1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 3750 - City Time

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Aug 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

I have done as directed by the people.

One unit (the chariot) has moved Westward.
    The Horseman has moved Southward.
    Settler #2 moved to the plains square that may be our SSC.
    Settler #1 moved north and built a road.

All units have moved except for Settler #1.

No Cities have been founded yet. That will happen next turn.

Current Screen Shot:

You may not be able to see it, but the square directly East of Settler #2 has a speck of land in the corner.

Demographics:

Top Five Cities:

I was looking at the possible city sites of:
    (91,59) (Where Settler #2 is)
    (87,65) (One South and One East of Settler #1)
    (86,72) or (88,72) (currently un-explored, but will be revealed by the Horseman shortly)
    Assuming the terrain isn't crap, it looks like it would cover the terrain nicely.

There are only 5 squares of map south of the Horseman.

We have found another special and another hut. Although that doesn't help to find where we are in the special pattern. However, it does raise the possibility of a 4 special just past the chariot that will have a silk in it. Depending on which type of terrain is around it, it could be a better spot for our SSC.

2. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Right, I think that as previous policy has been, we should pop the hut before any cities have been built. Again we don't want any barbs and wouldn't want an AT ruining our settlement plans.

The land spotted two squares away means that the Island to the east is of a reasonable size. Whats our policy regarding exploration of other continents Foreign Advisor?

I say we stick with the original plan to settle our capital in the North-East near the two whales and our secnd city where the other settler is now. If the second city starts pumping out settlers as fast as it can, we should have revealed enough of our Island to pick out a good spot for city #3, no?

If we pop the hut first, then build our capital and second city where we original proposed, then once our first settler has been built we should know of a decent site for it to settle.

3. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

4. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Pop, Found Capital 2Whales, Horse continue SE.

Regarding our SW Settler, are we planning ocean access? Eventually, a harbor would be beneficial. Perhaps move SW and settle, but that was not the original plan, was it? The SW site will interfere with irrigating the shield, I know. But viewing the long-term city packing, and harbor, it seems a decent choice.

5. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Are we still going to make the 2 whale city are capital? If so remember the City Name List!

In relation to the cities, what the Duke said works for me but pop the hut first....

6. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Okay get that hut, get our whale town open, send that horse to explore around down there.

7. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Way to go team!

Yeah!

Here is an update of the master Pattern GIF (3 cases are still possible):

Here are some ideas about early city layouts & specials/land patterns, based on what we know to this point:

Note the assymetric nature of the Proper Road between the future SSC and the Future #2 city. Also note the direction for the #2 capital road -- it is this road alone that determines if we get the slashed waste benefit for a road to the capital from #2 (it will be the #4 shield in the #2 city in Despotism that is affected).

The #3 city need never be large.... it should spew support units and caravans like mad.

:)

8. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

starlifter: the usual quality post. What are we others doing here?????? ;)

9. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Naturally, move settler #1 to the NW site, to found next turn.

I agree with the wise council of prior posts: next turn, pop the hut first! Then found the SSC, then the #2 city. :)

10. starlifter

starlifter Deity

Wow! Quick reply, Lt. Killer!
    A lot of people already know what I post, since the techniques are widely known... but a lot don't, and this type of game is great to show the "hows" of thinking that goes into efficient games!

Early game stuff is pretty cut and dry, but as the game goes along, there are lots and lots more variations on any given game turn. As the game progresses, suggestions will likely become less clear cut at times. For example, look at the succession game thread on the D+1 game... and you'll see that Kev, Andu, etc. often come up with better ways to do some things that what I had in mind. ;)

The really key thing in this game so far has been the proper exploring done by our Pres & VP. That horseman is literally worth ten times its cost, in Gold (well, beakers).

PS, If the citizens were going for an ICS type of strategy, these would not be the best suggestions. An unexpected war can also rock the early boat, so to say :).

11. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

starlifter: that's why i put the ;) there!

12. starlifter

starlifter Deity

That's why I put my ;) there, too :).

13. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

An eploration poll has been posted here.
    Cast your votes, share your thoughts!
    :)

14. Duke of Marlbrough

I'm not sure when Dell is getting back from the vacation he mentioned here. If he is back and got 2.42 working, he will resume as President. If not, I will do the next series of turns Tuesday night.

15. bigfatron

bigfatron Emperor

I'd like to propose a variation on the settlement locations:

1 Move settler 1 - S then SE. This location for City #2 then allows City #3 to be built 1 tile W of the location suggested in Starlifter's map, bringing the silk into play early and maximising use of space. We get three potentially significant city spots early on, both can be roaded to the capital to avoid waste

2 Pop hut

3 Found capital (settler 2)

4 Found city #2 (settler 1)

I think we should also look out for scope to found a city on the potential specials site SE of the horsey - this may be the only locaiton for an 'isthmus' city that allows naval units to scarper from one side of our main island to another in a hurry.

Are there any other potenial founding sites to be considered for settler 1?

A city founding poll will follow shortly incorporating any suggestions.

16. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I say move Settler #1 (nearest hut) SW, and settle there.

17. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

Okay....getting feet wet here. I just registered tonight, so my question is...When does my voice join the masses, and do I have a vote in polls that are still open?

18. starlifter

starlifter Deity

You have an equal vote and input with the rest of us citizens. Feel free to post, make your ideas known, etc. The President (or VP) actually play the game, but they listen to the input from the peasants with torches (us), as well as the council & governors (we don't have governors yet, because not enough cities).

Feel free to vote in any poll you can find!

Welcome to Democracy, BTW. And a welcome to the other new citizens!

19. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

Thx Starlifter. :D After the horrible GOTM I sent in, I figure this is one of the best places to get educated. Glad to be a citizen!

20. Duke of Marlbrough

GSC:

By posting you are part of the masses. Voting in polls is the greatest power you can have since that helps decide the game. :)

Next Turn Thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.