Two bomb blasts during the Boston Marathon

This is terrible. Who could have done this?

I think only 3 dead is amazing given the size of the blasts and the number of people. I just hope it holds at that.

They claim to have a surveillance video image of someone with two backpacks. That seems extremely suspicious.

Of course nobody should be in trouble without a trial and evidence, but that actually does seem really suspicious, objectively speaking.

I think only 3 dead is amazing given the size of the blasts and the number of people. I just hope it holds at that.

Thinking the same as well. I'm frankly surprised there weren't more dead.

Though I'm still sad there there's many people who appear to have lost limbs. I've never lost a limb, but I have had one of my legs useless for several months many years back, and that was terrible and unimaginably inconvenient for me - a lot of these people have it even worse, they won't ever get normal limbs back.

Of course nobody should be in trouble without a trial and evidence, but that actually does seem really suspicious, objectively speaking.

We really need to be careful about that. Don't forget what happened at the Atlanta Olympics.

I meant be careful about making things suspicious. Richard Jewel went through hell because the press jumped to conclusions.

There are certainly legitimate reasons to have two backpacks. Perhaps it was a friend of one of the runners. Perhaps it was a friend of someone who wanted him to hold it for a minute while he did something. But it is certainly suspicious enough so that the police are trying to determine who that person is, and why he was carrying two backpacks near the scene.

EDIT: Live CNN updates.

"Doctors are pulling ball bearings out of people."

"Police are looking for darker skinned or black male with foreign accent with black backpack wearing black swearshirt. Man tried to gain entrance to restricted area 5 minutes before blast. Man broke eye contact and pulled hoodie over head."

"8 year-old boy dead, 8 children among injured."

Thinking the same as well. I'm frankly surprised there weren't more dead.
When I heard about it I was hoping the death toll would stay under ten, but it's well below that (thankfully).

Though I'm still sad there there's many people who appear to have lost limbs. I've never lost a limb, but I have had one of my legs useless for several months many years back, and that was terrible and unimaginably inconvenient for me - a lot of these people have it even worse, they won't ever get normal limbs back.

The only thing I've ever lost was an appendix, which is a completely useless organ anyway. Losing a leg is pretty bad in comparison.

This reminds me of the Wall Street bombing. Thank goodness it's nowhere near as bad.

Not just people, but marathon runners. The sort of people who run marathons tend to really love running, which they won't be able to do anymore, at least not without some time and prosthetics. So pretty much at the moment when they're about to finish possibly the most meaningful achievement of their lives, which required an insane amount of preparation, they lose a limb and are guaranteed to not be able to try again for a while, if ever. That's gotta be one of the most depressing individual events I can imagine.

That goes beyond "depressing." It's more like a suicide risk territory, much as I hate to be that grim.

True, I guess things are pretty advanced in the prosthetic department anymore.

My biggest injury fear, by far, is blindness. I'm simply terrified of it.

EDIT: And, to be honest, the same sort of high tech world that makes losing a limb less of a burden makes blindness worse, if anything.

Have there been any incidents of runners losing limbs? I haven't even heard of a runner being seriously injured yet. Even the runner that went down during the first blast apparently got up and finished the marathon.

Some people had already finished the race by the time the blast happened and were on the sides

Top Bottom