1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 3900 - The Next Stage

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Ok.

I popped the hut and we got a chariot. He then moved North to find another speical and then SW is anticipation of moving Westward.

That's it.

I think with the new info we have on terrain and specials, the city placement should be re-examined. Just to be sure we based our decisions off of the current information.

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Excellent! The chariot will greatly speed-up our exploration.

3. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

Excellent hut result! :goodjob:
    I still say that we should settle on the coastal squares where we planned to for both cities. That would mean our capital will be one above where the first settler is stood upon his road and the second city (SSC no doubt with all the sea squares) will be on the plains square in the middle of the two whales we have uncovered with the possibility of foresting that grassland next to the two units to get another special - after looking at the pattern closer that is. I think I should let starlifter do that given the results of my speculation earlier ;).
    As we are at the bottom of the world map, then I say we send both units to explore the west, with the horseman following the western edge of the continent and the chariott he eastern side. We may well be on a small island on our own, but we should try to establish contact with other civs as soon as possible if we are not alone. One of the units will have to go south eventually, but I don't think it's urgent yet, despite the AI keenness to use the polar areas for exploration.

4. ainwood

You don't think its worth sending the horsie to the east?

I agree that the coastal site taking in the whales is ideal - the whales will also give a produciton boost to help build the colossus faster.

5. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

the SSC is fine on the plains, I think. But isn't it worth sending the Chariot/Horseman west for one turn, then maybe decide if we want the found the capital there? I do noit expect a better site there, but as planned before we would have wasteland between the cities (which i personally hate), so why not look what we find????

6. Lt. 'Killer' M.

Lt. 'Killer' M. Deity

to clarify: we have one coastal city then already, so the settler on the road could also found an inland city....

7. duke o' york

Sorry that I've been away for so long (well, about an hour), but now that my work PC has been "audited", I am back! :)

ainwood, I assume that you mean the horseman should go south east, rather than just to the coast to uncover more city squares. I think that the first defender of the city should explore and reveal the other squares unknown, although we will need a trireme to see if there's another special in the sea. As I said before, from the world view I reckon we're at the bottom of the world so we shouldn't worry too much about going that direction just yet, and should send both explorers west. We can have a poll on this of course. :D
    I know that there is another thread for this, but I say that we should have a city on the plains between the whales, but our capital should be maybe be on the grassland shield (a waste, I know) to the east of where the road is so that we can use as much land as possible and its radius will adjoin the radius of the SSC and minimise corruption.

8. ainwood

Or is the other option to build the SSC first, so as to have no corruption? I guess we have to weight this against the length of time it will delay us overall, but the first settler could at least start building more roads / mines / irrigation.

9. duke o' york

Well we have already built a road and will be in despotism for a little while longer so I suppose that to build another road in the direction of the proposed SSC would make better sense than irrigating anywhere. If we do it on the other side of the proposed capital site then we can easily move back and found the second city once the SSC capital has been founded. This will be beneficial in the long run to avoid pre-democracy corruption but we will lose several early turns of production. I think that with some micromanaging we can recoup most of the shields lost early on and get some settlers out sooner rather than later to found great cities and announce our presence on this world! :D

10. starlifter

starlifter Deity

If we move the #1 settler straight north, build a road, and simultaneously move the #2 settler to the 3/4 special SSC spot, they will both arrive at their respective founding spots simultaneously. This means that in exatly 4 turns, we will have 2 cities producing 3 beakers, and science will be pretty quick. The SSC/Capital must be foounded firs, so as not to waste that very vulnerable trade. Two whales gives two more arrows, and if it is founded 2nd, those will likely be lost to corruption, and slow progress to Monarchy (plus gold buildup) significantly.

The power city will be up north. It is going to produce over 30 shields before RR, and it wil also easily hit 120 trade. I think it is going to hit close to 150 trade at times. The southern capital option will not be as powerful, naturally (without the whales). It will be a minimum of size 33 city, and likely a size 35... and the city will be able to generate over 1500 science beakers by itself (in a democracy with the proper attention).

But the critical years are until Flight. With republic, colossus, and KRC, the SSC can almost single-handedly defeat all comers. But even Republic + Courthouse + Roads cannot save the waste (shields) and corruption (arrows) if it's gagantuan output is hobbled by not having the Palace.

The other option is to found the capital in the original spot 3 turns earlier, and later build a 100-shield (half a wonder) palace at the 3/4 SSC spot. I do not like that option, but it is something for the citizens to consider.

All we are losing is 6 food and 6 shields by building the capital at the SSC (3 turns of production). No net science is lost because of the extra arrow output of the SSC vc. the original spot.

The point about the "lost" squares of production is valid.... but those squares will not be lost, as a city will be founded that will spend it's life using the tiles between the 1st and 2nd cities. That middle city will likely be 2 (or maybe 3) squares north of the southern city (the #2 city) site. The east must be kept clear (e.g., not crowded by placing the #2 city further east), as it can right now even support #4 and probably #5 cities. If the #2 city (the #1 settler) founds to the east of the road, this area will be heavily impinged upon. The #1 settler has an ideal site (the original NW site) for shield production & growth & spawing new cities (e.g., settlers) rapidly. It will likely be the mother of all cities ;)....

11. starlifter

starlifter Deity

BTW, since the tile to the west of the hut is a grassland (drat!), we do not know which case of specials (e.g, #1, #2, or #3 from the prior thread) we have. The only way this affects our planning right now is the "satisfaction" of knowing whether we have a 3 or 4 special SSC up north. It in no way affects the development down south, which is pretty much a dead zone (in terms of specials) in all 3 cases.

Knowing which case we have will tell us whether or not we need to mine the grassland non-shield next to the hut#2 location. It will not tell us if the result of mining will be a Pheasant or a Silk... if it is a special, and we mine, and it is a Pheasant, we'll just have to irrigate it as it becomes a problem in Republic. Hope it is a Silk ;).

12. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

An exploration poll for the current situation has been posted here

Start voting, where will we explore next?

13. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Excellent result :goodjob: I agree with duke's exploration plan: both east, with the horse taking the SW coast, and the chariot the NE (actually moving NW generally).

I think there should be a thread started (maybe there is, I haven't looked yet :blush: ) concerning our first city(ies)edit-civ1's post got in before mine :)

14. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

Well with that whale and those three shield and all that ocean a city to the SE of the horse would be a good idea.

Move the 'road' settler to the NW and build there.

Send the horse to the south and the charriot to west. No point in wasting a 2-move unit for defence so early when exploration is the key.

Just my opinion ;)

15. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

I really like starlifter's settling plan and build SSC and capital in one by the #2 settler and let #1 settler build another road and then found the 2nd city on the grassland between the roaded and "shielded" grassland.

16. Serutan

Serutan Eatibus Anythingibus

I say stick to the original poll decision for settler #1 (settle
    to NW). But if you want to wait and make it the second city
    instead of the capitol, that would be OK.

17. seanwel

seanwel Emperor

"Starlifter's Plan" is an excellent and logical option.

18. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Domestic Advisor reporting for duty!

I won't bore you with details of my holiday, so straight to the point. You lot have made excellent progress in the last two weeks and it looks like we are well on our way to a pre-1900 victory already :cool: and huge thanks to Ron for being a superlative deputy :goodjob:.

Now then on the exploration/settlement front. I reckon that we should build with the eastern settler on the costal plain, and that it should be the capital in order to combat corruption. The second settler should build the second city inland on the grassland area, then start pumping out settlers for further exploration, settling and tile improvements. I think that we should send one of our popped units west definatley, but is it possible that we could send one south over those hills? The only problem is that if we dont find anything behind them then it was a bit of a waste sending it there. But hey, don't look for nothing, don't find nothing :).

--EDIT--

Hmm, still need to work on remembering those compass points...

19. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.