Tutorial Mode Gone AWOL!

KimTwemlow

Chieftain
**I posted this in another section and was advised to try here - hope someone can help!**

Hi there,

I'm brand new at this, so forgive me if this is a dumb question! I've recently purchased a second-hand Apple Mac that has a few games on it, including Civilization III (Complete). It looks intriguing but frankly overwhelming. I found a PDF manual in there and I'm trying to make sense of it - but it seems to assume a lot of knowledge that I don't have (I get that a lot ...).

I joined this forum in the hope of getting some clues and was delighted to learn that there's a tutorial mode option in the game. Unfortunately, when I click the relevant box, it won't stay clicked! It highlights OK but the tutorial doesn't appear when I start a game and when I go back to Preferences, the box has magically unticked itself. Every other preference in there seems to work OK - except the one I want (need).

Have I done something silly?

Thanks in advance.

I do not know the answer to your magical check-box problem but I have something to say about the tutorial mode.

The tutorial mode is basically a normal game in the lowest difficulty level, with a few extra dialog boxes popping up. They are cute, but not actually helpful at all.

Learning the game comes in 2 parts.
1: What does this button do when I click on it?
2: How do I beat the AI in the most overwhelming way?

I understand you are having trouble with part 1.
The manual explains this quite well actually, chapter 4. (page 35)
The only additional tidbit that is still missing is that you should make sure the check-box "always wait at the end of the turn" is ON. (though I hope this box doesn't suffer from the magical uncheck problem either...)

Are you sure you click on the OK button when you close the preference window, and not the cancel button? (these two buttons can be a bit confusing, I remember I always have to double check if I'm clicking the right one...)

Just to let you know that tutorial mode doesn't work here, either. I just tried it.

If I click the check box, close Preferences, and then open Preferences again it is unchecked. If I check the box, close the Preferences (using the O, not the X) then start a game, I get none of the pop-up hints that I remember from my first attempts with MacSoft's port of Civ3 vanilla, back in the day.

So I think this facility is broken in Civ3 Complete.

Thank you both for replying so quickly and comprehensively! So the tutorial is broken (AlanH) and not worth having anyway (MAS). That shouldn't make me feel better but it does!

I guess trial and lots and lots of error is my only way forward. And now that I've spent some time with it, the manual's starting to make a little more sense. I was probably just being lazy!

I've gotta say that in my first couple of hours with this thing, I've found it ominously addictive. And I don't even know what I'm doing yet ...

Thanks again.

You're welcome :wavey:. Join the club.

The tenth time you find yourself slumped over the keyboard at 4 am muttering "Just .... one ... more ... turn ... zzzzzzz", you might finally realise you've become addicted. You have been warned!

The Strategy Articles forum here has a lot of valuable advice on how to beat the AI, as well as some ... not so helpful!

Do come along and have a look at the GOTM competitions, as well. The old spoiler threads are a mine of information about tactics and strategy, and there's nothing like a bit of friendly competition to improve your game. Look for posts by such old masters of the game as SirPleb. There were others before him like Moonsinger and Qitai, but they mostly only played the Classic version, and the Conquests version changed quite a few of the basics of the game.

Top Bottom