Turn timer vs year timer

Imploding

Warlord
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who contributed.. I have been wondering about this for a couple weeks.. Anyways.. here is a complete turn vs year list for Normal speed.
Turns vs Years.JPG

PS. It would still be cool to get some wonder dates.. and lib dates in here.. visualize!

Original post.. and question:

When I play I find it easier to think of turns played over the year. But I mix them up all the time. and I guess I always get sucked into the game at one point.. and the years fly by :crazyeye:. So have never actually develop a solid grasp on the turns vs years on normal.

This I know:

The turn ticker is linear... it increases by one turn every turn. Duh..
The year one.. is nonlinear (actually its somewhat random..) the years fly by in the BC' and slows down in the AD's.

At what points does the turn timer decreases in the years?

I know that 2000 BC is turn 50 = 50 x 40 = 2000 years.. so the first 50 turns, 1 turn = 40 years.
Then what? I can't really remember any other solid points.. :mischief:

It would really help me understand the timings better.. so gratefull to anyone who can clarify this :). Maybe even give some input on.. important timing.. like tech and wonders.

BTW. Anyone have to complete list with Turn vs Year on Normal? would be really helpfull! :)

Last edited:
Date Years in turn Number of Turns Turn number
-4000 40,00 75 0
-1000 25,00 60 75
500 20,00 25 135
1000 10,00 50 160
1500 5,00 60 210
1800 2,00 50 270
1900 1,00 120 320
2020 0,50 60 440
2050 0,50 500

Sorry, I suck at formatting tables here.

There is a culture calculator around showing this clearly (spreadsheet). Also for other speeds.

Its all inside game XML for every speed (don't want to make math, sorry :D ) :)
Normal speed
75 turns by 40 years
60 turns by 25 years
25 turns by 20 years
50 turns by 10 years
60 turns by 5 years
50 turns by 2 years <<< Ooopss, missed that line in code
120 turns by 1 year
60 turns by 6 months :D
Spoiler :

<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>480</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>75</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>300</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>60</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>240</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>25</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>50</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>120</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>

Marathon speed
100 turns by 15 years
300 turns by 10 years
170 turns by 5 years
201 turn by 2 years
129 turns by 1 year
180 turns by 6 months
264 turns by 3 months
156 turns by 1 month
Spoiler :

<GameTurnInfos>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>180</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>100</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>120</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>300</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>60</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>170</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>24</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>201</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>12</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>129</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>6</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>180</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>3</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>264</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
<GameTurnInfo>
<iMonthIncrement>1</iMonthIncrement>
<iTurnsPerIncrement>156</iTurnsPerIncrement>
</GameTurnInfo>
</GameTurnInfos>

Last edited:
funny but almost all games (except Space Race) ends during 2 years/turn period. And that is with No Tech Trading option :D
I'd argue that on Marathon you can finish ALL games (including space in most cases) before the end of the 5ypt period, because warring is just so cheap. ;)
Oh and I'll definitely have to play a Huge/Marathon game someday, because there's definitely something to be learned from there, especially concerning empire management. But I'm just so scared of the amount of time it will take (my Stan/Terra/Norm space race already took almost fifty hours :undecide:)

:eek::eek::eek: How can you play late game marathon?
Try a huge marathon map and maximize your score for a time victory. The last 156 turns it literally becomes a Real-Time strategy game. :lol:

I've never dared to take on a marathon space game. The thought of it is already too daunting. Marathon conquest games are kind of silly, but they can also teach you a lot about warfare.

I did just play my first ever quick speed space game. Quick speed is a weird beast, would be interesting to delve into that a bit more. There's not much written about it in S&T, I think, and it really requires some completely different tactics than standard speed.

Try a huge marathon map and maximize your score for a time victory. The last 156 turns it literally becomes a Real-Time strategy game. :lol:
Hummm no thanks :D. Only curiosity is: can you have max sushi food (+65:food: on some maps) and still avoid STRIKE?

I've never dared to take on a marathon space game.
For now that's on my to-do list, but certainly not in the near future. I'll probably get caught by life and will never play one, though...

However I'm very interested in playing quick speed games aswell. I'll definitely play some of these (and marathon/epic) after I'm done with my 52 normal speed games :D.

I'd argue that on Marathon you can finish ALL games (including space in most cases) before the end of the 5ypt period
I'm trying :D but with NTT option - it really slows down everything (in good and bad way). Can't bribe AI into war with some useless tech.. Lib-route bulbs lose its value (well, bulbing Astro still is strong, if not going for Bureau.. hardest decision to go or not because that ruin bulb), Cannons+Grenadiers without Edu now are better. Even Monarchy route now costs something and have to decide if can or not go for it.
Many games can have land for 12-16 cities BC REX (research slider <20%), recovery phase (50% is good), bee-line to Astro (Archip-Archip map type, offers most of randomness and fair-play can get with 17 AI.. few will get crap land but atleast 10 powerful AI to fight later... atleast 3 religion blocks.. and atleast 1 runaway AI). Just the way I love this game :D
But true - it takes time :D
Note about Space Race - it was so funny to see during PAlliance Space Race how fast AI can finish Space Ship parts :D (cost was 2/3 of human cost :D )

Great stuff @elmurcis and @Major_Tom

Now i finally understand why I never have got agood grasp on the turns vs years timer.. when it changes in such a strange way! like every 75 turn.. then 60.. then 25! :crazyeye:

Its all inside game XML for every speed (don't want to make math, sorry :D ) :)

Well.. I do excel.. :)
Does this look right to you guys? Not sure if I recognize all the dates.. so maybe some errors.. can anyone spot?
Tursn vs years.JPG

When I'm finished with this I'm going to hang it on the wall!

@Imploding yup that's completely wrong :p

Turn 0 = 4000 BC
Turn 50 = 2000 BC
Turn 75 = 1000 BC
Turn 135 = 500 AD
Turn 160 = 1000 AD
Turn 210 = 1500 AD
Turn 270 = 1800 AD
Turn 320 = 1900 AD

After that I'm lost, but the game is over anyway ;)

T0 = 4000 BC ah.. ofc..
Fixing a systematical error..
Now it seems much better and I can recognizance some dates and turns! Hurray!

Thx for the turn check @Pedro78 great stuff!
What about now?

Only thing tho.. Turn 320 = 1900 AD ? Sure about that? I reread @elmurcis comment.. and saw the 2 years turns.. making a new image now!
Tursn vs years.JPG

Last edited:
Was sure about 4000 BC=T0, wasn't sure about dates (I'm not Normal, if you know what I mean :D )

Edit: change in code post! Extra 50 turns by 2 years, makes 1850 into 1900 :)

Only thing tho.. Turn 320 = 1900 AD ? Sure about that?
Yup 100% sure, your sheet is still wrong ;)

After T270 it is 2 years per turn until T320 = 1900 AD

And then it's 1 year per turn until T440 = 2020 AD

Then it's 6 months per turn for the last 60 turns (until jan. 2050 AD)

Table is a bit off. I only noticed since I play with all three of the timer markers (turn #, date, and % completion) and usually only pay attention to completion benchmarks in my head to judge my progress. For instance, I always try to complete games before 50% mark just as a general goal, though this is quite the tall order for space or UN.

For Normal speed:
Year 4000 is Turn 0, as previously mentioned.
Year 375BC is turn 100 (the 20% mark)
Year 1700AD is turn 250 (the 50% mark).
Year 1913 is Turn 333 (the 2/3 mark).

Not sure exactly what the cause of deviation is since turn 250 is 8 (!) increments off.

Top Bottom