Turn Times...

MickyKitsu

Chieftain
I heard somewhere that the BtS expansion included some sort of fix for the abysmally slow turn times in Civ4...

Reckon said fix could be found, and used in Civ 4 Vanilla or Warlords on the mac?

If there is such a fix then it would involve a change in the way the system does its AI calculations, and/or the autosave process, and/or the way it redraws the map during the AI moves. Those are the activities that take time between turns.

None of those can be modified in Python, which only drives the user interface, so there's very little chance that such a fix could be done outside of Aspyr's development team. The only one that you can influence yourself is the frequency of autosaves, which is defined in the ~/Documents/Civilization 4/<Warlords>/CivilizationIV.ini text file, but I suspect that isn't a significant contributor.

I think the main thing that changed was that a lot of the Python code that used to always run gets skipped if it can be. This is done higher up in the code than we have access to on the Mac side of things. And it was just done for BTS on the PC side, I don't think anyone has done it for Warlords or Vanilla, which would make it very unlikely that it would happen for those versions on the Mac side.

I tried to use an old Vanilla save that I have used for a benchmark and run it in BTS to see if I see the difference, but there were plenty of weird things that happened when I did that so it didn't work as a benchmark.

Top Bottom