Turn off death sound/music

Juanholio

Warlord
Generally I like the Civ5 SFX but that death music annoys the hell out of me. Any way to kill it without turning off all sounds?

I agree. I find it hugely annoying.

`Yea, my units been killed, I know, it`s depressing enough, I don`t need it shoving down my throat!`

I wish it could be removed.

Glad I'm not alone! Depending where the sound resource was stored it probably could be replaced by a blank but I don't know much about modding CiV so wouldn't know if it would be a trivial task or not.

Shame it counts as a 'sound effect' rather than 'music.'

Not an ideal solution, but I turn the volume knob down on my speakers when I get this, and turn it back up after all the notifications have loaded.

But yes, it's annoying. Like a mini-funeral march for every dead unit.

i just drop the sfx sounds to very low. im usually playing other sounds like my own music or the tv is on and i dont hear any of it. i dont really need any audio. it was nice for a bit but hundred of hours later its not necessary for me. same with animations. i'll turn them on for certain cool things now that i can do that in game.

The particular sound they used is what makes it so annoying, in my opinion. Why does the sound effect for unit death alerts sound like somebody sat on a whoopie cushion? They should have made all the alerts stack together under one icon (the way allied city state DoW notices currently do), and play the first three notes of "Taps" once for the whole thing. That would be less irritating and more appropriate.

Edit: I should clarify.... I had the unit death sound effect mixed up with the "Other civ beat you to a wonder" sound effect. I still think my suggestion would be better than the current sound effect.

I hate the music. When a unit dies i'm more annoyed by the music than the death of one of my loyal soldiers [pissed]

Yeah. I think of it as the "haha, up yours, you lost a unit!" tune. I often want to B-slap whoever made that sound clip and put it in the game. It should be possible to let you know you lost a unit, without being crass about it.

You can indeed replace the file in the code; I have no idea how to do it if you're really motivated I'm sure you can google it.

Do you mean the music that cues when the game figures out no matter what you do you are going to lose a unit? Because in that instance, it's n entirely different musical score rather than a whoopie sound effect. Just wondering.

Do you mean the music that cues when the game figures out no matter what you do you are going to lose a unit? Because in that instance, it's n entirely different musical score rather than a whoopie sound effect. Just wondering.

Right. See my edit above... sorry for the confusion.

I hate that too, so I just turned the effects down real low...I hate that ! I would love to replace it somehow. :D

It's sage advice like this which keeps me coming back to these forums ;)

It`s far from sage. More like dumb. How are we supposed to never lose a unit?

Maybe one day someone will have an actual wise solution to removing that sound.

But not yet it seems.

I modded off the sounds for all the animals (and other various unnecessary sounds) that was bothering me so much. So I'm pretty sure this should be moddable too.

But I didn't use the ingame mod system. The changes apply to normal non-modded games too, so it's more like changing a setting, rather than modding the game.

assets/Sounds/XML/Audio3DScripts.xml

That's the file I changed. Try looking through it and see if you can find the sound you want disabled.

Top Bottom