Turnlog to BBCode Spreadsheet

Puppeteer

Emperor
Here ya go. Type a turnlog into this spreadsheet. Switch to the next tab and copy the forum-formatted text, then paste it into the forum to show off your mad Civ3 skills to the world in effortless color:

• 4000 BC, turn 0: Found Rome Settle in place. Worker to BG.
  • 3950 BC, turn 1: Worker mine
  • 3800 BC, turn 4: Rome warrior -> warrior
  • 3700 BC, turn 6: Finish mine, start road
  • 3650 BC, turn 7: Meet Germany Warrior spots blue archer. Contact Bismark, no good trades available.
  • 3600 BC, turn 8: CB from hut
  • 3450 BC, turn 11: Suggested Use: RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.
  • 3400 BC, turn 12: Suggested Use: My use for BlueLog is new techs.
  • 3350 BC, turn 13: Suggested Use: GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.
  • 3300 BC, turn 14: BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.
  • 3100 BC, turn 18: The output will automatically skip empty turns.
  • 2900 BC, turn 22: Veii
This is the Google Docs link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YEvICKEOJX39B2egDozWhyxow0cJGX14p080eNZAG1w/edit?usp=sharing . Use File -> Make a Copy to copy it into your Google Docs.

I attached an Excel file that does the same thing, except you click a button to copy the code to the clipboard. It has two formats. Here is the list format:

4000 BC, turn 0: Found Rome Settle in place. Worker to BG.

3950 BC, turn 1: Worker mine

3800 BC, turn 4: Rome warrior -> warrior

3700 BC, turn 6: Finish mine, start road

3650 BC, turn 7: Meet Germany Warrior spots blue archer. Contact Bismark, no good trades available.

3600 BC, turn 8: CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11: Suggested Use: RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.

3400 BC, turn 12: Suggested Use: My use for BlueLog is new techs.

3350 BC, turn 13: Suggested Use: GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.

3300 BC, turn 14: BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.

3100 BC, turn 18: The output will automatically skip empty turns.

2900 BC, turn 22: Veii

Here is the paragraph format:
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
Settle in place. Worker to BG.
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
Warrior spots blue archer. Contact Bismark, no good trades available.
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
My use for BlueLog is new techs.
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.
3300 BC, turn 14:
BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.
3100 BC, turn 18:
The output will automatically skip empty turns.
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

Attachments

• BBCodeTurnlog.png
    BBCodeTurnlog.png
    64.2 KB · Views: 169
  • BBCodeOutput.png
    BBCodeOutput.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 176
  • C3C-Turnlog-To-BBCode.zip
    36.4 KB · Views: 215
I accessed the spreadsheet as a different user and made a copy (so that user has its own editable copy). The good news is that the export script ( exportBbCode() ) still works, but I have to delete and re-enter the forumla =exportBbCode() into BBCodeLog!A1 .

• Turn 0, 4000 BC: Found capital Worker stuff, yay.
  • Turn 1, 3950 BC: Pop WC from hut Scouting, neat stuff
  • Turn 12, 3400 BC: CB, Pottery Meet a scary civ, trade techs
  • Turn 15, 3250 BC: Made a copy Does BBCode update?
  • Turn 22, 2900 BC: Found second city

Update: Ok, it looks like this is a common problem; the script parameters don't change, so the script doesn't rerun or returns cached results. I'll have to figure out some magic; maybe I'll count the non-null cells and pass that as a parameter, so whenever a new cell is used the parameter changes.

Update: God I love the Internet. I just added an unneeded parameter that updates when you add a new log entry, and that triggers the export code script. You should be able to make a copy into your own Google Drive and use it and it will auto-update the BBCodeLog when you type new info in LogEntry.

The overwhelming immediate feedback :shifty: has given me ideas for some changes.

I'd like more columns available for other things. If red is city placement and blue is tech acquisition, it would be nice to have other colums for worker actions, trades, new contacts, combat results, and slider moves in case the the player cared to break it down that far. But I don't want a crapload of columns in the way for players who want the easy formatting but don't to break it down so much. Of course the user could manually hide columns, but I think I can make it easier with checkboxes at the top to hide or show columns based on whether or not the box is checked.

My color coding for the first version was inspired by vmxa's turnlogs. But I now notice he--like me--can be very wordy and use multiple paragraphs in a turn. The spreadsheet interface gets a little clunky for long paragraphs and very clunky for multiple paragraphs in a turn, but I don't have an immediate thought on how to remedy that in a spreadsheet. I may have to make it a web application with collapsible turns and one big editor window to really get around that problem, and that may be interesting but I think I want to improve the spreadsheet first.

I'm also thinking about multiple output options. BBCode (for the forum), HTML snippet and Markdown seem to be nice format options. Do I have any reason to generate a whole HTML page? Eh, why not, easy enough to do and can make it an option. I might also offer the list layout like I have now or the line spacing like in vmxa's logs.

Hmm, HTML might actually have some complications. A page is easy, but if I am making a snippet then I'll have to be sure the color coding markup will work in whatever environment the snippet would be posted into. Maybe I'd better hold off on the HTML snippet until I have an idea where the snippet might be pasted/posted.

Also, I think I'll make the turn/date part bold black and save green for a log column.

I've been following, Puppeteer and it looks great so far. I think you're on the right path as far as keeping the columns limited so that only the crucial info is there up front. Contacts and trades would be good, but improvements and slider changes may just be too much. Your example log here does a clear job of telling when you made adjustments at the crucial times, not on a turn-by-turn basis.

Thanks! The feedback is much appreciated. And I agree, simpler is better to read, and simpler is probably easier to use, too.

I think I'll make one more column, GreenLog, and make the turn title bold black. My use--and my suggested use for others--would be red for cities, blue for tech, and green for anything else that you want highlighted for that turn. I tend to mention my early scouting and worker actions then later don't report them unless it's particularly impactful. Ah, there we go, green is for "impact", and depending on what's happening in the game that might be early game scouting and worker actions, combat results, a trading frenzy, a wonder, etc.. But I'll leave it as "RedLog", "BlueLog", "GreeLog" and "BlackLog" and the player/user can put whatever they want in there.

Also, I think I need to stay focused on the original point: an easy-to-use turnlog that looks good and is skim-able when posted to CivFan. I don't need to go adding other export formats unless people start using it and desire those features.

Here is the result of the changes:

• Turn 0, 4000 BC: Found Rome Worker to BG Settle in place
  • Turn 1, 3950 BC: Worker mine
  • Turn 4, 3800 BC: Rome warrior -> warrior
  • Turn 6, 3700 BC: Finish mine, start road
  • Turn 8, 3600 BC: CB from hut
  • Turn 10, 3500 BC: New cities New techs Impactful Events Suggested use: RedLog for new cities and perhaps lost cities, BlueLog for new techs, and GreenLog for anything else you want to highlight for that turn. In the early game, worker actions and scouting can be particularly impactful. New contact with a civ, a trade of interest, combat results or a new wonder might be good to put in GreenLog.
  • Turn 11, 3450 BC: The output will automatically skip empty turns.
  • Turn 22, 2900 BC: Veii

I'm not sure I like the bolded turn titles. I'll adapt my recent turnlog into this format and try it with both bolded and unbolded.

Extended turnlog in various formats. I very quickly learned that color needs to be used sparingly otherwise it no longer stands out. I originally tried putting worker actions and other stuff in green, but then it just became an unskimmable jumble of mixed-color words.

Same format as last post:
Spoiler :
  • Turn 0, 4000 BC: Karakorum Locate nearby Gems Scout 2W, see diamonds...yay, I do have a lux! Worker SW. Settle in place -> Scout. "Discover" deer forest 2N just outside city borders. Put citizen on to-be-improved tile, research Alphabet at minimum.
  • Turn 1, 3950 BC: Maps from hut. Start mine. Scout S, spots hut and more diamonds and volcano, W to bust hut, get maps. Notice my starting area is skinny and narrowing to S.
  • Turn 2, 3900 BC: Scout SE, S to hill. Find sugar and another patch of fresh water lake.
  • Turn 3, 3850 BC: Scout SE, S.
  • Turn 4, 3800 BC: Scout S, SW to hill, find only coastline to my S. Hmmm, I'm close to the north end of map. "Beginning to wonder" if my start is isolated.
  • Turn 5, 3750 BC: Karakorum scout -> archer. (Projecting less/no shield waste with a 20s build at this time.) Rename first scout Penny, new scout Groat. Penny NE,NE. Groat N,N to deer.
  • Turn 6, 3700 BC: Groat N, NW, spots more diamonds and a hut. Penny NE,N, spots fish.
  • Turn 7, 3650 BC: 25g from hut Worker mine -> road. Penny 2NE, reveals whats SE of capital. Groat 2NW, busts hut, gets 25g, finds narrow part of land and tundra to N. "Start to get concerned" that my starting area has room for 6-8 good cities and I might be isolated or have a poor land path to the rest of the world.
  • Turn 8, 3600 BC: Penny E, N across far side of lake. She needs to see if there's a land bridge in the fog to the NE. Groat N, N, spots coast. "Uh-oh, am I on an island?"
  • Turn 9, 3550 BC: Penny 2NE, finds fish and coast. Groat N, W. Really looking like an island, only possibilities are fogged land bridges and maybe NW tundra connection.
  • Turn 10, 3500 BC: Borders expand Karakorum size 2, borders expand. Penny NE, W (peer 2 tiles into ocean, start heading to W coast to unfog it). Groat 2SW. Pause to overthink next worker action. Ok, still going for the deer next. Worker completes road, moves NE, N towards deer. Check Karakorum, move new citizen to lake, +2 commerce and still archer due in 2. Decide it's time to hit the panic button and beeline for Map Making. Research to 100%, formely Alpha in 40, now Alpha in 19.
  • Turn 11, 3450 BC: Worker starts road. Penny 2W. Groat W, SW, finds tundra coastline. Almost definitely an island. Starting to overthink my city placement, but I have at least another three turns before the worker finishes the road and I have to make a decision affecting the next city placement/improvement.
  • Turn 12, 3400 BC: Karakorum Archer -> Settler. Penny W, NW. Groat heading back E to unfog the NE part of the presumed island. Mil advisor mentions no barbs, but Archer has nothing better to do than wait for the setter. Archer fortifies.
  • Turn 13, 3350 BC: Penny N,W. Groat 2E. I can see all the coasts, I am nearly definitely on an island. Will send the scouts to look for hidden land bridges, but safe to bet on an isolated island start now.
  • Turn 14, 3300 BC: Worker completes road. Groat E to unfog NE coast. Penny E,S and needs 2 or three more turns to unfog the last fogged coast tile, but it doesn't look like a land bridge to me. So I spend a bunch of time plannig city placement with consideration that likely nobody will be invading me for nearly two ages, I'm stuck self-researching until suicide boats meet others, but at some time in the future I'll have to build and launch an invation fleet and force. ... Move worker N to forest deer.
  • Turn 15, 3250 BC: Worker starts roading forest deer tile (timing of setterl build, deer chop, etc. taken into account)
  • Turn 16, 3200 BC: Penny unfogs last coast tile. We're a Lonely Island. (I love that band!) The scouts' jobs are now to unfog two tiles into the sea everywhere possible. OOPS! I still had the citizen working the lake, and I'm not going to complete the settler at next growth! D'oh! Move citizen, will finish the settler one turn after size 3.
  • Turn 20, 3000 BC: Karakorum -> size 3. Move 2 citizens to lake, will still complete settler next turn. Penny spots possible coastal water to the W of the diamond/volcano/lake coast. That will be the first target for a curragh, and if it is indeed coast a curragh will reach it without risking sinking.
  • Turn 21, 2950 BC: Most advanced: last place I am last in the ranking of most advanced tech civs. Karakorum settler -> granary. (What else to build? I'll sell it after I hit size 7 and then join workers from my high-food city to reach size 12.) Worker completes road, so settler N, N, W into its city spot. Worker S, starts irrigation. I have 5 units this turn, and it will cost me 1g, but I have some gold in the bank so I don't have to slow research, and this problem will be solved next turn when I make a new city. Check military advisor, no mention of barb camps yet.
  • Turn 22, 2900 BC: Ta-Tu Ta-Tu -> granary. Scouts have done all they can, but they're not costing anything, so Penny will sit and watch the coast tile to the SW, and I'll find a spot for Groat to watch for ships or barbs.
  • Turn 23, 2850 BC: The people want to expand my palace? For being stuck on an island and being last in tech? Or maybe in Regent a new city is reason to celebrate.
  • Turn 25, 2750 BC: Worker irrigation -> N and starts chopping deer. Move the archer to Ta-Tu, figure he'll be needed there sooner.
  • Turn 29, 2590 BC: Worker completes chop, starts irrigation. MM Ta-Tu, but nothing really to be done because growth in 2.
  • Turn 30, 2550 BC: Alphabet Writing at 100% (est 32 turns). Karakorum size 2.
  • Turn 31, 2510 BC: Ta-Tu size 2. Not in the mood for projecting with spreadsheets, going for growth before granary completion.
  • Turn 33, 2430 BC: Worker completes irrigation, moves to chop forest for Ta-Tu's granary.
  • Turn 34, 2390 BC: Worker starts chop.
  • Turn 35, 2350 BC: Mil advisor: tribes near Ta-Tu. Between city borders and scout placement I can see that my worker is not in a dangerous spot.
  • Turn 36, 2310 BC: Barb war threatens Groat. Groat 1S then passes (to keep barb hill in sight). Ta-Tu will need happiness starting next turn, so I keep archer there for now.
  • Turn 37, 2270 BC: Barb war fortifies on hill. Guess it's still the barb grace period. Ta-Tu size 3.
  • Turn 38, 2230 BC: Barb wandered off NE! Karakorum granary -> warrior as I need some MP and barb defense soon. I considered working the lake tiles, but no I need some shields for military now. Worker completes forest chop, starts road. I'm -1gpt but have 55g in bank.
  • Turn 39, 2190 BC: Ta-Tu granary -> worker. Yeah, I need settlers, but I also need to start getting this land improved quickly.
  • Turn 40, 2150 BC: Karakorum size 3. Have to raise lux to 20%.
  • Turn 41, 2110 BC: Karakorum warrior -> warrior. Worker completes road, moves NW to BG tile. Lux to 0, research back to 100%.
  • Turn 42, 2070 BC: Ta-Tu worker -> settler. Worker NW to BG. Worker starts mine.
  • Turn 43, 2030 BC: Karakorum warrior -> warrior. Warrior to Ta-Tu due to grow soon. Will need another MP in two turns, so leave Karakorum at 5spt. I'm off to a slower early start than I wanted, but things are about to explode. MM Ta-Tu for some extra shields, same growth target.
  • Turn 44, 1990 BC: Karakorum and Ta-Tu size 4. Karakorum warrior -> archer. Put two Karakorum citizens on the lake, go from 4cpt to 8cpt in Karakorum.
  • Turn 46, 1910 BC: Barb war shows up on the hill again.
  • Turn 47, 1870 BC: Barb war fortifies. It's the barbarian touring show troupe I guess. MM Ta-Tu.
  • Turn 48, 1830 BC: Ta-Tu size 5. Barb war advances to threaten Groat and approach workers; the grace period is over. Worker mine -> road. Move Ta-Tu's archer and warrior N to intercept barb and protect workers. Move Groat NE, N to mountain to peek at other barbs and perhaps lure this barb away from workers. Move Karakorum warriors to Ta-Tu for MP, raise lux to 20% to get everyone happy enough.
  • Turn 49, 1790 BC: Barb moves E between my military and Groat. Ta-Tu settler -> settler. Worker completes mine, starts road. Reg archer attacks barb war, wins unhurt. Resdistribute warriors for MP, lux to 0 and research to 100%. Settler towards two-fish site NE of capital. Groat W, can see barb camp 2 tiles NW of hill.
  • Turn 50, 1750 BC: Penny sees barb camp spawn to the SW of capital, on hill by lake. Karakorum archer -> warrior. (Captial can do 2-turn warriors while working both lake tiles, and I want some more MP and barb fodder.) Settler E to city spot. Lux to 10% for Karakorum.
  • Turn 51, 1725 BC: Kazan Ta-Tu size 4. Found Kazan -> curragh. Put citizen on fish and will complete the curragh with a forest chop. Archer towards barb camp.
  • Turn 52, 1700 BC: Barb attacks archer on hill, dies with nothing to show for it. Karakorum warrior -> archer. Archer moves next to camp. Worker completes mine, moves towards captial to road up some tiles. Capital archer starts SW to deal with that camp.
  • Turn 53, 1675 BC: Take out barb camp with no damage. Workers start road, chop.
  • Turn 54, 1650 BC: South archer swats a barb.
  • Turn 55, 1625 BC: Writing Writing -> Map Making (est 21 turns). Ta-Tu grows, makes settler -> worker. Karakorum size 6. Lux to 20%.
  • Turn 56, 1600 BC: Karakorum archer -> archer. S archer attacks barb camp on hill, wins unhurt, promotes to veteran. 1 barb remains in camp.
  • Turn 57, 1575 BC: Chopped forest completes Kazan curragh -> curragh. Archer wipes out barb camp, mil advisor reports no tribes. Curragh begins trip towards the mystery coastal tile.
  • Turn 58, 1550 BC: Ta-Tu worker -> settler.
  • Turn 59, 1525 BC: Almarikh Found Almarikh 3W of capital -> curragh. I've been running a deficit of of up to 4gpt; the city brings unit support up enough to cover my units. I'm still paying 2gpt for the granaries but taking the barb camps is funding those costs. I've been researching max (minux luxury needs) since turn 10.
  • Turn 60, 1500 BC: Karakorum size 7. Karkorum archer -> archer. Karakorum culture expands to level 3. Sell Karakorum granary. Lux to 30%. Move new citizen off of unroaded BG to roaded grassland for an extra commerce and still have 5spt.
  • Turn 61, 1475 BC: Kazan size 2. Start thinking about a granary prebuild for GLH. I should put it in the city to be placed south of the capital. I really should have placed the last settler there, but at the time the western spot was appealing because it added some lands for the food city.
  • Turn 64, 1400 BC: Karakorum archer -> archer. Ta-Tu grows, settler. MM Kazan to work both fish. Curragh nearly to crossing point, spots another coast (water) tile.
  • Turn 65, 1375 BC: New landmass Curragh spots land to W, can get to it without risking sinking!
  • Turn 66, 1350 BC: Tabriz Barb camp w/2 warriors spawns next to Groat, just in tundra. Curragh makes the crossing, finds what might be a 1-tile hill island. Found Tabriz -> granary as prebuild for GLH.
  • Turn 67, 1325 BC: Barb advances to hill. Ta-Tu size 4, MM it. Archer kills him uhurt. Almarikh curragh -> curragh. Curragh move around little island, it is a 3-tile island, one hill and two plains tiles, one with wheat. :-| .
  • Turn 68, 1300 BC: New landmass Almarikh size 2. Karakorum archer -> archer. Kazan curragh -> curragh. Archer wipes out barb camp, hurt to 2/3. First curragh spots more land on the other side of the island. Other curraghs will head that way.
  • Turn 70, 1250 BC: Ta-Tu settler -> settler. Change Almarikh to granary as galley prebuild.
  • Turn 71, 1225 BC: Kazan size 3. An archer takes over Groat's watch, Groat and Penny will move to whever my galleys will be built (Map Making due in 4),
  • Turn 72, 1200 BC: New landmass Tribes reported near Ta-Tu. I have two curraghs by the larger island, it's about 20 tiles, but there is another landmass beyond!
  • Turn 74, 1150 BC: Map Making Map Making! Decide to go for Republic slingshot, CoL at max available. Karakorum size 8. Change builds to galleys and GLH.
  • Turn 75, 1125 BC: Ulaanbaatar Karakorum size 8. Found Ulaanbaatar whose main purpose is to capture the fish tile for Tabriz and claim the area from the barbs. I don't expect much from it. Set to harbor. Lead curragh finds that the third other island is small, about 5 jungle tiles with jungle and marsh. No fresh water on these isles. Well, I reached Map Making, stop for a strategy reformulation.
  • Turn 76, 1100 BC: Tabriz size 2. Ta-Tu settler -> settler. I had just decided to start on workers, but I really need to place two more settlers to capture a couple of good tiles; placing this one settler alone is a bit of a waste for now.
  • Turn 78, 1050 BC: Hovd Tundra archer battle: reg archer wipes out barb, promotes to 4/4. Found Hovd -> worker. First curragh takes suicide stab S, spots edge of coastal tiles to SW.
  • Turn 79, 1025 BC: New landmass Almarikh size 3. Ta-Tu size 4. Curragh lives! Finds land, but is in danger again of sinking. MM Ta-Tu.
  • Turn 80, 1000 BC: Spot a barb horse in the tundra. Vet archer wipes out barb camp, ends up next to horse. 2nd curragh makes a suicide run behind the first.
  • Turn 81, 975 BC: Kazan size 3. Vet archer attacks barb horse, wins, promotes to 4/5. 2nd curragh lives, takes the next two steps, still in danger.
  • Turn 82, 950 BC: Livy says I'm the third largest civ behind the Russians and Zulu. The curragh sinks. Civ crashes. D'oh! Load from autosave, replay last turn, got same visible results. Ta-Tu settler -> worker. Almarikh galley -> galley. Load Groat and an archer into the galley.
  • Turn 84, 900 BC: Darhan Found Darhan -> worker. Drop an archer on the 3-tile island to keep barbs off of it.
  • Turn 85, 875 BC: Ta-Tu worker -> worker. Ulaanbatar size 2; change it to galley as it can put together 2spt and maybe 3 after roading it up.
  • Turn 86, 850 BC: Tabriz size 3. 3rd and last curragh makes a suicide run far S.
  • Turn 87, 825 BC: Code of Laws SGL Code of Laws, and Scientific GL Ulan Bator!!! -> Line up Philo and Republic. Switch Tabriz to harbor, wasting 39 shields, move the SGL there for GLH next turn. Curragh survived; if I had been thinking I would have walked it back to wait for GLH, but instead I pushed it forward into mortal danger once again.
  • Turn 88, 800 BC: Meet Egypt Tabriz harbor -> GLH. Ta-Tu worker -> worker. Hovd worker -> worker. Curragh survives! And finds Egyptian settler! They don't even have Alphabet! But they have at least the rest of the first-level techs. She only has 5 cities. My military is stronger than hers. She won't trade any tech for Alpha straight-up, so either she knows others who have it or is researching it herself. I'll wait and see who else I meet. SGL hurries GLH. Change Kazan to harbor. MM Karakorum to 10spt for barracks and archers for guarding my islands. Change other builds around as I want to start building harbors for food and maybe courthouses for the edge cities. I'll have Philo and likely Republic in 6 turns, and then it will be time to shut down research for a while.
  • Turn 89, 775 BC: Great Lighthouse Tabriz Great Lighthouse -> galley. Egypt got Alphabet in the interturn. You're welcome.
  • Turn 91, 730 BC: Groat lands in Egypt next to Pi-Ramesses, and a GLH-sped galley and curragh are exploring the continent.
  • Turn 92, 710 BC: Galley spots blue borders.
  • Turn 93, 690 BC: Meet America Meet America. Damn, he has Writing. And Philosophy. I'm 2 beakers away from it. No slingshot for me. He does not have CoL. Since I have two ships and a scout searching their lands I won't trade yet.
  • Turn 94, 670 BC: Philosophy Philo -> Republic at max available.
  • Turn 95, 650 BC: Meet Russia Meet Russia. They have Writing and Philo but not CoL. They are the most powerful civ so far. I have more pop, they have more land and score.
  • Turn 96, 630 BC: BW, Wheel, Masonry, IW, Math, HBR, Myst, Poly Iron and Horses on big island Decide it's time to start trading. Writing and 45g to Egypt for BW and Wheel. There's a horse on the 19-tile island, but not my home isle. Map Making to Egypt for Masonry, CB and 68g. Cleo is short Math to the others. Philo and 12g to Egypt for IW. CoL to America for Math, HBR and Myst and 31g. All three have Poly, and Russia also has Construction. CoL suddenly isn't valuable to anyone else. There is iron on the horse isle, go figure. Sell Col to Russa for 202g. Math and CoL to Egypt for Poly and 25g (all she has). I have most of the money, and Russia is up Construction. CoL is the only net-new tech on their continent. I got 8 plus money in trade. :) Establish embassies with everyone. Russia has iron and horses, Egypt has iron, America has no strategic resources. Oh, Egypt and Russia haven't met! Nobody's completed a wonder besides me yet. Briefly consider going for Colossus, but Spain, a seafaring civ is in the game. No, I will go for it; I have 8spt in Tabriz and it will grow more.
  • Turn 98, 590 BC: Take out a barb and a barb camp. No horses this time, and no boats yet. Land 2 archers on the horse/iron island.
  • Turn 99, 570 BC: Meet Spain Oh hai Spain! So, um, building any Colossuses lately? She doesn't have Writing, HBR or Poly. She has 3g and doesn't know America or Egypt. And she's building Colossus in Madrid, as I feared, but now I can build an embassy and peek. It's due in 52 turns, so I can beat her to it. I doubt anyone else has the production to beat me to it.
  • Turn 100, 550 BC: Oh. England is also seafaring. I didn't notice them until just now, when they completed the Colossus. No prob; Tabriz will slow-build galleys while working the sea hard for commerce. I need to start settling the islands and searching for the remaining continent; I'm guessing I found everyone in the known lands of the world.
  • Turn 101, 530 BC: New landmass Zulus complete Pyramids. I now have archers deployed watching all three islands so no barbs can spawn. Send the first suicide galley looking for yet another continent: it spots coast and a border, just need to live through the turn. Another galley is finding sea tiles in the ocean to hop towards the border.
  • Turn 102, 510 BC: Suicide galley sinks. The sea-tile-hopping galley finds a safe path, will reach the other continent next turn!
  • Turn 104, 470 BC: Meet Hittites Finally road a gems tile. Meet Hittites, they have Construction and are down CoL. Suck it, Russia. Very tempted to buy it now for CoL and 28g, but I might as well meet another civ on that continent then trade.
  • Turn 105, 450 BC: Meet England Spot an English warrior and make contact. They are also up Construction and down CoL. Crap, now I can't trade CoL straight-up for Construction with either of them. Someone on their continent must have just finished it. I don't have an immediate need; I'll wait some more.
  • Turn 107, 410 BC: Construction Meet Zulu. All civs met. Meet Zulu. Zulu of all civs has both CoL and Construction. Oh, that's everyone, I know the world now. Sell HBR to Spain for her 55g. CoL and 142g to England for Construction. Not trading with Hittites cost me 167g...or did it? Sell CoL to Hittites for 189g. Okay, that's better. Land settler & worker on iron-horse island. MINE! Change builds around as I have 4 galleys and don't seem to be in danger of losing them. Aqueducts, courthouses and such.
  • Turn 108, 390 BC: Egypt knows Monarchy, of course won't trade straight-up for Construction.
  • Turn 109, 370 BC: Dalandzadgad Monarchy Found Dalandzadgad on the iron-horse island claiming the iron. -> harbor. Russia has Monarchy and still hasn't met Egypt. Score for me, because now Construction gets me Monarchy and 35g from Egypt. Decide to go for THG in Karakorum, but will probably lose it to cascade. Oh, now I have to decide if I'd rather go Monarchy than Republic. I expected to get Republic first on a slingshot, but I missed that and now I have Monarchy first. I'm Mongols, yeah I'll go Monarchy, right now...well, next turn due to some builds and forest chop timings.
  • Turn 110, 350 BC: Revolution Revolt, get 5-turn anarchy.
  • Turn 113, 290 BC: Hittites have Currency, will trade it and all their 29g for Monarchy. Decide to wait for a two-fer and/or a chance to get a MA tech with Republic.
  • Turn 114, 270 BC: Damnit, England got Monarchy and bought Currency. I don't have a deal now. Penny lands on the new continent.
  • Turn 115, 250 BC: Mandalgovi Monarchy I am now a Monarchy. Found Mandalgovi for the horses -> worker.
  • Turn 120, 150 BC: Republic Republic -> Literature with lone scientist. Come to think of it, not sure why I didn't go min research when I went for Monarchy.
  • Turn 123, 90 BC: Penny observes Hittites and Zulu at war. Found Choybalsan on the jungle/bananna island.
  • Turn 125, 50 BC: Erdenet on E continent! Egypt completes Oracle. Found Erdenet on the Zulu/Hittite/England continent! There's still open land, and I found a faster safe sea-tile-hop to it. Zulu and England have Republic. Trade Republic to HIttites for Currency and 11g (all they have). Nobody has MA techs yet.
  • Turn 126, 30 BC: England has Lit.
  • Turn 127, 10 BC: Ah, there is a way their 4-move galleys can reach my island, but I'll probably start warring with the E continent before they do that. Or maybe I can place a blocking curragh.
  • Turn 128, 10 AD: Rush a harbor on the iron-horse isle hoping the GLH connects the harbors via sea.
  • Turn 129, 30 AD: Tsetserleg on E continent Iron and Horses on trade network Yes! I have iron and horses on the trade network. Found Tsetserleg on the E continent.
  • Turn 130, 50 AD: I'm the 2nd-most powerful civ.
  • Turn 131, 70 AD: Defend against 1 barb warrior and 2 barb galleys, my galley redlined.
  • Turn 132, 90 AD: Russia DoW. Ally Spain, America and Egypt against her. Russia demands Republic. I tell her to shove it. She DoW's. LOL, Spain has RoP with Russia and will take an alliance straight-up. I throw Monarchy in the deal so she can produce better. Republic is on that island; I won't be able to trade Republic to Russia for their free MA tech. Give America 4gpt to fight Russia. Give Egypt 6gpt to fight Russia. Russia is the monster on that continent, so I just dogpiled them. I don't think I'll bother to go over there and fight them. I have closer lands to secure. Disband Groat as he is in the middle of Russia. Change research to Feudalism, minimum for now.
  • Turn 133, 110 AD: Lower lux to 20% because I have war happiness
  • Turn 134, 130 AD: Baruun-Urt Found Baruun-Urt by 1-tile lake.
  • Turn 135, 150 AD: Hanging Gardens Karakorum completes Hanging Gardens. Lux to 10%.
  • Turn 136, 170 AD: Ereen Found Ereen on the 3-tile island.

The turnlog is too long to stuff two of them in one post...

Removed bolding from turn title:
Spoiler :
  • Turn 0, 4000 BC: Karakorum Locate nearby Gems Scout 2W, see diamonds...yay, I do have a lux! Worker SW. Settle in place -> Scout. "Discover" deer forest 2N just outside city borders. Put citizen on to-be-improved tile, research Alphabet at minimum.
  • Turn 1, 3950 BC: Maps from hut. Start mine. Scout S, spots hut and more diamonds and volcano, W to bust hut, get maps. Notice my starting area is skinny and narrowing to S.
  • Turn 2, 3900 BC: Scout SE, S to hill. Find sugar and another patch of fresh water lake.
  • Turn 4, 3800 BC: Scout S, SW to hill, find only coastline to my S. Hmmm, I'm close to the north end of map. "Beginning to wonder" if my start is isolated.
  • Turn 5, 3750 BC: Karakorum scout -> archer. (Projecting less/no shield waste with a 20s build at this time.) Rename first scout Penny, new scout Groat. Penny NE,NE. Groat N,N to deer.
  • Turn 6, 3700 BC: Groat N, NW, spots more diamonds and a hut. Penny NE,N, spots fish.
  • Turn 7, 3650 BC: 25g from hut Worker mine -> road. Penny 2NE, reveals whats SE of capital. Groat 2NW, busts hut, gets 25g, finds narrow part of land and tundra to N. "Start to get concerned" that my starting area has room for 6-8 good cities and I might be isolated or have a poor land path to the rest of the world.
  • Turn 8, 3600 BC: Penny E, N across far side of lake. She needs to see if there's a land bridge in the fog to the NE. Groat N, N, spots coast. "Uh-oh, am I on an island?"
  • Turn 9, 3550 BC: Penny 2NE, finds fish and coast. Groat N, W. Really looking like an island, only possibilities are fogged land bridges and maybe NW tundra connection.
  • Turn 10, 3500 BC: Borders expand Karakorum size 2, borders expand. Penny NE, W (peer 2 tiles into ocean, start heading to W coast to unfog it). Groat 2SW. Pause to overthink next worker action. Ok, still going for the deer next. Worker completes road, moves NE, N towards deer. Check Karakorum, move new citizen to lake, +2 commerce and still archer due in 2. Decide it's time to hit the panic button and beeline for Map Making. Research to 100%, formely Alpha in 40, now Alpha in 19.
  • Turn 11, 3450 BC: Worker starts road. Penny 2W. Groat W, SW, finds tundra coastline. Almost definitely an island. Starting to overthink my city placement, but I have at least another three turns before the worker finishes the road and I have to make a decision affecting the next city placement/improvement.
  • Turn 12, 3400 BC: Karakorum Archer -> Settler. Penny W, NW. Groat heading back E to unfog the NE part of the presumed island. Mil advisor mentions no barbs, but Archer has nothing better to do than wait for the setter. Archer fortifies.
  • Turn 13, 3350 BC: Penny N,W. Groat 2E. I can see all the coasts, I am nearly definitely on an island. Will send the scouts to look for hidden land bridges, but safe to bet on an isolated island start now.
  • Turn 14, 3300 BC: Worker completes road. Groat E to unfog NE coast. Penny E,S and needs 2 or three more turns to unfog the last fogged coast tile, but it doesn't look like a land bridge to me. So I spend a bunch of time plannig city placement with consideration that likely nobody will be invading me for nearly two ages, I'm stuck self-researching until suicide boats meet others, but at some time in the future I'll have to build and launch an invation fleet and force. ... Move worker N to forest deer.
  • Turn 15, 3250 BC: Worker starts roading forest deer tile (timing of setterl build, deer chop, etc. taken into account)
  • Turn 16, 3200 BC: Penny unfogs last coast tile. We're a Lonely Island. (I love that band!) The scouts' jobs are now to unfog two tiles into the sea everywhere possible. OOPS! I still had the citizen working the lake, and I'm not going to complete the settler at next growth! D'oh! Move citizen, will finish the settler one turn after size 3.
  • Turn 20, 3000 BC: Karakorum -> size 3. Move 2 citizens to lake, will still complete settler next turn. Penny spots possible coastal water to the W of the diamond/volcano/lake coast. That will be the first target for a curragh, and if it is indeed coast a curragh will reach it without risking sinking.
  • Turn 21, 2950 BC: Most advanced: last place I am last in the ranking of most advanced tech civs. Karakorum settler -> granary. (What else to build? I'll sell it after I hit size 7 and then join workers from my high-food city to reach size 12.) Worker completes road, so settler N, N, W into its city spot. Worker S, starts irrigation. I have 5 units this turn, and it will cost me 1g, but I have some gold in the bank so I don't have to slow research, and this problem will be solved next turn when I make a new city. Check military advisor, no mention of barb camps yet.
  • Turn 22, 2900 BC: Ta-Tu Ta-Tu -> granary. Scouts have done all they can, but they're not costing anything, so Penny will sit and watch the coast tile to the SW, and I'll find a spot for Groat to watch for ships or barbs.
  • Turn 23, 2850 BC: The people want to expand my palace? For being stuck on an island and being last in tech? Or maybe in Regent a new city is reason to celebrate.
  • Turn 25, 2750 BC: Worker irrigation -> N and starts chopping deer. Move the archer to Ta-Tu, figure he'll be needed there sooner.
  • Turn 29, 2590 BC: Worker completes chop, starts irrigation. MM Ta-Tu, but nothing really to be done because growth in 2.
  • Turn 31, 2510 BC: Ta-Tu size 2. Not in the mood for projecting with spreadsheets, going for growth before granary completion.
  • Turn 33, 2430 BC: Worker completes irrigation, moves to chop forest for Ta-Tu's granary.
  • Turn 35, 2350 BC: Mil advisor: tribes near Ta-Tu. Between city borders and scout placement I can see that my worker is not in a dangerous spot.
  • Turn 36, 2310 BC: Barb war threatens Groat. Groat 1S then passes (to keep barb hill in sight). Ta-Tu will need happiness starting next turn, so I keep archer there for now.
  • Turn 37, 2270 BC: Barb war fortifies on hill. Guess it's still the barb grace period. Ta-Tu size 3.
  • Turn 38, 2230 BC: Barb wandered off NE! Karakorum granary -> warrior as I need some MP and barb defense soon. I considered working the lake tiles, but no I need some shields for military now. Worker completes forest chop, starts road. I'm -1gpt but have 55g in bank.
  • Turn 39, 2190 BC: Ta-Tu granary -> worker. Yeah, I need settlers, but I also need to start getting this land improved quickly.
  • Turn 41, 2110 BC: Karakorum warrior -> warrior. Worker completes road, moves NW to BG tile. Lux to 0, research back to 100%.
  • Turn 42, 2070 BC: Ta-Tu worker -> settler. Worker NW to BG. Worker starts mine.
  • Turn 43, 2030 BC: Karakorum warrior -> warrior. Warrior to Ta-Tu due to grow soon. Will need another MP in two turns, so leave Karakorum at 5spt. I'm off to a slower early start than I wanted, but things are about to explode. MM Ta-Tu for some extra shields, same growth target.
  • Turn 44, 1990 BC: Karakorum and Ta-Tu size 4. Karakorum warrior -> archer. Put two Karakorum citizens on the lake, go from 4cpt to 8cpt in Karakorum.
  • Turn 47, 1870 BC: Barb war fortifies. It's the barbarian touring show troupe I guess. MM Ta-Tu.
  • Turn 48, 1830 BC: Ta-Tu size 5. Barb war advances to threaten Groat and approach workers; the grace period is over. Worker mine -> road. Move Ta-Tu's archer and warrior N to intercept barb and protect workers. Move Groat NE, N to mountain to peek at other barbs and perhaps lure this barb away from workers. Move Karakorum warriors to Ta-Tu for MP, raise lux to 20% to get everyone happy enough.
  • Turn 49, 1790 BC: Barb moves E between my military and Groat. Ta-Tu settler -> settler. Worker completes mine, starts road. Reg archer attacks barb war, wins unhurt. Resdistribute warriors for MP, lux to 0 and research to 100%. Settler towards two-fish site NE of capital. Groat W, can see barb camp 2 tiles NW of hill.
  • Turn 50, 1750 BC: Penny sees barb camp spawn to the SW of capital, on hill by lake. Karakorum archer -> warrior. (Captial can do 2-turn warriors while working both lake tiles, and I want some more MP and barb fodder.) Settler E to city spot. Lux to 10% for Karakorum.
  • Turn 51, 1725 BC: Kazan Ta-Tu size 4. Found Kazan -> curragh. Put citizen on fish and will complete the curragh with a forest chop. Archer towards barb camp.
  • Turn 52, 1700 BC: Barb attacks archer on hill, dies with nothing to show for it. Karakorum warrior -> archer. Archer moves next to camp. Worker completes mine, moves towards captial to road up some tiles. Capital archer starts SW to deal with that camp.
  • Turn 53, 1675 BC: Take out barb camp with no damage. Workers start road, chop.
  • Turn 55, 1625 BC: Writing Writing -> Map Making (est 21 turns). Ta-Tu grows, makes settler -> worker. Karakorum size 6. Lux to 20%.
  • Turn 56, 1600 BC: Karakorum archer -> archer. S archer attacks barb camp on hill, wins unhurt, promotes to veteran. 1 barb remains in camp.
  • Turn 57, 1575 BC: Chopped forest completes Kazan curragh -> curragh. Archer wipes out barb camp, mil advisor reports no tribes. Curragh begins trip towards the mystery coastal tile.
  • Turn 59, 1525 BC: Almarikh Found Almarikh 3W of capital -> curragh. I've been running a deficit of of up to 4gpt; the city brings unit support up enough to cover my units. I'm still paying 2gpt for the granaries but taking the barb camps is funding those costs. I've been researching max (minux luxury needs) since turn 10.
  • Turn 60, 1500 BC: Karakorum size 7. Karkorum archer -> archer. Karakorum culture expands to level 3. Sell Karakorum granary. Lux to 30%. Move new citizen off of unroaded BG to roaded grassland for an extra commerce and still have 5spt.
  • Turn 61, 1475 BC: Kazan size 2. Start thinking about a granary prebuild for GLH. I should put it in the city to be placed south of the capital. I really should have placed the last settler there, but at the time the western spot was appealing because it added some lands for the food city.
  • Turn 64, 1400 BC: Karakorum archer -> archer. Ta-Tu grows, settler. MM Kazan to work both fish. Curragh nearly to crossing point, spots another coast (water) tile.
  • Turn 65, 1375 BC: New landmass Curragh spots land to W, can get to it without risking sinking!
  • Turn 66, 1350 BC: Tabriz Barb camp w/2 warriors spawns next to Groat, just in tundra. Curragh makes the crossing, finds what might be a 1-tile hill island. Found Tabriz -> granary as prebuild for GLH.
  • Turn 67, 1325 BC: Barb advances to hill. Ta-Tu size 4, MM it. Archer kills him uhurt. Almarikh curragh -> curragh. Curragh move around little island, it is a 3-tile island, one hill and two plains tiles, one with wheat. :-| .
  • Turn 68, 1300 BC: New landmass Almarikh size 2. Karakorum archer -> archer. Kazan curragh -> curragh. Archer wipes out barb camp, hurt to 2/3. First curragh spots more land on the other side of the island. Other curraghs will head that way.
  • Turn 70, 1250 BC: Ta-Tu settler -> settler. Change Almarikh to granary as galley prebuild.
  • Turn 71, 1225 BC: Kazan size 3. An archer takes over Groat's watch, Groat and Penny will move to whever my galleys will be built (Map Making due in 4),
  • Turn 72, 1200 BC: New landmass Tribes reported near Ta-Tu. I have two curraghs by the larger island, it's about 20 tiles, but there is another landmass beyond!
  • Turn 74, 1150 BC: Map Making Map Making! Decide to go for Republic slingshot, CoL at max available. Karakorum size 8. Change builds to galleys and GLH.
  • Turn 75, 1125 BC: Ulaanbaatar Karakorum size 8. Found Ulaanbaatar whose main purpose is to capture the fish tile for Tabriz and claim the area from the barbs. I don't expect much from it. Set to harbor. Lead curragh finds that the third other island is small, about 5 jungle tiles with jungle and marsh. No fresh water on these isles. Well, I reached Map Making, stop for a strategy reformulation.
  • Turn 76, 1100 BC: Tabriz size 2. Ta-Tu settler -> settler. I had just decided to start on workers, but I really need to place two more settlers to capture a couple of good tiles; placing this one settler alone is a bit of a waste for now.
  • Turn 78, 1050 BC: Hovd Tundra archer battle: reg archer wipes out barb, promotes to 4/4. Found Hovd -> worker. First curragh takes suicide stab S, spots edge of coastal tiles to SW.
  • Turn 79, 1025 BC: New landmass Almarikh size 3. Ta-Tu size 4. Curragh lives! Finds land, but is in danger again of sinking. MM Ta-Tu.
  • Turn 80, 1000 BC: Spot a barb horse in the tundra. Vet archer wipes out barb camp, ends up next to horse. 2nd curragh makes a suicide run behind the first.
  • Turn 81, 975 BC: Kazan size 3. Vet archer attacks barb horse, wins, promotes to 4/5. 2nd curragh lives, takes the next two steps, still in danger.
  • Turn 82, 950 BC: Livy says I'm the third largest civ behind the Russians and Zulu. The curragh sinks. Civ crashes. D'oh! Load from autosave, replay last turn, got same visible results. Ta-Tu settler -> worker. Almarikh galley -> galley. Load Groat and an archer into the galley.
  • Turn 84, 900 BC: Darhan Found Darhan -> worker. Drop an archer on the 3-tile island to keep barbs off of it.
  • Turn 85, 875 BC: Ta-Tu worker -> worker. Ulaanbatar size 2; change it to galley as it can put together 2spt and maybe 3 after roading it up.
  • Turn 86, 850 BC: Tabriz size 3. 3rd and last curragh makes a suicide run far S.
  • Turn 87, 825 BC: Code of Laws SGL Code of Laws, and Scientific GL Ulan Bator!!! -> Line up Philo and Republic. Switch Tabriz to harbor, wasting 39 shields, move the SGL there for GLH next turn. Curragh survived; if I had been thinking I would have walked it back to wait for GLH, but instead I pushed it forward into mortal danger once again.
  • Turn 88, 800 BC: Meet Egypt Tabriz harbor -> GLH. Ta-Tu worker -> worker. Hovd worker -> worker. Curragh survives! And finds Egyptian settler! They don't even have Alphabet! But they have at least the rest of the first-level techs. She only has 5 cities. My military is stronger than hers. She won't trade any tech for Alpha straight-up, so either she knows others who have it or is researching it herself. I'll wait and see who else I meet. SGL hurries GLH. Change Kazan to harbor. MM Karakorum to 10spt for barracks and archers for guarding my islands. Change other builds around as I want to start building harbors for food and maybe courthouses for the edge cities. I'll have Philo and likely Republic in 6 turns, and then it will be time to shut down research for a while.
  • Turn 89, 775 BC: Great Lighthouse Tabriz Great Lighthouse -> galley. Egypt got Alphabet in the interturn. You're welcome.
  • Turn 91, 730 BC: Groat lands in Egypt next to Pi-Ramesses, and a GLH-sped galley and curragh are exploring the continent.
  • Turn 93, 690 BC: Meet America Meet America. Damn, he has Writing. And Philosophy. I'm 2 beakers away from it. No slingshot for me. He does not have CoL. Since I have two ships and a scout searching their lands I won't trade yet.
  • Turn 95, 650 BC: Meet Russia Meet Russia. They have Writing and Philo but not CoL. They are the most powerful civ so far. I have more pop, they have more land and score.
  • Turn 96, 630 BC: BW, Wheel, Masonry, IW, Math, HBR, Myst, Poly Iron and Horses on big island Decide it's time to start trading. Writing and 45g to Egypt for BW and Wheel. There's a horse on the 19-tile island, but not my home isle. Map Making to Egypt for Masonry, CB and 68g. Cleo is short Math to the others. Philo and 12g to Egypt for IW. CoL to America for Math, HBR and Myst and 31g. All three have Poly, and Russia also has Construction. CoL suddenly isn't valuable to anyone else. There is iron on the horse isle, go figure. Sell Col to Russa for 202g. Math and CoL to Egypt for Poly and 25g (all she has). I have most of the money, and Russia is up Construction. CoL is the only net-new tech on their continent. I got 8 plus money in trade. :) Establish embassies with everyone. Russia has iron and horses, Egypt has iron, America has no strategic resources. Oh, Egypt and Russia haven't met! Nobody's completed a wonder besides me yet. Briefly consider going for Colossus, but Spain, a seafaring civ is in the game. No, I will go for it; I have 8spt in Tabriz and it will grow more.
  • Turn 98, 590 BC: Take out a barb and a barb camp. No horses this time, and no boats yet. Land 2 archers on the horse/iron island.
  • Turn 99, 570 BC: Meet Spain Oh hai Spain! So, um, building any Colossuses lately? She doesn't have Writing, HBR or Poly. She has 3g and doesn't know America or Egypt. And she's building Colossus in Madrid, as I feared, but now I can build an embassy and peek. It's due in 52 turns, so I can beat her to it. I doubt anyone else has the production to beat me to it.
  • Turn 100, 550 BC: Oh. England is also seafaring. I didn't notice them until just now, when they completed the Colossus. No prob; Tabriz will slow-build galleys while working the sea hard for commerce. I need to start settling the islands and searching for the remaining continent; I'm guessing I found everyone in the known lands of the world.
  • Turn 101, 530 BC: New landmass Zulus complete Pyramids. I now have archers deployed watching all three islands so no barbs can spawn. Send the first suicide galley looking for yet another continent: it spots coast and a border, just need to live through the turn. Another galley is finding sea tiles in the ocean to hop towards the border.
  • Turn 102, 510 BC: Suicide galley sinks. The sea-tile-hopping galley finds a safe path, will reach the other continent next turn!
  • Turn 104, 470 BC: Meet Hittites Finally road a gems tile. Meet Hittites, they have Construction and are down CoL. Suck it, Russia. Very tempted to buy it now for CoL and 28g, but I might as well meet another civ on that continent then trade.
  • Turn 105, 450 BC: Meet England Spot an English warrior and make contact. They are also up Construction and down CoL. Crap, now I can't trade CoL straight-up for Construction with either of them. Someone on their continent must have just finished it. I don't have an immediate need; I'll wait some more.
  • Turn 107, 410 BC: Construction Meet Zulu. All civs met. Meet Zulu. Zulu of all civs has both CoL and Construction. Oh, that's everyone, I know the world now. Sell HBR to Spain for her 55g. CoL and 142g to England for Construction. Not trading with Hittites cost me 167g...or did it? Sell CoL to Hittites for 189g. Okay, that's better. Land settler & worker on iron-horse island. MINE! Change builds around as I have 4 galleys and don't seem to be in danger of losing them. Aqueducts, courthouses and such.
  • Turn 108, 390 BC: Egypt knows Monarchy, of course won't trade straight-up for Construction.
  • Turn 109, 370 BC: Dalandzadgad Monarchy Found Dalandzadgad on the iron-horse island claiming the iron. -> harbor. Russia has Monarchy and still hasn't met Egypt. Score for me, because now Construction gets me Monarchy and 35g from Egypt. Decide to go for THG in Karakorum, but will probably lose it to cascade. Oh, now I have to decide if I'd rather go Monarchy than Republic. I expected to get Republic first on a slingshot, but I missed that and now I have Monarchy first. I'm Mongols, yeah I'll go Monarchy, right now...well, next turn due to some builds and forest chop timings.
  • Turn 113, 290 BC: Hittites have Currency, will trade it and all their 29g for Monarchy. Decide to wait for a two-fer and/or a chance to get a MA tech with Republic.
  • Turn 114, 270 BC: Damnit, England got Monarchy and bought Currency. I don't have a deal now. Penny lands on the new continent.
  • Turn 115, 250 BC: Mandalgovi Monarchy I am now a Monarchy. Found Mandalgovi for the horses -> worker.
  • Turn 120, 150 BC: Republic Republic -> Literature with lone scientist. Come to think of it, not sure why I didn't go min research when I went for Monarchy.
  • Turn 123, 90 BC: Penny observes Hittites and Zulu at war. Found Choybalsan on the jungle/bananna island.
  • Turn 125, 50 BC: Erdenet on E continent! Egypt completes Oracle. Found Erdenet on the Zulu/Hittite/England continent! There's still open land, and I found a faster safe sea-tile-hop to it. Zulu and England have Republic. Trade Republic to HIttites for Currency and 11g (all they have). Nobody has MA techs yet.
  • Turn 127, 10 BC: Ah, there is a way their 4-move galleys can reach my island, but I'll probably start warring with the E continent before they do that. Or maybe I can place a blocking curragh.
  • Turn 128, 10 AD: Rush a harbor on the iron-horse isle hoping the GLH connects the harbors via sea.
  • Turn 129, 30 AD: Tsetserleg on E continent Iron and Horses on trade network Yes! I have iron and horses on the trade network. Found Tsetserleg on the E continent.
  • Turn 131, 70 AD: Defend against 1 barb warrior and 2 barb galleys, my galley redlined.
  • Turn 132, 90 AD: Russia DoW. Ally Spain, America and Egypt against her. Russia demands Republic. I tell her to shove it. She DoW's. LOL, Spain has RoP with Russia and will take an alliance straight-up. I throw Monarchy in the deal so she can produce better. Republic is on that island; I won't be able to trade Republic to Russia for their free MA tech. Give America 4gpt to fight Russia. Give Egypt 6gpt to fight Russia. Russia is the monster on that continent, so I just dogpiled them. I don't think I'll bother to go over there and fight them. I have closer lands to secure. Disband Groat as he is in the middle of Russia. Change research to Feudalism, minimum for now.
  • Turn 135, 150 AD: Hanging Gardens Karakorum completes Hanging Gardens. Lux to 10%.

Turn title brown:
Spoiler :

Turn title gray:
Spoiler :

I think this is my favorite, but the previous post is good, too.

Since brown looked like a duller red to me, cities brown:
Spoiler :

Somehow that looks overly-dull. I think I like the previous post better.

Ok, how about this: The turn title are green again, but I have, um, a brown log :lol: column:
Spoiler :

Hmm, I'll have to compare and think about it....

I accidentally posted two of the above trials with missing bullet points for most lines and fixed it. Then I realized the bullet points aren't helping; they're just cluttering and redundant to the treatment of the turn title. What might help visually is to put line breaks between each turn.

But I've stumbled into an interesting problem when trying to add line breaks in the output: when a cell is multi-line and I copy-paste it, it ends up as a quoted multi-line string like this:

"line 1
line 2

line 4"

Which doesn't work when pasting into the forum:

"[COLOR=""Gray""]Turn 0, 4000 BC: [/COLOR][COLOR=""Red""]Karakorum[/COLOR] [COLOR=""Green""]Locate nearby Gems[/COLOR] Scout 2W, see diamonds...yay, I do have a lux! Worker SW. Settle in place -> Scout. ""Discover"" deer forest 2N just outside city borders. Put citizen on to-be-improved tile, research Alphabet at minimum.

What happens if I have more than one line in a cell?
"
"[COLOR=""Gray""]Turn 1, 3950 BC: [/COLOR][COLOR=""Green""]Maps from hut.[/COLOR] Start mine. Scout S, spots hut and more diamonds and volcano, W to bust hut, get maps. Notice my starting area is skinny and narrowing to S.
"
"[COLOR=""Gray""]Turn 2, 3900 BC: [/COLOR]Scout SE, S to hill. Find sugar and another patch of fresh water lake.
"
"[COLOR=""Gray""]Turn 3, 3850 BC: [/COLOR]Scout SE, S.
"

If I just add a blank cell between turns, control-A doesn't select what I want anymore. Also, the blank-cell tactic still doesn't help when the user uses control-enter to add lines to a cell himself.

It's a solvable problem, but I think I need to walk away from it for a little while and clear my head before deciding which way to go.

This is the current format of my shared turnlog template. I moved the date in front of the turn number, and I think that both looks better and is more useful for skimming. I think it will stay this way and I'll start seeing about doing this in Excel and/or LibreOffice Calc because fixing the multiline problem in Google Spreadsheet is harder than I thought but should be trivial in an offline spreadsheet.

• 4000 BC, turn 0: Found Rome Settle in place. Worker to BG.
  • 3950 BC, turn 1: Worker mine
  • 3800 BC, turn 4: Rome warrior -> warrior
  • 3700 BC, turn 6: Finish mine, start road
  • 3650 BC, turn 7: Meet Germany Warrior spots blue archer. Contact Bismark, no good trades available.
  • 3600 BC, turn 8: CB from hut
  • 3450 BC, turn 11: Suggested Use: RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.
  • 3400 BC, turn 12: Suggested Use: My use for BlueLog is new techs.
  • 3350 BC, turn 13: Suggested Use: GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.
  • 3300 BC, turn 14: BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.
  • 3100 BC, turn 18: The output will automatically skip empty turns.
  • 2900 BC, turn 22: Veii

Edit: Green doesn't "pop" enough in the long turnlong I currently have in the first post spoiler tag. But I can try out other colors. I also noticed something...the multiline cell pastes are double-quoting the color names, and that's one reason why it's not pasting correctly.

Edit 2: Putting the date in front really helped. The bullet followed by "Turn" every line was just unhelpful noise, but this way the bullets seem to help. When I make the offline spreadsheets I will definitely try a more vertical list; some of the green-highlighted items get shoved way to the right and are harder to skim the way it is now. My end product may end up looking very, very much like vmxa's turnlogs I linked to earlier.

I have the Excel version in progress. I can make it put out a list layout, but now I'm experimenting with paragraph layouts.

Pretty much the list but without the LIST tags / bullet points, but with line spaces between each turn:
Spoiler :

3650 BC, turn 7: Meet Germany Warrior spots blue archer. Contact Bismark, no good trades available.

3450 BC, turn 11: Suggested Use: RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.

3350 BC, turn 13: Suggested Use: GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.

3300 BC, turn 14: BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.

Double-spacing every log line:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:

Found Rome

3950 BC, turn 1:

Worker mine

3800 BC, turn 4:

Rome warrior -> warrior

3700 BC, turn 6:

Finish mine, start road

3650 BC, turn 7:

Meet Germany

3600 BC, turn 8:

CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:

Suggested Use:

RedLog is a good place to note new cities. This information is always of high interest.

3400 BC, turn 12:

Suggested Use:

3350 BC, turn 13:

Suggested Use:

GreenLog is a good place for other events of impact or focus, such as meeting a new civ, building a wonder, gaining a strategic resource or demonstrating a concept in a turnset.

3300 BC, turn 14:

BlackLog is for everything else. Only the dedicated fans will read everything you put here.

3100 BC, turn 18:

2900 BC, turn 22:

Veii

Adding INDENT tag:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:

Found Rome

3950 BC, turn 1:

Worker mine

3800 BC, turn 4:

Rome warrior -> warrior

3700 BC, turn 6:

Finish mine, start road

3650 BC, turn 7:

Meet Germany

3600 BC, turn 8:

CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:

Suggested Use:

3400 BC, turn 12:

Suggested Use:

3350 BC, turn 13:

Suggested Use:

3300 BC, turn 14:

3100 BC, turn 18:

2900 BC, turn 22:

Veii

Easing off on the double-spacing. Hmm, INDENT seems to force a double-space:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

With these short examples I like the first and the last best. I'll need to put the long log in and see how it looks. I'm definitely open to suggestion here.

Edit: Let's try bolded turn titles again:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

Ouch. Still harsh. How about unbloded-but-black turn titles:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

Hmmm....bold but gray?
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

Okay I think that last one is my favorite for the paragraph format. The very first one might as well be used as the "list" format...I think the line spacing is better than the bullet points.

More editing: I'd like to try bolding the gray turn titles in the list layout, and I might see about bolding green to see if that makes it "pop" better.

Yet more editing: I attached the Excel file to this post as I'm still working on it. Instead of a second worksheet it has two buttons that will put the BBCode on the clipboard in the format labeled on the button. I've had my eyes on the VBA code and haven't tried actually using it yet, but I notice the cells aren't wrapping like they should be, so it needs a little work still.

The new "list" format from Excel:
Spoiler :

"Paragraph" format from Excel:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

Let's try bolding the other colors for consistency:
Spoiler :
4000 BC, turn 0:
Found Rome
3950 BC, turn 1:
Worker mine
3800 BC, turn 4:
Rome warrior -> warrior
3700 BC, turn 6:
Finish mine, start road
3650 BC, turn 7:
Meet Germany
3600 BC, turn 8:
CB from hut

3450 BC, turn 11:
Suggested Use:
3400 BC, turn 12:
Suggested Use:
3350 BC, turn 13:
Suggested Use:
3300 BC, turn 14:
3100 BC, turn 18:
2900 BC, turn 22:
Veii

I thought that would be too intense, but I think I like it. Green and gray need the bolding to work, and red and blue aren't overpowering bolded like I thought they would be.

Here's the list format with extra bolding:
Spoiler :

Okay, I think Excel is done. I fixed the word wrap by recreating the sheet. I just need to put the buttons back on and upload it to the top post.

Top Bottom