1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turns 101-120

Discussion in 'The Knights’ Brotherhood' started by Lanzelot, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Only a reg hoplite on top.
    So we risk it? But in that case we need to shortrush a few more units at L-E in the next few turns.

Should I at the same time advance our stack towards Kommune 1? With the galleys I can unload the 4 swords and 2 cats on the forest 2S of Kommune 1 the same time as our stack arrives there.
    But I don't like opening the road to M-H and O-O again?! (No idea why they retreated that settler a few turns ago. If they had settled there and sent a handful of hoplites into the town, the situation would have been quite bad for us... Or we would have taken high losses beating them back from there again.)
    Somewhere all their units must be, so it is to be expected that Kommune 1 is heavily defended anyway?!
    Ivan, what's your opinion? I'll then play later today.

2. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

you mean risk the advance? because you could attack only next turn, which is what i referred to in my post.
    t_x

3. Lanzelot

Yes, risk the advance/unload on the plains tile.

4. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I have no good opinion about "plain".
    Theoretically better to stay at behind on mountains,
    probably I, myself, will take a risk of suicide.
    Because I have no plan.

Anyway, step forward at south not good. Also, I recommend send some Galleys to Lake, to transfer troops faster, just in case.

5. Lanzelot

There is a discussion now on Civforum, looking for a solution to the "Anarchy problem".
    I'll wait for its outcome before I play.

6. templar_x

Loki is going to play. good, so you can forget the diplo in the future.

their latest quarrel, when Loki obviously called the others incompetent, surely has a reason. i am quite sure that the one who played the turn either forgot to return units for defense in the north/or attack there/whatever or to start a counterattack in their west or south.

t_x

7. templar_x

since none of you seemed to follow the latest results of the discussion @ cifo i posted the following there. please go there and change it if you see it in a different way:

t_x

8. Lanzelot

I was traveling yesterday and wasn't able to follow the discussion over at cifo.
    I'll play and pass the save to the Eagles in 1-2 hours.

9. Lanzelot

Still not sure, what to do with our D-Day operation. :confused:
    Ivan has no plan, me neither.

If they have been playing carelessly (because of internal team quarrels, weaker players playing the turns, whatever), then we could achieve some big success by taking that size-8 city.

However, one basic rule is to never make moves that "hope" for the opponent's incompetence. One should always play under the assumption that the opponent has made the best move. I think PaGe was among the ones who conducted the last moves, and he is a good player. So if they played well, they'll have a number of trebs and MIs up there this turn and will be able to kill quite a number of units. And afterwards they can counter-attack Shlisselburg and we have nothing there to defend.
    Then our game would again be very difficult.

If our situation would be desperate, I would take the risk and attack now, but we have very good long-term chances of winning this war, and therefore I think we have no reason to take that risk! True, there is a good chance that we could land a decisive blow and finish them quickly, but there is also a high risk it's a trap and we suffer heavy losses. If we don't take that risk, we will very surely win against them long-term. I'm not a gambler, I'm a chess player, I can be patient... :)

Therefore I decided to retreat back to Shlisselburg!

In roughly 12 turns or so, we can upgrade our swordsmen to MI, so why risk them now in a gamble.

10. Lanzelot

Next turn is here. Nothing special. I can play tomorrow.

11. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Give 6 fpt to Glastonbury. we need some veteran/elite Galleys at East coast. Some swords on Galleys at another coast may be an idea. Is it too risky to restore TT?

12. Lanzelot

I think, we should restore TT very soon, so that we have time to rush the walls, before they get Knights. Should I rush the settler, when OO reaches size 4?

Where do we plant the next settler from Glastonbury? (Will shortrush in 2 turns. Now it doesn't make sense, we need size 6 for 5spt, and the two shields on growth is not enough for 4+6, because one of them is corrupted... :()

I think I prefer "blue", because it gets the most coastal tiles. (For our science race with the Küche... :D)

Avalon can shortrush next turn and then take the hill from Camelot for one turn for 10spt. Camelot currently has 225s in the box, so running 18spt for 1-2 turns does not hurt. For the next cycle the mine on the eastern hill will be ready, and then Avalon can run at 10spt without needing Camelot's mine.

Swords along the eastern coast? There's no mountain for cover, and they can see us, so no surprise-factor. Only tile that might make sense is the forest SW of Molde? But it's their only dyes source, so they won't repeat the same mistake of losing it...

Some interesting information from justanick:

Code:
              Pop     Com   Prod
    Eagles    113    >436   116
    Küche     113     374   112
    Knights    76     299    73
    Anarchos  60-62   167    57 

Should we keep building horses and then upgrade to Knights, or should we better build swords now and then use a Num+MI+Treb stack? I think the latter should be more effective, and we need less money for upgrades?! Plus their Treb bombardments would not be as effective: they will hit the Nums, while the MIs can still attack. If they bombard a Knights-only stack, we can't attack afterwards...

Edit: I assume the forest chop should go into Clariton's marketplace? In this case we need to set L-E to a wonder next turn.

13. templar_x

does your estimation of the "weakness" of the Anarchie include that you pay a lot for your troops, while they may not?

t_x

14. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I prefer settler from Tinta to TT. Or even From Glaston via ship chain. OO hard to recover.

In curent situation blue dot better. But we need Temple (L'E? ) to take fish.

15. Lanzelot

Yes, this turn we went to 310gpt, and even if I substract our 69gpt for upkeep, we are still at 241gpt. Plus our corruption should be lower.

True. But OO is 99% corrupt anyway, so is it worth it keeping it at size 4 and miss the opportunity to fortify TT before they have Knights? Settler from Tintagel will still need 4 turns (two before it makes sense to rush, two for travelling). The one from OO can be there in two.

If the Anarchos have saved a pile of gold during GA, I expect a massive Knights attack in 5 turns from now (T118): Küche will send them Chivalry in T117, they can upgrade in the same turn and attack the following turn.
    We need to have the wall up by that time and a few more Numidians in place.

16. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

If it is "Scenario" TT is just west of Settler. Better to settle on hill near Iron hill.

17. Lanzelot

One thing I forgot to mention: justanick told me that for quite some time they have been militarily "weak" against the Eagles. This turn however, they suddenly went to "average", but they didn't build any units!! :confused:

This can only mean, the Eagles tried to go "elite-training" on the barb island, and this "back-fired". :D For this reason I have sent one galley towards barb island to check the situation. (In case you were wondering, what the galley is doing there.)

That's really close?! Perhaps 1W of the tobacca, and then, if they really move Knights next to that town, we can attack them with cheap swords (and kill the retreated ones with horses).

18. Lanzelot

Ok, no Eagles to be seen at Cannibal Island:

24 horsemen! The Eagles probably lost some units in barbarian fights at Hellgate/Inferno?! (The names seem to indicate that, and it is to be expected, that this island has a similar number of barbs...)

Market in Montsalvat will finsih next turn, the one in Clariton in 2 turns, and the Courthose in MH in 5. But I think, we need to go "total war" then and start 2-turn unit production in all cities that have 10spt?
    Camelot can build 1-turn archers, which we hopefully can upgrade to LBs soon. These could then get elite training on Cannibal Island and go leader fishing in the war vs Anarchos?!

Two Numidians are ready at Avalon next turn and can travel to Shlisselburg by ship chain in 1 turn. Afterwards we should probably build swords?

And the main question is: rush settler in OO or not? I think OO is so corrupt, we may as well have it go back to size 2 again. Another town+wall at the tobacco is more important. And if yes: where do we build it?

I don't like black. If blue is too risky, then perhaps red?

19. templar_x

lurker's comment: i like blue best, but if you want red that forest MUST be chopped soonish!

it should get chopped away anyway.

red still is risky and requires another garrison on top of the mountain! i do not like this placement.

then even where the NM stands would be better, and you could found there with automatic elimination of the forest tile.

black does not seem to make any sense to me. it should only be considered if the enemy breaks through in the south.

settler should be rushed, you need new towns and not pop in existing corrupt towns.

t_x

Edit: are you going to save money for knight upgrades now?

20. Lanzelot

Ok, that's two in favor of rushing! :goodjob:

My current favorite is: shortrush swordsmen in 10spt cities and then upgrade to MDI for 30g. I think that this way we can get much more firepower than by upgrading Knights for 120g.
    The missing mobility is compensated by our galleys. (Most units can reach the front in one turn, no matter whether it's Shlissel or Tobacco.) And one other point: the Anarchos have been strong in F3 for quite a while now, but they didn't start another offensive yet. They could already have attacked with MDI/Hoplite stacks for quite a while, but didn't do it. So for me it looks like they are waiting for Chivalry and will then attack with a large force of upgraded horsemen. (The fact that Loki asked justanick when Chivalry will be ready, confirms this theory.) So this is our chance: neither Shlissel nor the red spot can be attacked unexpectedly from the distance. They first need to move the Knights next to it, and if we can then attack with swords (later MDIs), we have the first shot and can kill 70s units with cheap 30/40s units!
    (And we will need passive defense behind walls for quite a while, before we can become active again, so Knights are not yet necessary for us.)

BTW: the red spot has one advantage over the blue spot: ship chains! We can transfer units between that and Shlissel back and forth, depending on where they will attack.