1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 51-100

Discussion in 'Team CivFanatics' started by Caledorn, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Caledorn

Caledorn Emperor

Time to consider the old thread archive material and start a fresh thread - we've reached turn 50, so this is for discussion of the next turn and forward until turn 100. :)

2. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Moving the T51 and beyond discussion over here. Thanks Cal for starting the thread.

@Sommerswerd: discussion about SH started around T45 in the T1-50 thread, and I believe it's also discussed in the micro thread slightly.

3. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

I wanted to bump this up again so that everyone takes a look at it. The question about the worker actions for this turn is still up in the air. It was suggested that we should pause the mine in favor of getting a road to our 3rd city so that it will be connected the turn it's founded. However, the 3rd citizen will be born in Terasvin this turn, so if we do that there will not be an improved tile for him to work. Right now my plan would be to stick with the official micro (build the mine). If others have comments on the issue, we've got about a day left on the clock, but it would be best for me to do the turn tonight. If someone else wants to take this turn so we can have more discussion feel free to claim it.

4. talonschild

talonschild Drive-By NESer

Eh. Why would it matter if City 3 spends a turn unconnected? Compared to making sure our big cities operate at 100%, bolstering a small one slightly seems insignificant.

5. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Hadn't looked at the micro plan when I made the suggestion (and still haven't), and I thought it called for road plus deer before mine. We should definitely follow the plan to get SH out by T56, so let's finish the mine.

6. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Bad news everyone, somebody else got Hinduism this turn :(

I switched our tech to hunting. This will give us the possibility to build the camp on the deer a turn early (if we're willing to delay the road to Mantra) There's no other benefit to use getting Polytheism besides the religion so I don't think this will be a controversial move.

The other thing we should consider, quickly, is the build in Mantra. Right now the micro has it as a granary. Do we want to switch this to a monument in case we fail at getting SH? Do we want to stick with the granary, and maybe use one of the two workers that were going to support Mantra to chop one of the forests near Terasvin a little faster to improve our odds with SH?

My gut feel is to stick with the granary and do anything we can to rush SH, maybe even slavery. But I haven't run any tests for this.

I'll leave the turn un-finished for now in case we have some quick changes to make

7. 2metraninja

2metraninja Defender of Nabaxica

Yes, stick with granary. I feel we will get the SH.

8. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Ouch, that really sucks.

Definitely switch to Hunting, we can shoot for Mono after AH. Looks like we need to lower the slider a bit, but we should still be able to finish it in one turn.

Definitely divert 1 worker to chop the tree located 1 from the mine, and then move 1 again to chop the next forest one turn early. This should let us finish SH on T55 with nine hammers of overflow. Slavery won't save us any turns since we're getting the final hammers so quickly through chops and we only have one pop available to whip away. The other worker who finished the mine can start camping the Deer next turn.

I say we switch the build in Mantra to a Settler, and chop it out. I know that seems weird, but now that we're putting an extra chop into SH we'll be getting the Settler from Indira out slower. Plus, we won't be able to pop Mantra's borders until T65 at the earliest (if we get SH on T55), so it only has one good tile to work (Deer) before then, so no need to grow. Once the Workers finish the chops down by Terasvin, and the Deer camp, and road, are finished, we can use all three Worker's to quickly chop out a Settler. With the improved Deer, I bet we can do that and still grow before we can improve the Gold and the other Food resources.

9. Bowsling

Bowsling Deity

That sucks. :(

Do we know who it was yet?

10. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

It had to be someone who got a tech this turn. And the religion screen shows it was founded in a city that has 5% of the world population. I don't know if that's enough info to figure it out, nobody converted to the religion yet.

11. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

I took Yossarian's suggestion to build a settler and changed that before ending the turn. So we have 1 turn into a settler in Mantra 19 to go. The question now is what is the best way to speed this up? A camp on the deer would be helpful, but a worker chopping forests can make more additional production (in the short term) than an improved tile can. We may be better off chopping the forests immediately to get the setter finished, then putting a camp on the deer ASAP when it's finished. When we work the road in there is another big question.

Then it's a question of where we settle. We've got some flood plains cities that will help keep the tech rate up, copper should also be a big priority.

As for unit moves in the next turn. I already moved Thunderfall, there was only one good option, 3 onto the plains hill. It revealed a source of copper 9,9 from Thunderfall's current location. We've speculated that teams will all have a nearby source of copper, we and RB both do. This looks a little too far from WPC to be their copper. It raises a question of if this is therefore a different team's copper, or if it's a source in the middle of nowhere. I'm inclined to take a look around. There's open terrain between us and the copper so, 3, 9 makes the most sense IMO. We can also now see a chain of mountains SE from Thunderfall which look like a challenge if we decide to continue eastwards in the jungle.

Padma didn't move yet. The previous plan of 3,3 doesn't look as good. A wolf is now 3,2 from Padma, 3 is a non forested hill. Going 2 instead puts us in stronger defensive terrain, but delays getting a look around the mountains a little. And may force us onto open terrain in subsequent turns.

12. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I think the timing will work out perfectly to finish the Camp first then finish 3 chops on T59 for the Settler to complete T60.

Basically, LP or Nabaxo goes to chop around Indira while the other starts the Deer camp next turn (T52). The Camp finishes T56 with 20 hammers in the Settler so far (+5 per turn for 4 turns). By this turn SH should be finished and hopefully our other workers have been able to complete the road. Then each Worker can move into a forest on T57 and start chopping (or we can put all three workers and 1-turn the chops over three turns). That gets us 60 hammers on T59, along with 21 from working the Deer for 3 turns (+7 per turn), along with the 20 we put into the Settler on T52-T56, gives us 101 total hammers and the Settler complete on T60.

I would use this settler for our outer Gold city (the eastern one). The Workers can have the road network done the turn we settle (T61), and the Gold improved the turn after (T62). The Settler out of Indira can be for our Copper city.

I'd move 6 with Padma to get on the forested hill.

13. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Here it is on the spreadsheet.

Spoiler :

We can still put one chop into a Settler from Indira to get the Copper city settled by T64. We will get Gold by T62 so we'll want Indira to grow fast after this (maybe giving a FP to City 5 so Indira can work Banana if that will shave a turn off). We'll have 5 workers by T61, to improve all our new cities.

What do people think? Any way to tighten up the micro? Any other suggestions? Here's a recent picture of the area.

Spoiler :

The second Gold city goes 9 from the Gold, and the Copper city goes 6 from the Copper. We chop forests 1, 7 and 9 around Mantra.

14. 2metraninja

I'll try few variants of the MM tonight. But even before seeing the picture, my instinct says: develop the tile, chop granary, grow the city. Just after then if you need settler, whip/chop it.

15. 2metraninja

I like this :thumbsup:

16. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

I would almost always go for a Granary first myself, but in Mantra's case, there just aren't any good tiles for it to work at size 2 until the border pops. If we build the Settler first to complete on T60, we can then switch to a Granary so that the city grows on T65, the exact same turn the borders expand. If we chop one forest into the Granary, then we should be able to 1-pop whip the Granary on T65, grow back to size 2 again on T70, and size 3 on T73, while working only improved resources (or FP cottages) in Mantra and the city that will share the Gold.

If we don't want to whip Mantra, we can build a Mine for it to work at Size 2 to finish the Granary quickly after the Settler. Since we didn't get a religion in Mantra, I think it will work best as a production city, working the Deer, hilltop Pigs, and Mines (2 plains and 1 grassland mine), while the other Gold city will be our commerce city, working the riverside Cow, riverside Gold, and FP cottages. Of course, these cities can trade tiles to fit our needs as we go (Mantra working Gold while the other city grows, for example).

17. talonschild

Hang on. It all depends on city size. Mantra has a chance yet for Holiness. Though small, I grant.

My experimentation has revealed that I was previously wrong all those turns and pages ago, and large cities do indeed seem to get Holy more often. So if we do get to Monotheism first I suppose it depends on growth after all.

Of course, more importantly we should be focused on empire growth because that's harder for other teams to steal out from under our noses, and SH is a good Plan B. Or was Mono and Judaism B? Because then SH is Plan C.

Anyways. We're doing well, and all proceeds according to plan. Even if it's not the preferred plan. Stay the course.

18. YossarianLives

YossarianLives Deity

Uh oh, does that mean that your computer is no longer an official shrine to Eddie, God of Improbable Occurrences? Hopefully you were using a different computer for those tests, since Eddie could be a good God to have on our side in times of war. :lol:

19. talonschild

Eddie has for the moment abandoned me and taken up residence on a shoe-shaped spaceship. I'll perform the appropriate summoning rituals when hostilities commence.

20. 2metraninja

For me, it was always fairly equal divided between Plan A and Plan B. Early religion always sounds to me as so-so idea if I have better things to do and I am not pursuing Oracle, also the chances were fairly slim to get the religion at first with the need to delay it to give it a chance to be founded in Mantra, then the chance that it may spawn in Teras instead. Thats why I though SH is a good idea, because we have higher chance for it, and once we get it it will spawn the borders of Mantra in 9 turns without doubts and it will serve us generally well in the long run.

Exactly this! Failures do happen. The main thing is to not despair, wave a hand and move on, planning for the future. If life brings you lemons, make lemonade.