1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

turns 37-54

Discussion in 'The Knights’ Brotherhood' started by I. Larkin, Feb 13, 2011.

1. templar_x

templar_x usually walks his talks

Have the file open. Why did we change our MM on Carlion/Glastonbury? Carlion was supposed to work the fp and grow this turn. Now it needs 2 more turns to grow, while Glastonbury is growing too fast and will have too much pop and the gran still not ready and we do not have the happiness for that size...

Why???

This was really a bad move in my eyes, and we win nothing from it.

Really, it does not matter at all how the curragh moves. Difference between knowing the eastern side of that island and not is 1 tile. Whoever moves shall do as he likes.

If we do not build a colony, the worker should go EAST. why south? in the east one worker has to prepare the road towards the southern channel town, while the other on has to improve further tiles for our FP town.
    Edit: If we do not want to waste worker turns, the new worker could start to improve the river plains 1w of Carlion. Then go NE across the river.

templar_x

2. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

We discuss it with Lanzelot.
    He "agreed" and offered 5+5+3+3+4 food scheme.
    Curagh? Who will play this turn BTW?
    If not Colony => Silk City. 2 Workers OK for 3 Cities. I did not count, but may be OK just one.

3. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Well, as already discussed with Ivan: I did it :blush:
    I couldn't resist the extra shields in Carlion (while the extra shields in Glastonbury would have been lost to corruption anyway!) But it doesn't need "2 more turns to grow", only one!
    And I think, if we let Glaston work at +5f for 3 turns and then switch to two forests, we can gain a few shields there as well and finish the gran and a settler before anarchy. Carlion can then work both FPs for faster growth. So I think the "damage" can still be repaired.

I think, worker east makes sense, if we decide to settle 1E-2SE and the dyes town. Then one worker is definitely not enough to improve Carlion, build road to 1E-2SE and build road to dyes.
    But in that case I would still like to combine it with a 3rd settler...
    How about the following compromise:
    • worker east, builds road to 1E-2SE and improves tiles for Carlion (later helps with developing 1E-2SE)
    • first settler from Camelot builds 1E-2SE
    • second settler from Camelot builds silks town (no worker needed for colony, first worker after anarchy will go south in order to get some improvements done there)
    • first settler from Glastonbury builds dyes town

4. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Funny, but possible. However, I'd like to have silk City first to start Anarchy with Lux, not turn after. What first Dice or 1E-2SE depend on "roadwork". My view that Dice first (I mean after silk, at turn 13) just in time.

5. templar_x

I would have preferred to build two workers from Glastonbury, but not by much, so I can live with the 3 settlers. At least, even though I did not support it, I brought that option up. ;)

Will silks town be 1 turn faster if we wake the worker up and change to a road? I had believed it will have the road ready either way.

I prefer the settlement order Lanzelot proposes.

templar_x

6. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

It is not question of preference. It is counting road construction. Road for dice town must ready on Hills when settler approach it. While worker stay on Hills settler goes. Next turn City build and worker go to dice.

7. templar_x

Exactly. This was discussed already. Lanzelot Said He calculated that didn't He.

T_x

8. Lanzelot

Good idea. The curraghs don't matter much. I'd also like to go around the island (while we are here), but that's up to taste.
    The only question is: what does our scouting warrior do next? I think the area to its west is already scouted by the Anarchos, so no need that we go there, too. I'd rather return it south now, so that it can finally scout the eastern peninsula!
    I don't like waking up the southern worker. In multiplayer this wastes 2 turns, not 1! (Because it will wake up only next turn, and then the mine is already half finished anyway.) Let's rather do 1E-2SE first, then we have enough time for the silk road. Glastonbury and Tintagel will have enough food to survive a few extra turns without lux, and Camelot will be size 3 after building the last settler, won't it? (Otherwise we don't get it done before anarchy.)

Otherwise there's nothing to decide this turn. If someone else agrees on the above moves (worker 1W of Carlion, warrior 1S, curraghs as you like), then just go ahead and make this turn. (Don't think I can check in again tonight.)

9. Lanzelot

Well, there's a conflict: either we get the road done for 1E-2SE, or for the dyes. But not both... (Unless we waste a worker turn and send our worker now across the river immediately instead of 1W of Carlion.) So I guess we should do that then?

10. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

That's why I recommend to build 1E-2SE third.
    But if "first" more logical if worker go SE from Carliton. Then they two will managed.
    Who will play??? I can do "NOW"

11. templar_x

If it works wasting merely 1 worker turn, I am all for that sequence.

templar_x

12. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

My head a bit twisted. Will try to work out "variants" now.

Well. I did calculations. Third settler come from Glastonbury.

It is not logical to send it to silk

Second go to "South channel."

Third (I prefer) will go to Central Channel

But I will not play today. Too late.

Attached Files:

13. Lanzelot

So if I understand that picture correctly, you suggest:
    Black worker 1SW of Carlion, builds road (2), hops on forest (1), builds road (4), hops on forest at Glastonbury and chops it into the settler.
    Red worker 2S of Carlion (1), builds road (2), irrigates 1S of Carlion (3), moves to hill (1) using the forest road that just finished that turn, builds road (4).

Road for 1E-2SE is done in 3 turns from now.
    Road on forest is done in 6 turns from now.
    Road on hill is done in 10 turns from now.

Camelot settler (6 turns) goes to 1E-2SE
    Camelot settler (11 turns) goes to dyes.
    Glastonbury settler (11 turns) goes to middle channel.
    (Can perhaps the Glaston worker chop the forest and we let the black worker road the third floodplain instead? Or the Glaston worker can road the floodplain: mine (3), road (2), hop on grass (1), road (2), hop on fp (1), road (2). Road would be done in 10 turns from now.)

Very sophisticated sequence, but looks fine to me. :goodjob:
    However: what about the silks? We try if we can survive without it, and if not we build a colony?

One more point: I think we don't chop the Carlion forest right now. So how about we build the FP immediately? How many towns do we need on a small map? 8? The immediate FP would also be good for middle and south channel towns.

14. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

So we build Colony on Silk?

15. templar_x

awesome job to find the optimum sequence! :goodjob:

this plan i like by far most of any suggested until now. looks very good.

the minor changes of Lanzelot should get introduced, so to get the Glastonbury worker into that plan.

this means in my eyes that Glaston will maybe build another settler after the revolution, but is then set up for a WF. fine with me.

3 of our strategic towns will be settled, leaving only 1 spot in the first ring for after the revolution.

using the colony if we need it sounds good to me as well. we will be a bit short on workers for a few turns anyway, but the new factory should help there soon after we have become a Republic.

templar_x

16. Lanzelot

Completely new idea: we could build a 4th settler in Tintagel? It will grow to size 5 before anarchy, so it is in danger of starving too, isn't it?
    But I'm not sure, whether it is smart to waste so much food. :dunno:

17. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

It is. It will stay on Wheat and need a lux for balance. However, I want big low corrupted City for Lib. I wrote that 1e2se "not in time", we need lux and food for anarchy period.

18. Lanzelot

So did I interpret your picture incorrectly? But it showed how we can get both roads ready for 1E-2SE and dyes?! So I assumed you wanted both now, after all.

Instead, what would be your choice for the first settler? You only wrote
    First one to silks then? Would waste a settler turn (road will not be ready in time), but might be ok, too.

BTW: one more advantage of not chopping the Carlion forest: once Carlion has grown (via floodplains) it can provide some decent production for the FP until we had time to mine a hill.

19. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I think it is good enough. [My second thought] Otherwise it will be too difficult to continue REX and keep Tinta in order. It also will solve "dilemma" silk-1e2se...

We may reconsider later.

Played.

20. templar_x

So you went by the sequence you and Lanzelot developed above, and changed Tinta to a settler?

hm

I am not exactly thrilled by the idea that we build a settler from Tinta, but I do not feel strongly against it either. It will delay the lib of course.

But did you calculate that we still get enough beakers? Tinta contributes quite a bit of our gpt, so we must take care that we are not losing a turn here.

Edit: Btw, MM Tinta may be much easier than you think. Simply do not let it grow before the revolution by employment of a scientist could also work. But this is ok as well. Dunno though why the colony is so completely off the table for you...

templar_x