TurnCast Episode 24: "Not Mutually Exclusive"

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by DanQ, Oct 6, 2012.

1. DanQ

DanQ Owner, Civilized Communication

Yet always inclusive. Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Michael "emeseles" Lucas-Smith, Makahlua and Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew are accompanied by fellow co-operative Civilization IV/V multiplayer players on TurnCast (TC). Its twenty-second episode, "Not Mutally Exclusive", is now netcasting, it has a runtime of 09m59s.

TurnCast is the third spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast on which Quick, Makahlua and Bellew serve as regular co-hosts; the modding-centric ModCast was the first, and the console-centric RevCast the second, such spin-off. The fourth spin-off, SCivCast, covers Civ on social media.

2. romcom2000

romcom2000 Chieftain

What is this?

Cool idea to create a podcast about civ 5 multiplayer - it's a rich community, lots of dedicated players, new techniques evolving all the time ... but this is just a stream of consciousness recording of inane teamspeak chatter.

tldr; was hoping for content, disappointed

3. DanQ

As is stated at the outset of each episode, it is "snippets" of a number co-op CivIV and CivV MP games. This is a bit of a niche show to PolyCast, in the sense that knowing little to nothing about the personalities of the players will affect your understanding of and perspective on what you are hearing. As such, this show has the potential to interest you considering or little-to-not-at-all.

Though you're not interested in tuning in further, your giving it a chance is appreciated.

4. Tatran

Tatran Deity

Sorry Dan, but I've to agree with romcom2000.
    Maybe, if you can turn it into a "let's play MP civ" video, it would be more enjoyable.

5. DanQ

No worries; TurnCast is not intended to be a "let's play" video or a "let's play" otherwise. The primary reason for this is the production efforts involved, post in particular; secondarily, there are existing "Let's Play" series online for Civ though admittedly few are or have been focused on multiplayer to date.

I, as well as the other regular players on TC, recognize that given its structure its audience is apt to be smaller than that for PolyCast (and access statistics support this). If you're a listener of one or more of the PolyCast family of Civ podcasts, it's all :).

6. dasnowflake

dasnowflake Chieftain

You dont even explain what the hell the podcast is in the op

why would anyone listen to it?

7. DanQ

The opening post links to the TurnCast (TC) website, which includes an 'About' page. Further, in short taken from the opening seconds of each episode, TC episodes comprise "moments from the Polycast co-operative Civilization multiplayer experience".

8. romcom2000

romcom2000 Chieftain

I think what Dan's trying to say in all this is that he doesn't care that no one would be interested ... the podcast is only meant to be of interest to people who directly know the people in the podcast - their friends.

I guess as long as someone is enjoying your work and you're having fun making it, right on.

Seems that there's some (limited) demand for a multiplayer podcast aimed at the broader civ v multiplayer community. But I bet that won't be made until a working, polished pitboss FINALLY emerges and civ v gets an influx of new players. It's just too small now.

9. Sullla

Sullla Patrician Roman Dictator

I mean no offense, but if this podcast is nothing more than recorded snippets of you and your friends playing Multiplayer... why in the world is it getting front page coverage at CivFanatics? That's not exactly breaking news.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

Moderator Action: Constructive, please!

11. DanQ

I don't feel you need to know the players who you are hearing in these snippets, in the sense that you are a friend or an acquaintance of or more of them, but yes knowing of those players beyond their being on TurnCast itself -- for example, through PolyCast -- increases the likelihood that TC will be of interest and enjoyment to you. That is the target audience, as these snippets are more informal than segments on PolyCast. (Though by no means am I claiming that PolyCast is "formal"! :lol:)

By means of comparison, those who do not play or are otherwise interested in Civilization: Revolution are unlikely to find RevCast of interest and enjoyment. To those that are interested, even if it's just to 'try', there are threads here on the front page of CivFanatics and some other major Civ fansites noting the availability of another production in a given series of podcasts.

As for a multiplayer podcast aimed at, towards as romcom2000 put it, the broader Civ community my view at present is that that purpose would be better served through an existing or new "Let's Play" series or at the very least otherwise included video. Before TurnCast emerged in the format it is in at present, a comparable audio-only "Let's Play" format was tested too prior to public consumption. For those involved in the effort, it was felt that even as post-production proved satisfactory the lack of a visual element detracted too much from the audience being able to immerse themselves in it... and that included those that were involved in the game being heard! Given discussion to date in this thread, however, it may be time to release that in the near future for community feedback.