1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tusk1 - Ladies First

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by Elephantium, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Elephantium

Elephantium Elephants think that people are cute, like puppies

As discussed in this thread, this game is inspired by a game with all female opponents.

Settings
    Standard size
    Other than that, I generally like all random, but this is open for discussion.

The Ladies
    Egypt
    Russia
    France
    England
    Spain
    Byzantines

The Rival
    Greece - Pretty Boy Alexander who makes the ladies swoon. We hate him for trying to steal our girls!

Relationships - this will be updated when the game progresses.
    1. France - The first we meet becomes our first "crush" (yes, even if it's Catherine). We are too shy to trade with her...ever.
    2. Egypt - The second becomes our "girlfriend." We trade every tech as one for one deals as long as a trade is available until every civ is met.
    3. Russia - The third becomes our "lover." Must be the first civ attacked and conquered. Doesn't make any sense? Neither does love.
    4. England - Fourth is the "Ex." Must declare war with no trading on the first turn met.
    5. Spain - Fifth is Wife. Mutual partner, must attempt to ally in wars. Last to get the Axe.
    6. Lastly "mid-life crisis fling." Give every tech,luxury, and resource for 20 turns.

Note: Relationships end when that person/AI dies (thanks to CBob for clarifying!).

Going Mad
    After a "relationship" ends, must do the following. Number corresponds to relation.
    1. Crush. Revolt to Anarchy.
    2. Girlfriend. Stop research for 10 turns...need gold for a new girlfriend.
    3. Lover. Disbands the capital.
    4. Ex. Give the "wife" all your gold and gpt. Set the sliders for 50% tax first.
    6. Fling. Raise luxury slider to 50% for 10 turns...it's a party!

Variants
    Going for conquest victory.
    We are somewhat defiant. No giving into demands, but always give into demands by "crush" and "wife."

Roster - up to 6 players
    Elephantium
    CommandoBob
    Kulko
    LKendter
    Quintillus
    MrRandomGuy

2. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I really wish I had time to play in this. This is one of the most creative variants I've ever seen! I don't, so I'll just take my seat in the gallery. Good luck.

3. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

In the original game, MeteorPunch limited the units they could use. Is that a big deal to you?

Difficulty: Monarch or Emperor?

Should we select an unattractive male as our leader?

4. Elephantium

Difficulty: Monarch if we limit the units we can use; Emperor otherwise.

India could be funny. It would work well with limited units, too - research up to Chivalry for war elephants, then switch gears :hammer:

It could also be funny to include Greece as a rival -- pretty boy Alexander making our ladies swoon :trouble:

5. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I would like to join. Either Diff is fine with me, and limiting the units we can build is also fine.

What exactly is the time the relationship ends? When we meet the next one? That would be very short relationships.

6. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Hmm..

Pretty Boy Alexander that makes the ladies swoon. I bet he plays a guitar, too, and is lead singer in some two-bit rock band (Alex and the Hoplites?). That would surely spice things up. And he is probably a jock, too. And a smug little showoff. I hate him already.

So who would be the best foil to Alex....

Relationships end when that person/AI dies. Each 'heartache' will only happen one time.

7. iPwn

iPwn Chieftain

I don`t think Alexander was into ladies...

8. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

...and so of course the ladies would be drawn to him. :D

9. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

If there were a male rival, that could still fit onto a Standard map; 8 civs total.

Male Rival (thinking out loud)
    We, being the non-alpha male, would be watching this guy like a hawk. His would be the first embassy.

We would not trust him, or at least not for very long. We would trade information (tech trades) but nothing that would make him more appealing (luxuries). When the time came, we would tell him all sorts of dirt on our target (Military Alliance with Strategic Resources comes to mind).

We are forced to tell the ladies about this man. If we didn't they would call us a cad. So, except for our first crush, whom we are too shy to speak to, and the Ex, who hates our guts and wants us dead, we must trade/sell (if we can) or gift (if we must) contact information to the remaining four ladies. But, since he leads a charmed life, he will probably have already met them ahead of us.

Not sure when he should die. It would fitting, I think, that us and the Missus gang up on this guy at the end. Or, we blame the death of our lover (Lady #3) on him and we and all the ladies dog-pile on him.

We ought to celebrate his death in some way, too.

Who Are We?
    Gandhi is the most pathetic of all the male leaders. Not the ugliest, but definitely not the sports jock lady killer. Gandhi is surely the 97 lb. weakling on the beach that gets sand kicked in his face. Are War Elephants his way of over-compensating?

Brennus is the easiest to identify of the males. In addition to a show off mustache, he also has his life history tatooed onto his face. Unlike Georgey Porgey, he wouldn't be able to get close enough to a girl to kiss her (not without a lot of alchol or money); they would run away crying long before then.

Ragnar Lodbrok is the only red head in the group. How a Ginger came to lead the Viking is surely a story worth telling, but what lady wants to lay out in the sun with a guy whose skin can only turn red, blister and peel? Do they really want a patsy-faced cabana boy? And the metal skull-cap doesn't help any either. Something about this guy just says 'Dork'.

Temujin lacks the most in the looks department. Large, visible scar on his left cheek, big, flat nose, slightly pop-eyed, with rather long, stringy and snarly hair, plus no fashion sense. this guy does look like he got beat with an ugly stick. Even his smile is unappealing.

10. Elephantium

I'd be happy with any of those leaders with a slight aversion towards Ragnar (just because he was the leader in the MP6 game).

I'd say our rival dies second-to-last. Kulko, what do you think?

11. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

I dont see ourself as pathetic, after all we manage to have a lover, two wives and a fling. Sounds more like a normal middle manager :). We just started with fawning over our crush.

I would more look along the lines of Tokugawa, Lincoln or Osman.

As for the rival. I like the idea of having to kill him after our lover or ex-Wive. But I have no Idea for a fitting madness.

And lastly, why do we meet the Ex after the Wife? shouldnt it be the other way round?

12. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

:eek:

Good point! Maybe we had a memory lapse and tried to erase that encounter from our mind? The good ole It never happened syndrome (also known as wishful thinking).

13. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Sign me up - doing nothing with Civ3 or 4 at the moment.

14. Elephantium

LK - welcome to the madhouse :D

Any thoughts on civs?

15. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

lurker's comment:
    Sounds like an interesting variant. Kulko's suggestions all make sense to me. I'm curious what your proposed unit restrictions are.

I've yet to play Civ3 to any real extent online, but I've been perusing the PBEM forum for awhile seeing if any games started up with a suitable setup, so I might be persuaded to join this one. The difficulty level is more or less suited, and there's a good premise. Can't guarantee I'd be a net benefit to the team, though!

16. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Maybe we should be the Greeks! The pretty boy that can get the girls, but to shallow to keep them!

17. darski

darski Regent in Training

Signing into the cheap seats :popcorn:

I'm looking forward to watching this play out.

18. Elephantium

Quintillus, you're welcome to join us. As far as unit restrictions go, I'd be happy to go with no restrictions, "no fast units", or "nothing past our UU".

What do you think?

19. Kulko

Kulko Innocent Bystander

Well depends on our UU, but I like the last premise as long as we dont have a spearman replacement as UU.

20. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

For the rival, might I suggest that, when the time comes to kill him, you must take him on as your sole focus. Peace must be made with any other civ with whom you have a "side war" going, and once you DOW him, you may not make peace with him until he is utterly destroyed.

For that matter, is this going to be NOW generally?