1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn 70 to 80

Discussion in 'Team Doughnut' started by Robi D, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Robi D

Robi D Minister of (Dis)Order

I thought i would start a new thread as the other one was getting a bit big. I tihnk about 10 ten per thread is a good number.

Turn 70, 1300BC

Well its been 10 turn since i took over and were still here and nothing falling apart (amazingly :)), although i feel its more a case of good luck rather than good management ;) . Anyway i think this would be a good time for a bit of a review and forward planning.

First things first
    Never Again builds MW starts another one.
    Sugar builds barracks, start MW
    Crunch buils spear, start another.

Sci reduced for from 80% to 70% (no effect on poly, which is due in 8)
    205g and 0gpt

Now our previous success has inspired some caution in TNT's play, our MW had a look and found 2 immo's fortifed in the jungle. I chose not to attack because unlike the hill situation earlier our MW's would need to move a square before attack meaning even if they withdrew from battle they would still be left next to the immo's, hence it was too much of a risk. I fortied the warrior to see if we can bait the immo off the mountain. Given the river crossing the warrior has a 25% chance if attacked so he would do some damage. I think we shouldn't expect anymore straight forward battles with TNT, we showed them last time our MW's can do lots of damage and so far they seemed to have learnt that lesson, so expect a lot of tactical positioning and manouving to take place from now on, a bit like a good game of chess. At the end of the day though we have the advantage, because our 2MP means we can pick and choose our battles.

Next on the agenda, city placements. You will note i've put down 8 possiblities both from the east and west side of our empire. Now i will explain some of the logic of the choices.

A and E would be good production cities, but for the moment the danger from the immo's is too great to go there straight away, once we've cleared some of them we should build there.

G is a inbetween city that helps us link up the furs and should provide good growth and commerce. I don't think we need to put it on the hill as its behind the front lines and the hill would be good to have for production in the future.

F will link up the furs. It should also provide good growth (2 fish, sugar), good production (iron on hill, bg and plains) and good commerce (river, wines) so it should be able to overcome corruption losses due to its distance from springfield.

H is a good spot because it has 2 fish and 2 whales (with expansion) and it is a long way from the front lines but fairly close to springfield. It could become a naval production centre in the future.

D again is a bit of an inbetween city. Its close to springfield and has wine and sugar (with expansion) in its radius.

C is another good production location for military units and with the river should overcome corruption with the extra commerce generated.

B expands our border northward and gives us a city with good growth potential and would serve as a link to cities further north.

My order of settlement would be G-F-C-H-D-B but i would interupt the sequence to put in A and E if and when we clear the immediate danger from the area.

And finally to our warplans (nearly finished:) )

As you can see our GS squad is making it way up the east coast sweeping for any stray immos and making their way to the rally point. I'm assuming TNT have kept their immo on the mountain (it is a good idea but who know with them). Hopefully our WC squad can make quick work of the immos and we can use them to try to get the immo off the mountain so the GS squad gets to surprise TNT. If not i would favour using the GS squad as a carrot to try to get the defences over to that side while our CR squad makes its way up the west coast and hit semtex and carpetbomb to become the big stick. With expansion we will need a second defensive MW squad so we can cover all our cities.

Thats all for the moment, i look forward to all your hints, tips and suggestions.

2. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

First of all Robi, you are doing a great job and that's not because luck.;)

I’m paranoid, so what?
    I like G first and then F and then B (It would be a good base for repair for the eastern defensive squad when build)

I agree with you whole heartedly plan. My additions: I think that WC squad should become our eastern defensive squad and the second defensive squad when build should cover the west. Until it is built I think WC should be kept around the North Central Mountains. When the two squads are built the demarcation should be the North Central Mountains with a couple of warriors on the peaks to act as scouts and the MWs spread out to the East and West respectively on plains and grass to take advantage should immortals appear out of the jungles or marshland.

-the Wolf

3. Emp. Killyouall

Emp. Killyouall EVIL Emperor

I think the immo has a 94% chance of winning over the warrior, tested it in a combat simulator, but I may be wrong. So goodbye warrior. The chances of a reg MW killing a fortified vet immo on jungle/forest is... 8.5%! :eek:

EDIT changed the number to 8.5%, didn't have fast attacker on, so some of those points are changed to a 41% chance to retreat.

4. Robi D

I had this conversation with Tubby Rower from KISS. It was mostly a chat but when the game came up he came up with some interesting relevations.

Now call me paranoid but MIA would have no reason to lie about MM unless, well they are planning to get involved on TNT's side. This would change our war plans a lot since while they only might send over 4 to 6 units, our coastal cities aren't heavily guarded as were focused on TNT coming in from the north.

Now what i need to know first, is if Tubby was accurate about what he said to me so if Daveshack, Zyxy or anyone else with CA2 can confirm what Tubby said about the tech situation.

Secondly if it is true we are going to have to adjust our strategy to defend from a sea approach.

And Lastly we can't let MIA suspect that know any of this, so we should continue the trade and leave our happy faces on. They must continue to think we don't have a clue what is going on.

5. Robi D

TURN 71

The chess battle continues, TNT are using their immos to push our warrior around on the hill, however i'm setting up a little ambush. The GS squad stop a MIA curragh off our coast and moves inland to avoid detect in case MIA is working with TNT. Warrior near Semtex is fully healing and starts exploring again.

Shelby builds spear, starts on settler
    Spear moves to never again which free up the archer to go to new city
    205g -1gpt Poly in 7.

Oh and if you want to know the reason TNT attacked us, check out the MTDG forums who will win thread. For the lazy here's an extract

6. Robi D

Turn 72

Another victorious day for Doughnutia. TNT moved the immo east to go around us, so WC1 and 3 went in for the kill. WC1 took 1HP off the immo before having to withdraw after losing 2HP, then WC3 rode into battle and finished the immo off without losing any HP's. So that makes it 4-1 to us now:D.

The rest of WC squad and CR1 move into position to take out the immo if he decides to step off the hill and GS squad starts to group up as they head towards the rally point.

In the rest of the world its seems MIA have founded a couple of cities themselves as their scoring has accelerated the last couple of turns.

Settler in position to found Coffee
    Springfield finishes settler starts MW.
    204g -2gpt, Poly in 7.
    We will go back to positive gpt next turn when coffee is founded.

7. Alphawolf

I say we use the possible MIA treachery against TNT; since we were planning to use the GS Squad as a decoy with teeth to cover the western force when it's built why not let the curragh see the one of the MW, preferably a wounded one, to bait a trap.

Also I'm not near a computer with Civ3, so could you post a pic of the mini-map.

-the Wolf

8. Emp. Killyouall

Emp. Killyouall EVIL Emperor

EDIT nvm found it

9. Robi D

Seeing as turn 73 has stalled for the second time i thought i might take the oppertunity to see if i can get some ideas on the table. See as there hasn't been a lot of feedback recently i can only assume that everyones happy with what i have been doing. Even if this is the case it still doesn't hurt to throw out some new ideas because as they say two heads are better than one, plus its nice to know your still here:). Anyway here's a summary of the current state of doughnutian affairs.

FOREIGN
    The tide of the war with tnt has gone in our favour, we have killed 3immo's and a warrior while they've killed one of our warriors so the scoreline 4-1 in our favour. At the moment our WC squad of MW's is keeping their immo's pre occupied on the edge of the jungle and in the hills north of us. Meanwhile our GS squad is about 2 turns from making their rally point, from their they will continue on into TNT territory and hopefully do some damage. The CR squad will be complete in 3 turns and they will make their way up the west coast to form a 2 pronged attack.

Relations with KISS have continued to be positive while their is a question mark with MIA. When i asked them about a trade involving MM they said they didn't have it and were researching Lit atm, which we will get in a trade for Poly, however KISS informed us that they do have MM. Now if MIA had said they weren't prepared to trade MM that would be one thing but to lie about it makes me think they might be in the process of getting into an alliance with TNT (they traded with them and got math). So for now we'll keep our happy faces on to not tip them off about our discovery and keep an eye on them to see what they do.

And last but not least nobody was elected FAC last turn so he will be handling the FA stuff.

INTERNAL
    Both springfield and shelbyville continue to grow strong, which has allowed me to build settlers on a regular basis, with one now in place to found our newest city. I will continue to alternate between settlers, workers and military hardware. Our other cities have also grown and are contributing well to the production of MW's and spears. With the founding of the 2 new cities we will be able to hook up the furs giving us an extra happy person per city so we should be able to increase production even further. We still have 16 turns of our GA to go so hopefully the increased production will keep us in good shape.

Almost every city has a spear in it now with the frontline ones also having a sword too for defence. Most of the warrior upgrades have been done, only the ones still up north doing sentry work haven't been upgraded.

With the growth of our cities we might want to start considering putting in some temples and libraries (when we get lit) in the production queue's. This would increase our culture therefore expanding our border giving us greater line of sight plus keep more people content and increase science. As a start i would put a temple in our 3 biggest cities, spring, shelby and never again and with lit put a library in spring (its getting extra commerce from the gold its sitting on). Also i would like to build at least 2 more barracks in the near future in spring and never.

Finally admiral bell has taken over the IAC postion so he'll be handling the IA stuff.

@ Alphawolf, i will do a post the minimap pic this turn, when i eventually get a working save game.

10. Alphawolf

thank you

-the Wolf

11. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Sorry, I should be more active giving feedback since I was asking for more myself back in the early turns.

We should check ourselves if MIA were straight with us on techs. While KISS seem to be acting honorably, there is nothing to keep them from reporting misinformation in hopes it will sour our relationships with the others.

By all means, crank out settlers as often as possible. The talk in the UN is about AGR as a civ trait being strong, let's use that strength.

I haven't been following the locations of our boats, we need to think about boat sentries to warn of potential sea invasions, once MM comes in for someone.

Temples -> happy, happy->population, population->production. Not that you're likely to, but don't make the single player mistake of building a bunch of them at once.

12. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

If MIA has lied as you say why don't we confront them, tell them we know they lied and ask for a explantion. They don't have the military to come take us, and it will shock them maybe they will respect us more, infact we could do so in a chat so they are forced to reply quickly.

As for KISS i think we should trade with them, they can be our allies we both are agricultral nations with a mobile unit. But highly religious nations the great Doughnut and Meelet are Probably just different names for the same Deity. anybody got any more comments for the KISS Negoiations thread would be appreicated.

As for TnT keep our horses moving we are discussing peace at the moment but we are prepared for war let them surrender.

13. Robi D

@daveshack. Thanks for reminding me, i haven't posted the boats locations for a few turns, neither has found nothing particularly interesting, but they are both on the final leg home so to speak. If someone with CA2 is willing to verify KISS intel that MIA has MM it would be welcome. As for the temples, i agree that they should be built all at once, was just checking if everyone was happy with the idea. If so i work then into the production queues in the near future.

@nobody. I don't think we should confront them because firstly we don't know if what KISS said is 100% accurate and secondly, if it is true and they are planning to team up with TNT in some way then i think its to our advantage for them to think we don't know, that way we can set up some surprises for them.

14. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

:eek:

heretics... :gripe:

15. DaveShack

I'm hoping you meant should not be built all at once. :) The pitfall is to stop military for too many turns.

16. Robi D

My bad, thats what happens when you get called away mid sentence. I did mean should NOT be built all at once.

Also, we have a working save!!! I'll play it in a short while.

17. Robi D

TURN 73 - 1225BC

Quite a eventful turn for us.
    A barb popped up out of the mist, luckly our warrior was able to spare my blushes, killing him after a close battle.

Coffee was founded and starts on a spear, the 2nd settler has made it to Crunch.

Our warrior up north pops TNT's hut and we get Lit! I wrote a quick note to MIA to inform them the Poly-Lit deal is no longer valid for us. (see neg. with MIA thread)

GS squad nears rally point, boats continue exploring with nothing interesting to report and TNT is still manouving its immos on the hills and i do likewise with our units. No new immos appear on the radar.

I got the minimap off the Mil. advisors screen as its bigger, i also tried to enlarge it a bit for clarity, hope its useful.
    We have 202g +4gpt and Poly in 5.

18. Robi D

Turn 74

Not much happened this turn. TNT grouped their immos in the hills. The other 2 immos that were on the jungle fringe can't be seen anymore. They have either gone west along the jungle fringe or possibly headed back NE into the jungle to meet up with other immos before returning.

Chocolate finished MW (2nd member of CR squad) starts on another MW
    Crunch finshed spear, start on another spear.
    A MW from WC sqaud heads back for repairs and GS squad reaches rally point. Next turn we will find out if TNT have an immo on the mountain and hence how much warning they will have of GS squad arrival.
    206g, +4gpt. Poly in 4, Sci 70%

19. Alphawolf

They will learn to fear the GS squad. :lol: :lol: :sniper:

-the Wolf

20. DaveShack

OK, gotta know...

how did you get the northern half of our cities to display the name, population, what it's building information, but not the southern cities? I was under the impression that city info display was all or nothing.

If you stitched two images together, it lined up really well, but seems a lot of work...