Turn-thread 1950BC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwelgje

Deity
I don't feel like making witty comments on the play now, I've got a hangover because of a night filled with alcohol, so this time just the facts...

2300BC
A settler was bought in ThunderFalls for the combined price of 79 gold.

2250BC
A warrior was bought in Marl Downs for 8 gold but then production was switched to phalanx.

2200BC
The settlers from ThunderFalls build some roads.

2100BC
Civil disorder in Elysium which was solved by hiring an Elvis.
A phalanx was bought in Marl Downs, the construction of settlers begun after that, the chariot now was free to explore to the north.

2050BC
founding of filler city: warrior production.
Archers bought in Dellham and production switched to settlers.
The people of RC seemed to be unhappy, just before the riots began Elvis entered the building.

1950BC
The chariot arrived in Elysium and Elvis was sent out into the fields again to work.
Dellham bought the settlers.

Writing will be discovered next turn. With the science rate we've got now and the number of turns needed to complete Colossus in RC it would be advisable to research pottery next so we can switch to Hanging Gardens in RC. Otherwise I don't think we will be able to research both monarchy AND pottery before the Colossus is ready. I want somebody to post a poll on this issue.
In the next few turns we will know for sure whether or not we are alone on the island, the legion is far out on the peninsula, will it go on??? The chariot has reached the great blackness to the north. Very exciting stuff!!!
I'd also like some building queus for the cities not in the business of wonder-building.
We need to decide what to call filler city.

This is all I can think of for now.

We like the witty stuff, but facts are ok too! Treas=11 Gold.

Elvis is doing great, Colossus in 16 turns. That's close to the edge, if we start researching Pottery next turn then HG will work. Seems more critical in several ways than Monarchy to me. And the people will sigh with relief, not to mention their Domestic Advisor! But then HG and Colossus will be in different cities.

1950 BC, 150,000 in 6 cities, F5 $7 -0, Sci 9/8, Writing 1900 BC, NUF has 5 Tech: Alpha Bronze CB CodeLaws Warrior, F11 Mfg=16, FS=5.2, Treas $11. 10.Units, building 2.Sett 2.Warrior 2.Colossus

TFalls, building a Warrior, seems needed for its own happiness, but I'd rather a Settler, oh well.

Marl Downs, IPRB Warrior $8 next turn, if that's the most important Settler, not sure...

New Filler, Warrior in 3 turns seems ok, then dash to RC. I can't imagine naming it anything but Little Nemo!

Elysium, Workers are on Gems. Work on the Silk, then Colossus in 58 turns. We need Trade after Pottery, me thinks.

Dellham Settler bought, will pop and move to River Bend, named Reneaux, anyone need to vote on that one?

Sorry, no time for polls right now. Great job, Civ1 !

On the exploration front, I think our chariot has the best shot of discovering our nearest rivals. Our legion, I'm confident, has reached land's end.

I'm almost sure the that blackness north of the chariot is the rest of the continent. We can see outlines of the land mass from Dellham.

There is a new idea, to slow down the production in Regia Civitas, so as to build both Colossus and Hanging Gardens in Elysium. And maybe we are alone on this continent. Both ideas make me think of - another Filler City, F2

F2 would be used to produce happiness guards for Elysium, needed in 28 more turns, iirc. Of course, by that time we might have built the Hanging Gardens. F2 can build Caravans, Settlers that dash off to build a city, such as River Mouth. This list of possible uses is endless - and it's a free Road. Anyway, a picture:

F2 uses that otherwise unused Forest, and tiles nicely with the proposed River Mouth Site. Change the New Filler to IPRB a Warrior $8 to speed a Settler, and forget about spending gold in Marl Downs. TFalls is building another Warrior already anyway. The new Settler will build one road, R1, and dash to the F2 site.

We eventually need a road at the R? position; not now, Regia Civitas is paying for Elvis. And someday, build a settler to walk down to 2Whales. That city will first build a Settler to perhaps found the F3 site (which would temporarily use 2Whale's Northern Grassland Shield, probably with a Road.

This CFC site seems real slow now, so instead of posting more polls, let me ask, what shall we poll? Slowing production in Regia Civitas? Choosing Pottery asap (Department of Science Department). Dellham will make one Settler after another, right? Please either post, or PM me.
Regards, your Domestic Advisor.

I think we should first found the Whale City, then found
the second filler. Perhaps a poll would be in order on this?

Whale City first then Soutern River bend. As I've said before I'm not a big fan of filler cities. In Deity they add to the riot facot too much and other 'real' cities can build the exact same stuff as them. But, since we've already started on the 'filler city' concept, I guess we'll just keep going with them. But, we should build 'main' cities first.

"Give him an inch, and he takes a mile." I hear it. Besides, the Hanging Gardens will make a nice present to me, and we won't be so stressed for guards. Then ... we can build Roads.

Right now, TFalls and Filler are both building Warriors.
TFalls 2/10, Grow in 2, then Entertainer, Warrior in 5 total.
New Filler, 4/10, Warrior in 3.
Three cities have 0 Content: RC TFalls & Elysium.

It's a quick hop down the road from one to the other. So maybe, since we're going to leave the entertainer in Regia Civitas, and move one Whale to a Fish to slow it down (are we?) we could build one settler and one warrior. In which case, which is which? and we have $11, so we can spend $8 on one to speed it's Settler. Then Walk that Settler to found 2Whales. Perhaps build one extension road on the Grassland Shield.

I'll be glad to poll this, but I'm not clear on a plan. It seems every decision is interlinked at this point. For example, if we are going to build both HG and Colossus in one city, which one? If Elysium, we are going to need Trade, and what Wonder will we build in RC? Marco Polo? If RC, we research Pottery and switch to HG and our troubles are over .. but then, we've abandoned Elysium. Based upon this decision, others can be made.

Btw, I like my office in the our Capitol. I can look out from my second story window and see the oceans teaming with life, little farms litter the horizon, no dangerous forests, construction crews everywhere, and the people are singing old Elvis songs in the streets...

One plan which seems clear is to forget Elysium, research Pottery and let RC build HG first. Only problem is, nearly everyone else wants something different... Comments?

I don't see that having the HG and the Colossus in the same city is absolutely vital. We will just have to be more careful when managing the happiness in Elysium. As far as I'm concerned, Elysium makes a better SSC than RC and it would be daft to go back on this. We should just finish HG in RC and then be happy with that. We can then think about what to do next with RC. Whether we need some more settlers there or should start building caravans to help the SSC get quickly established can be discussed when HG is done. Let's not do what I did in a recent game and build the SSC, wonder why it wasn't producing that much science with three lovely wonders and realise that I'd forgotten to build a library. Elysium, without HG, will require the Colossus, Copernicus', Isaac's, a temple, a library, a university and an aqueduct. Anything else will either be added later or is not absolutely necessary and will depend on requirements.

Well Duke had a go here. :D

I don't see it as being necessary. Of course it is beneficial, but we can easily do without the one city bonus. If we want happy people so that it grows quickly then we can just celebrate in one of the representative governments. This will require investment in luxuries (greatly benfitted by a marketplace) anyway, with HG in the city or not so it's not as if we're going to be saving a great deal.
HG is far more effective on its own city than on the others, but you shouldn't underestimate its effect on those other cities. It's still a great wonder! :D

Well, HG gives 3 happy in its own city, as well as 1 happy in every other city. So, in addition to boosting all cities by 1 size, it adds 3 to its own city. Further, in Monarchy, it will celebrate, giving an effect like Colossus, an extra trade. In Republic, it will grow madly up to size 7, even without luxuries. I prefer HG to Colossus, so I can agree with: HG in 16 turns in RC.

As regards to being daft, I'm not so sure. Moving the capitol, and the corruption until then, is a factor. I've never moved my capitol, just seen the foolish AI do it repeatedly, so I don't know...

If someone else will please post an even more enlightened view, I will proceed to post a poll on this, and link to this logic. A lively and informed debate is what we need -- right now.

I have been thinking about having RC as the SSC, given that it has more sea squares but I am not entirely sure how much trade each can get at a base value. We will basically be wasting all of the shields accumulated in RC if we do not build either of these wonders there, although both there is still possible, with caravan help from the other cities. However, to try to get both HG and the Colossus in Elysium presents us with far more of a challenge. As far as I'm concerned with this, there are only two options: Make RC the SSC and build the Colossus and HG there, or build HG in RC and have Elysium as the SSC with the Colossus it is currently building. For the time being I favour the latter option as we will pretty soon be getting the messages that the AI is building wonders and to miss out on either of these very important wonders would be a major blow to our game. We'd have to go on the offensive!

I was slightly confused when people wanted them built in the same city so I will be happy if we build them in separate cities and don't waste production. Obviously if no one else has started a wonder by the time RC finishes its first wonder then option 1 is probably better.

Okay, some of this is starting to make some sense in my poor head now :crazyeye: and I am leaning toward finishing HG in RC and Colossus in Elysium. It will take FAR too long to build two wonders in Elysium, when it will need so many other things to be our SSC. There were good reasons for switching our SSC to Elysium and it seems we should stick to that plan for the best long-term benefits.

I agree with Leowind that we should stick to the Elysium SSC plan. RC will still be an excellent science producer also.

Citizen Mordhiem reporting for duty once more after unexpected interuptions hindered computer access.

Anyway, doesn't HG in RC and Collossus in Elysium just make sense? As already stated it would take too long to get two wonders in Elysium.

Hinted earlier was a possible capital change (to Elysium I presume). Obviously no corruption in the SSC would be a boost and the corruption rates of the river mouth city and New Dellham will be lower also. However at the expense of corruption in RC and the 2 whale city (which I think should be built next, btw), so it's pros and cons. I favour a capital move, but only if we can spare the extra 10-15 turns in Elysium, which I doubt will be the case. An SSC with no corruption wold help greatly.

I dislike capital moving as I feel its a waste especially to move a capital less than ten squares away. It would only be a reasonable in the late game when we should already be winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom