turns - who needs em?

lou

Chieftain
Can we get rid of turns in the single-player Civ game? I hate seeing my troops sit after an overseas invasion and get blasted while they wait for their turn. I just want to get there, and start fighting - and the enemy can come after me whenever - no waiting for turns.

Can you imagine the addictiveness of the single-player game if turns went away? If you had to stay put at the computer (you could pause the game for bathroom and food, if you really need to) and keep on giving commands and orders? I think that would rock.

Turns are actually part of why I personally like Civ. I can play without any kind of "time-crunch" stress -- I take my time deciding where to go, what to build, which units to attack with which troops. Yeah, it stinks when my troops get wiped out during the AI's turn. I'd still rather not have to think faster than the computer (which is what seems to me would happen if you removed turns).

If you hate the turns so much you should consider playing other games, like warcraft etc.
I love the turns because it levels the playing field so I don't have to learn all the hotkeys in order to beat AI & I can focus on strategy planning.

I prefer Civ to be turn-based myself... because it isn't really Real-time anyway, since years pass between rounds.

As someone that also likes to think and plan... for single player, a RTS game where you can enter commands while paused is still pretty good.

civ is a turn-based game, so suggest it would be better otherwise is biordering on the point of offensive to me.

Can you imagine the addictiveness of the single-player game if turns went away?
The turn based format of Civ has kept me enthralled for almost a decade, and others for even longer. I fail to see how changing it to a different format would achieve anything but throwing off the gameplay and alienating fans.
Besides, can you imagine how difficult that would be? It's hard enough to manage that stuff in a real RTS, but try conducting a modern era, large-scale war on three fronts with a real time system. And then consider the AI- they'd be able to do all this at once, which would either lead to the obliteration of the players civ, or of his computer as it quickly over-heats and melts into a smoking wreck.
Turns are an integral part of how the game works, and it seems to me that if you don't like that, then you don't like Civ.

What you recommend is a different genre. I believe you should play Empire Earth II.

Can we get rid of turns in the single-player Civ game? I hate seeing my troops sit after an overseas invasion and get blasted while they wait for their turn. I just want to get there, and start fighting - and the enemy can come after me whenever - no waiting for turns.

Can you imagine the addictiveness of the single-player game if turns went away? If you had to stay put at the computer (you could pause the game for bathroom and food, if you really need to) and keep on giving commands and orders? I think that would rock.

there are plenty of games out there for you to do that in. i like the fact that civ is turn-based and i think it will remain that way. for me it already rocks. if civ was a clickfest that would not be addictive for me, that would be a game i never turned back on. different people like different things, luckily there are games of both types available.

You'd lose all the deep qualities of strategy and diplomacy without turns. You'd end up playing just another cookie cutter rts and there would be no distinguishing factor that singled Civ IV out of the crowd.

wow, I didn't know EE and RON weren't turn-based. I always assumed they were.

Civ definitely already rocks. If turns were removed, it would have to change many of the other aspects of the game in order to provide the game-play, balance, and depth that we all enjoy in the current Civ. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - but if you just took away turns, you'd have the problems mentioned above.

It's too late for me, I think, to try the other games. I don't need any more computer addictions.

Both Rise of Nations and Empire Earth II are $20 -- this is with their respective Expansion packs. I would recommend RoN over EE2, though. It's closer in style and tone to Civ, and a standard game rarely runs longer than an hour. Not as time consuming, but does provide a taste of Civ in real time.

Empire Earth lasts a long time.
If you have horses, you've been playing that game too long. Although there's nothing like taking your bombers and blowing away your opponent's horses. :crazyeye:
You have no air defense until you get into the modern areas. First one to planes wins.

Yeah I like the game precisely because of its turn aspect. I cant play real time games to save my life, my ten year old son can annihilate me at anyhting which is dependent on good reactions. I like being able to plan in advance

Now now people. Civ may be dependent of turns, but it doesn't mean that real time strategy doesn't require any thinking. Unless of course we're talking about really bad RTS's, which isn't fair for the genre.

If the Civ series were not turn-based, I could not play them. My reactions are so very much slower than those of a computer, which can in any case also "see" what is happening off screen. About the best I can do are the battles in the Total War series, and I'm not very good at those, even though I use the pause button about once per second.

YA i'm gonna have to say the turns make the game

yeah rome total war is ok the battles are quite slow and realistic so i just about cope with the occasional pausing.

Top Bottom