[Civ2] Turn off the casualty reports?

Roymand

Chieftain
If I can't find a way to turn off the casualty reports by the Defense Minister at the ends of turns when I lose units, I may have to stop playing -- the moronic repetitiveness of it keeps setting off my anxiety disorder. I've searched all over the web and can't find anything.

I'm stuck with the Multiplayer Gold edition; it was the only one I could find to download for free after my original classic disks got ruined in moving.

Anyone got some expertise?

Wish I could turn that off too, no way to do that AFAIK. What bothers me more though are all those "sam missile def doubles the defense strength of *whatever*", which do not have the regular expiration time.
There are some scenarios out there that I like playing but the amount of AI movements in them is mindboggling so I'd just leave the AI turn to run while I'm doing something else.
Nope, every time an AI attacks a city with SAM (either mine or another AI's), I have to click the ok button.
Whoever designed that horsehocky, should burn in hell, forever reloading a random hut outcome and just getting pottery every time.

Great (not). I turned the sound off, which helped, but the game seems sorta dead that way.

I haven't gotten the SAM issue, but this is my first game in MP gold and I am 'WAY ahead of the competition -- I hit three "advanced tribes" before I even had Bridge Building and that was an immense boost -- and bribing some enemy settlers early on gave me a work force that doesn't depend on any city. (I also noted once again that "advanced tribes" can put their cities in really stupid places.)

If I switch to the Classic version (if I can find a download), does that have the cursed casualty reports?

In classic as battle happens you get pop ups telling you about certain outcomes (like more than one unit getting killed, coastal fortress doubling defense, SAM ...). My guess is that these were put in initially to make sure the software is working as expected and then the lazy programmer never removed them. Like Blasph23 and Roymand I find them annoying but since I play space ship more often than conquest I do not run into these often enough to get frustrated.

I don't pursue conquest but I do swat opponents that attack me. If they repeat despite losing a city or two twice, I prefer to take them out because they're an annoyance.

Good point. Me too. This is particularly true of aggressive rivals. In fact so much so, that I often plan their conquest ahead of time knowing that near the end I will have to do it anyways. In my current game the Russians were stuck in a corner of a flat map buffered on one side by the Himalayas and on the other side by Chinese. I would have been happy to ignore them but knew that I could not. As expected, they became such a pest I ended up conquering them.

Top Bottom