1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turns 122 - 130

Discussion in 'The Knights’ Brotherhood' started by Lanzelot, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Ok, difficult situation: 9 Hoplites, 15 MIs and a handful other units moved next to Shlisselburg. Why are the Numideans still on the gold mountain? They could have moved towards L-E and now shipped into Shlisselburg.
    And where did the galley at S-E Point go? It was supposed to go to Avalon or M-H, why do we need it on the west coast?

So what do we do now? Move as many units as possible into Shlisselburg, attack with horses first, then swords and hope to kill a few Hoplites and MIs on flatland.

Or retreat all swords and wait for their upgrade? But then they will take Shlisselburg and move on the hill next to Sicyon. Don't like that. Would rather attack the Hoplites on grassland instead of on a hill... So I would say: attack now and then dig in and wait for reinforcements...

What is the plan for the settler?! :confused: It could have moved to its destination across Timbuktu this turn! Now that they advance their stack away from the core, a counter-attack at Timbuktu might become feasible in a couple of turns!

2. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

ffffffff

3. Lanzelot

I mentioned it already on March 27th, but I guess unfortunately I didn't make it clear enough:
    But anyway: perhaps it is even good that the settler is there now! How about the following plan to slow them down:
    • We evacuate Shlisselburg now and pillage the road with a catapult. (If both cats miss, we'll need to leave a suicide NM behind to do the job.)
    • Move all swords to L-E, where we can upgrade them next turn. As many galleys as possible to L-E as well. (And the NMs from the mountain.)
    • Settler on the hill E of Sicyon, protected by a couple of NMs against possible horses in the fog
    • Next turn we disband Sicyon and refound on the hill. If they want to advance, they'll have to stay on grassland, while our town is now on a hill. With the 4 NMs from the gold mountain, we can defend with 11 NMs. (Perhaps rush one more in L-E.) The following turn we can counter-attack with 11 MIs out of L-E (330g for upgrades).

4. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

not too bad a plan. upgrade "on IBT" for immediate use, i suppose? still i would not be sure, whether it is really better than stay and fortify...
    it is really bad you cannot bring those 4 "golden" NMs to the town, then i would not doubt that this is the best option. but the way things are, you would have quite a few swords defend and die. that is bitter, now that you could upgrade them.

quite probable they will not continue their attack when you withdraw. and they keep their army, and you keep the unit costs.
    defending in shlisselburg is a big risk, considering standard aviation...

if you decide to stand and fight in Shlissel, make sure to move the troops from MH to LE, and from there to Shlissel, plus the slow movers in LE. most horses will reach Shlissel "by foot" this turn. next turn 4 more galley loads of units can make it to Shlissel that way.

of course the upgrades would improve the quality of your attackers. but who know how many times the enemy will allow you to have it stand on grassland? (which is weird anyway, why arent they standing on the jungle??!????)

t_x

5. Lanzelot

They need a trebuchet for destroying the city walls.

6. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

We evacuate Shlisselburg now and pillage the road with a catapult. (If both cats miss, we'll need to leave a suicide NM behind to do the job.)
    In fact abonded city automatically pillage road. I think we may stay this turn and see what will be next.
    Move all swords to L-E, where we can upgrade them next turn. As many galleys as possible to L-E as well. (And the NMs from the mountain.)
    Will we have Knights? may be it is even better
    Settler on the hill E of Sicyon, protected by a couple of NMs against possible horses in the fog
    Next turn we disband Sicyon and refound on the hill. If they want to advance, they'll have to stay on grassland, while our town is now on a hill. With the 4 NMs from the gold mountain, we can defend with 11 NMs. (Perhaps rush one more in L-E.) The following turn we can counter-attack with 11 MIs out of L-E (330g for upgrades).
    well, need to think more about it

7. templar_x

well, i understand *that*. but 2 trebs? that is far from sure to actually hit the walls.
    t_x

8. Lanzelot

fffff

9. templar_x

i do not know the "defense value" of the city wall building, but from my perception it seems to be 6 or something like that. so of course it is quite likely that the trebs destroy it, but i would myself not rely on it if i bring along only 2 trebs. very surely, i have already seen them MISS!

otherwise, of course there lies some risk in the defense. however, for once the results could also be quite good. ;-) and even a fortified def-2 unit will win against attacking MIs in every third attack, statistically.

as i said, your plan with the hill town may work better. but they might not move the way you think they will, maybe avoid that hill town or north front altogether then. you may have 2 towns less instead 1 more.

will transport capabilities allow upgrades next turn and counter-attacks the turn after, anyway?

t_x

10. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

What do you think about rush barracks in Shlissel and upgrade there?

What about deal Chiv from Kuhe? Formally we will be in MA nex turn.

11. Lanzelot

Wasted gold. There is a high chance that we can't hold that town in the next 1-2 turns. (If they upgrade Knights this turn, it'll definitely be hard to hold. And why did they build that road, if not for a Knight-attack?)

Chiv still falls under the "forbidden" techs. If we want it, we'd have to research it ourselves: http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?76843-Strategische-Gesamtlage&p=4415707&viewfull=1#post4415707

12. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

OK, Worker then. What about capture undefended workers? With reg sword or vet Archer? I prefer sword. We may rush settler in Sicyon in exchange gold for food.

13. templar_x

does this mean you try to hold Shlisselburg?
    t_x

14. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

One turn probably.

15. templar_x

and the cats really did not fire then? :groucho:

t_x

16. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

ugu. forgot about that...

17. templar_x

forgot to fire or forgot to post the results? :]

18. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

forgot fire... and forgot to send WM

19. Lanzelot

Looks like we have lost 5 NMs and 5 Swords, they have lost 6 MIs.
    So that's 300s on our side and 240s on their side.:(

We have two NMs left in Shlisselburg. If they really attack with Kts next turn, it'll be a slaughter... Let's get our men outa there!

They have destroyed our retreat-road. Do our galleys suffice to get all our units into safety? The three galleys can get 9 units out. (Unload twice and fill a third time on sea.) Galley E evacuates 4 units, and the three galleys in L-E can hold 6 more units. So we need to leave 1 unit behind. The worker...? :D

Ok, we can perhaps move catapults and a few swords into the new town, kill the two hoplites and get the horses into safety on foot?

Do we need a market in Avalon now?

20. templar_x

i´d offer a few suggestions:

civil:
    - sell gran in Camelot
    - market instead of harbour in Tintagel
    - have those two towns exchange that 2s river grass for that 1s river grass.
    - with 3 mined plains, one is to exchange every 3rd turn, there is a possibility to build 3-turn-knights in the capital
    - plan ahead for tile allocation in Camlann - the way it is set up now does not make the next growth recommendable
    - Avalon either troops or duct
    - Mynydd change forest to roaded tundra
    - Caer give i bg to Camlann for this turn. what about a granary and 2-turn workers on size 3 from here?
    - Cadbury: treb instead?
    -S-E hill to normal coast. hill could be worked by silk village for 3rd shield!

and militarily:
    + one galley could try to ship that archer (either from L-E or from Shlissel) to where the 2/5 MI can be attacked, hopefully kill it and take the treb under it! looks like a good chance to me.
    + i really dislike that there is not a single costa guarda vessel in the south.
    + Caerlon worker+NM to main land

Edit:
    you could give Theo to the Küche. Eagles did not take Chiv... and did you notice their huge lead in culture?

t_x