1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 3950 Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by GaryNemo, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Are browsers permitted to comment?
    Maybe explore down right now, because an immediate Capital site is down right from Dell19's Great Road in the pure green, to get a free shield, Harbor access, 2 Forests, 5 Greens.
    Or, straight right to include The Hill.

2. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Of course you can join in although there should be separate threads to talk about these decisions, but they have not been created yet.

3. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

I'm assuming that you play more Civ 3 than Civ 2...

Unlike Civ 3, moving onto a Hill square does not reveal extra squares ;)

4. Angelscotboi

Angelscotboi Emperor

I think that garynemo is correct. We probably should move our second settle south in view of founding a second city...a second city would help generate more trade and therefore increased research, which would help make up for the turn/turns we did not have a city. And any lag which that would have caused.

5. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

I gave up on Civ3.
    By moving the Horse down, we explore a potential Capital area.
    By moving Dell19's Settler Down Right, it comes to pure green, gaining the city thus founded an extra production etc.
    By moving the Settler Straight Right, the city site would include The Hill and it's productive potential.
    Ren, what to do with your Northern Settler, I don't know...

6. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

This is what I suggest we do. It took some thinking, so I hope it's not too long.

Press the Activate Cheat buttons.

Kill all other civilizations.

Claim victory.

7. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Well that was a waste of a post...

8. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

AT - please don't spam up our forum here. We're trying to have some fun here and to play this game properly so that everyone enjoys it and gets something out of it, whether that be a new technique they have not considered before, or a new appreciation for a particular style of play. You may have meant it as a joke, but people have been banned from this site for trying to spoil the previous democracy game by revealing the map and cheating so let this be a warning to anyone who thinks it might be funny to ruin our game.

As I said in the other thread, I'd like to know where the specials are to be found before I build my SSC and with none in sight, I am wary that if we found a city straight off we might spoil the chance of getting a four-special city as the specials may be hidden by the grassland. All I would ask is that the horsemen be moved first on the next turn and then if they spot either a special or a hut Dell consults the grid posted by starlifter to find the fours special locations and builds cities there. We know whereabouts on the map we are, and where one of the huts was so we shouldn't require too much more to work out where the specials pattern will fall. :goodjob:

9. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

And I would suggest that we move the horseman ONE space and see what is revealed before taking the second move. It may (or may not ;) ) be important.

10. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

That's a good idea, ainwood.

11. bigfatron

bigfatron Emperor

Sorry to rain on the parade, but there is no way we can establish the special pattern from the next two moves, even if the specials are visible (and I think Smash has been sneaky and hidden them all under grass). The likelihood is that we are on the extreme edge of special/hut pattern in which case we have a way to go before finding out what the pattern is.

The big question is how long do we delay founding the capital while trying to establish the position?

12. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

Not that long. Its probably more worthwhile to build our capital in the next two turns and then if we find its in a bad spot, then hopefully our second settler will be more successful.

13. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

Agree with Dell. There are decent city sites available right now, whatever the specials may prove to be. If we cannot determine the special pattern in the next turn or two, I say we found our capital just to get something going, and then when we do have the pattern figured out, our second settler can (hopefully) found a better city.

14. Myartar

Myartar Yeah, I'm back

I'm in agreement as well, if we wait too long, we risk falling behind in tech and military. Need to get things up and running!

15. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

Oh no, Im serious. Press the cheat button. Do it.

16. starlifter

starlifter Deity

by Alpine Trooper:
    We already heard your suggestion. Good thing I'm not a mod.

BTW, bigfatron is correct about IDing the pattern with certainty in the next 2 turns. There will remain an ambiguity no matter what during the next 2 turns (unless we get lucky and have a river to take us to the proper tiles we need to see to lock it down).

I'd simply slide settler #1 NW and found the Capital after the horseman moves his 4 squares. Fact is we are going to build a city down there sometime (we are not going to ignore that terrain), and it may as well be now.

If a better spot is found, settler #2 can make city#2. Let the horseman pop more huts and get a replacement NONE settler ;).

EDIT: Oops. The "NW" accidently said "NE"... it's fixed now :eek: .

17. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

You've had some nice reminders, now you get your last warning.

18. Alpine Trooper

Alpine Trooper AllCiv

I suggested we use the cheat button? Whats wrong?

19. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

I think duke was pretty clear on the issue.

Your posts weren't adding to the game and suggesting doing something that could ruin the game for everyone. That's it, no more discussion about cheat mode. At All.

20. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

I have been convinced that we should build the first city after the settler has finished on the road. We will of course have to fill in all the land on our continent and we may as well start as soon as possible. Given that Smash has probably hidden all the specials under grass then I'd think it highly unlikely for there to be rivers anywhere on out starting continent so we will not automatically get any decent trade squares straight off. The road our first settler has been building will be very useful but we may still have to use the sea squares as often as possible to catch up with the AI's tech quite soon. It is no real disaster if we don't make it to philosophy first but if we lose M'sC then we will have a lot of fighting to do before we can start thinking about a good Democracy. If we found the city by the road we have built then we'll get 2 trade, 2 shields and 4 food a turn so it'll only take 5 turns for the first tech (Alphabet it seems) and not much longer for growth. Since we already have a horseman and are well within the turn limit for barbs then I say we should start a settler in the capital and then build warriors and settlers. Once we have grown to size 2 then we can put the extra worker in the sea and get more trade while growing slower! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.