1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tweaking the RFC Map

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by The Q-Meister, Sep 30, 2011.

1. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister Chieftain

I was just wondering what tweaks (if any) some of the long-time users of this mod like to make, here are a few of mine:

- Remove 2 fish near northern Scotland to prevent the megalopolis and will add 2 fish near the Bay of London and the English Channel to maintain balance.

- Add food resources in China and India: Pretty self explanatory, feel they should be bigger.

- Tried adding corn near Mexico City and at times on Mexico City to increase the city size there but haven't had much success as the AI simply builds too many cities in central Mexico it seems.

- Heavier concentration of oil in the Middle East : I remove oil in parts of Europe and N. America and increase oil in Saudi Arabia, Persian Gulf and Libya. I've always felt that the modern push to colonize/occupy the Middle East went missing in RFC and even if it doesn't create that I enjoy seeing a Mid East flush with oil.

- Sometimes I'll add an oil in Venezuela as well.

- Replace mountain with hill in Cuba

- Tried adding land in California to make it bigger but this has resulted in AI settling Reno or a land-locked San Francisco so I think I'll just leave it be though I'd love to see 3 California cities.

- Replace 1-2 plain tile with grassland tile in Texas to encourage the AI to build at least 1 Texas city and this I'm happy to say has worked well.

2. Synapce

Synapce Chieftain

Interesting, I haven't tried this. How would I go about it?

3. deanej

deanej Chieftain

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Hard to edit the maps permanently with the WB though ... you can, however, also open the files with a text editor, the format is comparatively easy to understand.

5. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Well for one you said "sometimes" so I was under the impression you did this each game.

I've never had issues doing permanent edits with worldbuilder but I've never used it with RFC and all its scripting.

6. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

Which kind of text editor?
    [And which files to be opened :p ]

I just opened the RFC 3000BC.CivBeyondSwordWBSave via Notepad and..
    it's awful.. -_____-

Please tell me that either I open the wrong file or I use a wrong kind of text editor..
    Because it's not readable at all..

7. BenZL43

Umm..
    [Double Post -_-]

8. Alexius08

Alexius08 Chieftain

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Yeah, for some odd reason Notepad can't read the scenario files properly (sometimes, it depends on the version of Notepad used apparently). Notepad++ is free and much more comfortable anyway.

10. BenZL43

So, the file is correct?

11. Leoreth

Leoreth 古典部の会員 Moderator

Yes (the game wouldn't be able to read it otherwise).

12. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Firaxis scenarios work fine in Notepad. I'm guessing Rhye just used something that saved the file with Linux/UNIX line endings instead of Windows line endings.

13. hangman

hangman almost-scientist

You could do it in worldbuilder, or maybe Resources.py if you want to add them during the game.