marlbrough

Agree with not building barracks.

City names are limited to 15 characters. :(

17. duke o' york

I know that the first tech requires ten beakers regardless of the number of techs the AI has but after that I'm afraid that I don't know the figures for any of the subsequent techs. It shouldn't be too long as I have put BW third in the list but this could all change if we get techs from popped huts. I hope that no-one minds my executive decision like mordheim's in the science choices but I don't think anyone could be too concerned with the first five - as long as we get to Monarchy quickly!

18. starlifter

starlifter Deity

With our 2 cities, and 3 beakers, we have in effect tripled the science rate that one city with no special would have.

Our Science will go: 3, 3, 3, (1) ADVANCE (2), 3, 3, etc.

We won't even loose a single beaker on the 1st advance. The next advance will be 10 more beakers, but then we start getting into relative adjustments.

One good strategy for the SSC is to make a unit for defense, and then make a Wonder. Remember, we already get the Irrigation of plains... the food we got is the food we got, even in Monarchy, at the SSC for now. TF will get loose the -1 food penalty of Despotism, once we're in Monarchy.

We got a decent shot at making 2 200 shield early wonders in the SSC, beofre the AI can finish more than one, if we start right away, and use other units to control happiness issues, then rush a temple between.

I agree no barracks and no settlers in the SSC, unless the SSC is stuck at size 8 or 12 later on, and a food box would be wasted anyway.

19. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

I think building 1 warrior and walking the archer over would provide good cheap defense for the SSC. The horse and the chariot should suffice for exploration. Getting a trieme before too long would be advantagous as well to uncover that potential 3rd whale (or fish). I also agree with the "no barracks" crowd.

20. Duke of Marlbrough

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.