Turning off the Joined Wars?

durfal

The Dutch Daredevil
I basically want to rage quit every game because of these endless double war declarations. Mostly one is your enemy (or has at least a reason) and I have no problem with them declaring war at me, but they always seem to be able to drag (what seems) a random civ with them who can be your friend (and has no reason at all to declare war at you) or someone on a far away continent who can't even reach you. Even if that enemy has an ally themselves (which would make some sense if they joined the war), thats not the civ that co-joins the war.
For example I had a declared friendship with another civ (so they won't declare war) but it has to be renewed every 20 turns or so. I had such a relation with a civ for 100's of years and I was thinking to make them my ally (normally I won't do that). Then in the the turn it had to be renewed they fall back too only being friend for one turn, before it can be renewed. Another civ declares war on me and drags my very good friend suddenly with them in that war even though they (my friend) were unfriendly with that civ.

There has to be something in the files that triggers this behavior that a civ always seems to agree to a joined war when another civ asks even if it is your friend or even one they themselves are unfriendly with.
I have tried to look for it myself but I'm not that great in reading these xml or lua files and I don't seem to be able to figure it out where in the files I can adjust this behavior.
So if anyone knows where this is stored and how to adjust it I would be grateful.
Or how make to make the whole joined war impossible if that is easier.

After searching in the files again I found "DiplomaticActions.xml" (Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data). It gives the possibility for diplomatic actions for each state your in (war/denounced/unfriendly/neutral/friendly/declared friend/allied) and joined war is possible to suggest from neutral (apparently they could have not been unfriendly, but inner ai civ relations are hard to figure out) up for both player and ai civ and if an ai civ is allowed to perform that specific action. I put all the joined war diplomatic actions for the ai civ from neutral until declared friend to not allowed. Only kept it allowed for allies, for which it seems fair.
Gonna try a new game to check if this did the trick.

Edit:
OK I'm half way though a game and this works perfectly. No double war declarations in the game I played for non-allies. Only one "normal" declaration of one civ and one double for two allies which I allowed in the above mentioned file .
First of all before editing the files always make a back up in case something goes wrong!!!!!
I used the following lines and edited (AiAllowed="false") before the closure of the sentence (/>)
Original line:
<Row StateType="DIPLO_STATE_DECLARED_FRIEND" DiplomaticActionType="DIPLOACTION_JOINT_WAR" Worth="0" Cost="0"/>
And changed it into:
<Row StateType="DIPLO_STATE_DECLARED_FRIEND" DiplomaticActionType="DIPLOACTION_JOINT_WAR" Worth="0" Cost="0" AiAllowed="false"/>

Do the same to:
<Row StateType="DIPLO_STATE_FRIENDLY" DiplomaticActionType="DIPLOACTION_JOINT_WAR" Worth="0" Cost="0"/>
and:
<Row StateType="DIPLO_STATE_NEUTRAL" DiplomaticActionType="DIPLOACTION_JOINT_WAR" Worth="0" Cost="0"/>

And that worked for me.

Last edited:
After finishing a game with the above changes I think there is something more happening in the background then this file alone.
First of all the diplomacy went perfectly as stated above in the files and I didn't get a double declaration of war, but apparently it was planned (and it seems hard-coded) by the ai.

As usual it was the declared friend and neighbor, or in my case, our ally status had to be renewed so he falls back to only being friends and in that turn a much smaller and technological backwards civ (in this case Australia) who only had a very small accumulated -1 (per turn) dislike of me because of different governments declared war on me and I was more of a "so what" until after that declaration my ally who's friendship had to be renewed (in this case Pedro/Brazil) immediate showed up but he didn't declare war but wanted to renew the declaration of friendship (even if he still was the ally of Australia too apparently), so I thought everything was fine. The next turn I see the whole Brazilian army coming in my direction, could be for me his declared friend (which would be very strange) or a city-state next to my territory.
To be certain I went in to the diplo screen to renew our ally status and he all to willingly accepted that.
So everything Honky-Dory I thought, but I was wrong, cause even though we were allies (and stayed that way) in the diplomatic screen and even ally flagged on the character portrait in the right upper-corner, he suddenly started to attack my cities. The AI acted like we were at war but according to the diplomatic screen we weren't.
It went even more insane that after a few turns into this invisible war, Pedro came to me to have a research pact with his good friend (me) and this while I was fighting off his army and going for his cities.
And because we were allies according the diplomacy screen we couldn't make peace either, but I could ask him to cede his cities that I was occupying (which he didn't), so the war dragged on and I had to start taking over his cities so when our "friendship" had to be renewed again, in the relationship-status our plusses of being allies and good relations started to get drowned by the negatives of me occupying his cities. The war ended with me destroying or taking over all his cites and even then we were officially only neutral with each other. This also made me a warmonger with all the other civs except Macedon cause Alex liked me fighting more and more.

So I conclude that with changing this file, the diplomacy alone is doing what I want it to do, but apparently if the AI wants to go to war it still picks two civs and goes to war with you, even if the xml-file forbade it and the diplo screen screen said so, you still are at war.
This looks to me like something hardcoded into the game. Like there will be a joint declaration of war no matter what (???), which is insane in my opinion.

If anybody has a brighter idea than me, to just adjusting the "DiplomaticActions.xml" file to undo this Joined War declaration, I'm happy to listen.

Top Bottom