1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Turnsession 5 Research Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Gameplay' started by NZL, Apr 22, 2008.

1. NZL

NZL Proudly Flemish

Discuss here the next 3 techs to be researched.

This OP will be updated and together with both other Turnsession 5 Discussion threads boil down to the Turnsession 5 instruction thread, about 48 hrs prior to Turnsession 5

Already researched:

Fishing
    The Wheel
    Pottery
    Writing
    Agriculture
    Animal Husbandry
    Hunting
    Archery
    Mining
    Bronze Working

Tech path under discussion

Seems everyone agrees up to now on Alphabet first, then we'll see what's available at the tech market.
    As second tech, Math and currency have been suggested

2. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I think we should research sailing and mathematics for overseas trade, lighthouse and galleys as well as 50 % bonus forest chops to boost the build-up.

Otherwise, I agree with BCLG100 that Alphabet would be a wise choice, both for intelligence and research purposes.

3. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

I think alpha should go first, the other two aren't a neccessity whilst the key bonus of having alphabet early is that you can trade it around for more. Most of the time the AI research sailing for us anyways as its a pre req for calendar.

I would go alpha-math(if everyone else really wants it)-whatever (perhaps currency/beeline to monarchy if we don't have it).

I don't think sailing is that key, we can explore the same by building a workboat whilst it will take awhile for us to actually find a sea trade route. That and i assume our capital is busy building more important things (workers/settlers/etc).

Do we have monarchy? perhaps that could be a beeline after alpha, for the whole making use of the amount of food we have on this map and growing the cities really big! Also if we get alpha early, we can probably get a couple of the religious techs in exchange for writing/some other tech we have that the AI don't.

4. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

We may want to consider getting Alphabet and trading with Hatty BEFORE we declare war, as it looks like our only trading partner for awhile will be Lincoln.

Knowing more of the map, I feel that we can delay Iron working more. If we can take out Hatty or at least stunt her growth, we have a large portion of the island to ourselves, and should be able to settle Iron a little later.

If we go Alphabet -> Math/Sailing, those are more expensive techs and should cover NZL's play session.

5. NZL

NZL Proudly Flemish

AK: you discovered a new neighbour with whom we can trade when we get sailing and build a galley, but i will add your suggestion to the OP

6. AluminumKnight

AluminumKnight Conquistador

As I said before, we cannot contact that new neighbor unless one of 2 things happen:

The neighbor's city borders expand into the ocean so that we can contact via galley (this is most likely).

We found a city such that our borders will extend into the ocean next to theirs.

We can't simply sail a galley over there.

7. Provolution

I agree with AK here, Alphabet would be a natural choice now, so we can figure out a more intelligent research plan, based on continental synergies, after Alphabet, we should do sailing and mathematics.

We should trade all techs with Spain we can, then declare war. That is the wisest way.

Hinduism and traded techs, then declare war.

8. Seidrik_The_Gray

Seidrik_The_Gray Seidrik The Gray

Hmmm....I can live with Alphabet first. (I wish I could view the screanshots from work, bah) Anyway, after that, why not go for Construction? I think Lincoln will have Sailing soon. If we're not going for CoL any time soon, then why not go Alphabet -> Math -> Currency -> Code of Laws -> Construction? Trading for IW and Sailing later? Then you would go for Aesthetics -> Literature to possibly build the Great Library to start breading Scientists? If we don't need the scientists, then Go for Monarchy -> Feudalism -> Machinery -> Civil Service -> Engineering.

Sorry, I know this was about turn session 5, but I like to look further down stream too.

9. Provolution

Its ok to look downstream, but we can only commit to one tech-line for a session. Things may happen that revise our plans.

10. NZL

NZL Proudly Flemish

Btw, Lincoln won't trade techs with us if we have the Slavery civic, something to keep in mind if we adopt slavery in a revolution.

11. Seidrik_The_Gray

This is very true! I have gotten off the slavery crutch unless I absolutely need it. Lincoln crusades against Slavery, but he has no problem with State Property or Theocracy....hmmmm....Greater of the Evils I guess...

Provo, looking to the immediate future, I would say Alphabet->Math->Currency Mo Money!

12. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

I looked at the save and a couple of interesting points to be considered.

We can trade resources with Lincoln already, which means he has sailing. This makes it less important in my opinion, as we could trade for it eventualy and we already are connected to him.

Lincoln is in slavery himself:lol:. i just kind of think this is odd, partiuclaily if he gets pissed at us at doing something he already is doing.

13. Seidrik_The_Gray

That hypocrit!!!! :mad: :lol:

Good catch on the sailing thing, Blastoid! I bet Lincoln gets IW soon too :)

14. Provolution

Indeed, that slavery hypocrite thing would rename him "Missing Lincoln"

15. NZL

NZL Proudly Flemish

And i bet he doesn't want to trade that with us

16. Seidrik_The_Gray

Good thing we have Elephants...and wont be converting to Slavery soon...

17. Seymoo

Seymoo The Sexmaster General

what do we trade with hatty? Military techs???? It does not seem too sensible just prior to a war.

18. Provolution

no worries, she cannot apply horses anyways, if there are no horses.

19. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Alphabet - Currency

20. Provolution

I support Alphabet for now, and I will consider another tech later.