1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turn-thread 2350BC

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of Democracy II' started by Zwelgje, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

In 2550BC the settlers build a nice piece of road on the outskirts of our empire, the chariot stays close to protect them in this dangerous job. In the meantime the horseman id on its way to RC to comfort the people there who started to be a bit disorderly...
    The fine year of 2400BC saw the founding of Reneaux, the chariot loved the atmosphere of the town and decided to stay there for a while, at least until some more military would have been formed there.
    This same year saw the discovery of "Code of Laws" by our wise men and it was decided that they would start working on the discovery of writing. They said it would take them about 350 years (dumb fools....)
    The not so fine year of 2350BC saw ThunderFalls fall into disorder and the president didn't really know how to solve this issue. :(

The prez sez:
    I want to know how to solve the problem of disorder in Thunderfalls. Further on I'm just letting the units explore the continent and the cities are building their wonders and settlers while Reneaux is building a phalanx.
    Any thoughts/pieces of advise are welcome!

2. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

This is a Domestic Tragedy. Not only has TFalls no Content, but Elysium as well. It has an Archer guard for a few more turns.

RC, Colossus in 24 turns. Elysium building a wonder. Dellham, Settler in 14 turns, needs IPRB Phx. New city Reneaux will finish its Phx in 9 turns, just as it grows. Writing in 9 turns. 77 gold.

3. Octavian X

Octavian X is not a pipe.

The citizens of ThunderFalls must pay for their arrogence, for resisting our glorious Empire!

Basically, regain order in TF should be the #1 priority.

One more thing: this may be a good time to start drawing up provincial borders.

4. Zwelgje

Zwelgje Deity

Province borders....not a bad idea at all!
    This government-turn the domestic advisor should do the task of posting about building queues and stuff concerning happiness and all. Next government we might consider dividing the cities into two provinces.
    I'd like the domestic advisor to make a suggestion on how to divide our empire! (PM me first please, I might have a few ideas on this too ;) )

5. duke o' york

duke o' york It don't mean a thing....

What is TF building at the moment? I was pretty sure that it was a unit of some sort (settler maybe?) but we can always change it back if it's not too far advanced. Any unit will restore order here but after that we will need to think about keeping the city under size 4, so maybe using the forest for extra shields to make settlers while controlling the growth.

I have sent eyrei a PM and asked him to sticky this new turn thread.

6. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Tf is building a settler in 10 turns (14 if we make an entertainer). IU've not looked at pop increase though.
    Warrior can be built in 1 turn. Can't remember for phalanx.
    If we swap to temple it will cost 68 of 77 gold to rush buy

7. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Wellllll - maybe we should rush some warriors, simply for happiness control?

What really intrigues me is that although the legions and chariot in the north west have continued to explore, they haven't come to the edge of the continent yet. However, remember when Leo noticed that the legions were closer to the other civs than they were to us? Couple this with the fact that we haven't seen any AI explorers, and this is plain confusing!

I'd suggest that based on this, the land across the water from the southern-most legion is actually the AIs continent, and that ours ends at the mountain range. If this is the case, then the 4-specials site identified earlier will be a great place to build an army and launch an attack. :D

8. duke o' york

You may not be that great at spelling well, but I love your thinking as a military advisor! :goodjob:

I doubt that either other civ is on the same continent but they may be close enought together to start some wars. Smash did say when he introduced the map to us that he had some great starting spots for the AI so I doubt that they were all in a position to beat one another to heck straight away. It is intriguing though, but we can only settle it by even more exploration. Lead on Jayne!

9. GaryNemo

What are the alternatives to a TFalls Entertainer? Any wisdom out there, so I can post a good poll? As for the provinces, I'm thinking the South : RC TFalls Elysium and others, and North: Dellham RiverBend RiverMouth and so on.

And Reneaux? Which province, North or South? Ren, is that your city? Or would you like the name saved for the River Bend?

10. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

On the happiness front:

1.) Reneuax should be OK.

2.) Dellham: Currently has one unit, but can I infer that it will grow before it finishes the settler, and that that will cause unhappiness? Perhaps use the chariot, although as its "only" producing a settler, why not just have an entertainer for the intervening turns?

3.) Elysium: Shouldn't this be OK for a few turns? It has the archer guard, which should mean its happy until it reaches size 3. When is it due to grow? I doubt that moving the archer back to TF is viable, as it would take too long. Plus, we can't afford to leave Elysium unguarded. I suggest that we leave as-is, and make plans for the chariot to return for happiness control.

4.) ThunderFalls: I like Duke's idea about keeping it under size four. How 'bout rushing a warrior (cheap) for happiness control?

5.) Regia Civitas: Shouldn't lose sight of this. How far is it away from reaching size 4? Can it handle "4" without rioting (doubt it...)

Does spending money on luxuries make any difference - proably not in despotism??

It does look like the "filler" city to pump out units for happiness control is getting more and more important. What will the effects of monarchy be?

P.S. perhaps we can bribe barbarians to provide happiness troops, once we get writing?

11. GaryNemo

Thank you, ainwood.

Elysium already has 0 Content, as does TFalls. That is the problem. I think and entertainer and IRPB Settler in TFalls will take care of that. It will cost $8 or $13 a few times, I'll plan that shortly. As for the others, I am praying they also do not become 0 Content. Maybe recall the NW Chariot now, to keep Dellham going.

Elysium will be troubled soon. I think and entertainer at TFalls is the right path, not another Warrior. We need that Settler and Filler! Same idea in Dellham. I'd rather not spend all of our money on one Temple. We can use it $8 and $13 at a time, it's the subtle benefit of Phalanx=20 and Archer=30

I'm an experienced Emperor, but a blithering idiot Deity. I think we need Trade, Hanging Gardens, Filler cities cranking out guards, ASAP. Luxuries seems like a poor choice at this point. What do you Deity players think we should do?

I need to post a poll about TFalls, but I'd like to hear some analysis on what might be good choices...

12. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I think if I was playing on my own I would create an entertainer at TF (or maybe tweak the tax rate- but it maybe we don't have enough income for that), then build a temple next time after the settler. But then again - did you see how low down the GOTM table I was this time? About 34 below Gary!!;)

13. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

If we are going to have 3 defenders in every city than we could easily build a warrior now for happiness but if its only 2 units then we may want to build a phalanx or swap to an entertainer instead because we have plenty of open space for barbs to appear.

14. duke o' york

Well we're going to have to use an entertainer anyway - it all depends on for how long. We can't rushbuy a unit under civil disorder so we'd have to make the entertainer for a single turn at least. The trouble is that the two other cities nearby are engaged in wonder production so they can't lend units to TF. We will basically either have to run with the entertainer for a turn and get a unit or run with it for as long as it takes to build or buy the settler. I prefer getting the settler as soon as possible as we can then return to the situation before the city grew and build another unit before another settler. We'll be ready next time!

15. Dell19

Dell19 Take a break

If it only takes an extra 4 turns then I say build the settler with some rush building and churn out a few units.

16. heliogabalus

heliogabalus Warlord

I cannot check the game at the moment, but if it is only a limited time (4 turns or less) until we get the settler, I am in favour of using the entertainer until then as well.

17. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Deity

We have enough cash to rush a temple BUT that would be a waste!!

18. Leowind

Leowind Emperor

I thought it was next on the queue. Was it not available for some reason? This is very disturbing. I've reviewed the "next turn" thread where I reported and I'm confused why Monarchy was not chosen next:confused:

19. MonkE

MonkE Primate Philosopher

Observations on the "happiness front":

Reneaux grows one more in 9 turns. Next growth 15 more turns. No potential disorder until then unless the chariot leaves.

Growth in 8, settler in 14.

Growth and disorder in 4 turns. :eek: Next growth in 15+(#entertainer turns). It will take the chariot 9 turns to return, 13 turns for the southern legion. Using an entertainer will leave 0 surplus grain and 2 shields of non-wasted production after growth.

Growth in 12+(#entertainer turns), settler in 10. There are already enough shields accumulated to build a warrior.

Growth in 18 turns, wonder in 24 -- not the most urgent concern.

My thinking is similar to GaryNemo's (and some others'). I also am experienced at Emperor, but not Deity. But no matter what level you're on, disorderly cities are a Bad Thing. For the short term, happiness needs to be a priority. Until trade, republic, and happiness wonder(s), we need enough military units while keeping city sizes low (by building settlers if possible).

1. In Dellham, disorder in 8 turns unless we change something. The southern legion could move N then E and return in 8 turns, otherwise use an entertainer for 6 turns (this slows growth but the shield lost is one one that's already wasted). No decision is required until after the move N.

2. I don't see any good alternative to using an entertainer in Elysium for 5 turns before the chariot returns. :sad:

3. In TF, we could use an entertainer for 1 turn. Then build the warrior, and restart the settler. OR, rush build the settler (using almost all of our gold :cringe: ). Since more military is needed in Elysium and RC in 18+ turns, I favor rushing the settler for the filler city so we can build 2 units at once sooner. Keeping TF under size 4 by producing settlers is a great idea.

20. duke o' york

Leo, I think that since we got Warrior Code from the hut then we were unable to choose Monarchy as the next tech. It's very annoying I know, but we have no choice and will just have to keep going.

With regard to my plan to keep TF under size 4 by churning out settlers - this will apply until we can get our hands on the Hanging Gardens, by which time we can either continue to make settlers, or can let the city develop as normal. We will get enough grace from the HG to build a temple where necessary and since we are going towards Mysticism then they will be more useful. :goodjob:
    The planned filler city between our first two will need to get some units out quickly - for its own defence initially, although that needn't be a priority as it will be so close to the others, but also for military police for the others. Some quickly-trained warriors will sort out our problems with the irritating populace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.