1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Two bomb blasts during the Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I think only 3 dead is amazing given the size of the blasts and the number of people. I just hope it holds at that.

They claim to have a surveillance video image of someone with two backpacks. That seems extremely suspicious.

3. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

Of course nobody should be in trouble without a trial and evidence, but that actually does seem really suspicious, objectively speaking.

4. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Thinking the same as well. I'm frankly surprised there weren't more dead.

Though I'm still sad there there's many people who appear to have lost limbs. I've never lost a limb, but I have had one of my legs useless for several months many years back, and that was terrible and unimaginably inconvenient for me - a lot of these people have it even worse, they won't ever get normal limbs back.

5. bhsup

bhsup Deity

We really need to be careful about that. Don't forget what happened at the Atlanta Olympics.

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Two backpacks at a finish line would not really be all that suspicious.

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I meant be careful about making things suspicious. Richard Jewel went through hell because the press jumped to conclusions.

8. AlpsStranger

Fair enough. I'll be more careful.

9. ace99

ace99 Deity

Libel suits. How much did he end up making? $15 million?

10. Formaldehyde

There are certainly legitimate reasons to have two backpacks. Perhaps it was a friend of one of the runners. Perhaps it was a friend of someone who wanted him to hold it for a minute while he did something. But it is certainly suspicious enough so that the police are trying to determine who that person is, and why he was carrying two backpacks near the scene.

EDIT: Live CNN updates.

"Doctors are pulling ball bearings out of people."

"Police are looking for darker skinned or black male with foreign accent with black backpack wearing black swearshirt. Man tried to gain entrance to restricted area 5 minutes before blast. Man broke eye contact and pulled hoodie over head."

"8 year-old boy dead, 8 children among injured."

11. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

When I heard about it I was hoping the death toll would stay under ten, but it's well below that (thankfully).

The only thing I've ever lost was an appendix, which is a completely useless organ anyway. Losing a leg is pretty bad in comparison.

12. AlpsStranger

Sh*t. Here we go.

:sad:

13. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

This reminds me of the Wall Street bombing. Thank goodness it's nowhere near as bad.

14. mangxema

mangxema I

Not just people, but marathon runners. The sort of people who run marathons tend to really love running, which they won't be able to do anymore, at least not without some time and prosthetics. So pretty much at the moment when they're about to finish possibly the most meaningful achievement of their lives, which required an insane amount of preparation, they lose a limb and are guaranteed to not be able to try again for a while, if ever. That's gotta be one of the most depressing individual events I can imagine.

15. AlpsStranger

That goes beyond "depressing." It's more like a suicide risk territory, much as I hate to be that grim.

16. ace99

ace99 Deity

All is not lost ^

17. AlpsStranger

True, I guess things are pretty advanced in the prosthetic department anymore.

My biggest injury fear, by far, is blindness. I'm simply terrified of it.

EDIT: And, to be honest, the same sort of high tech world that makes losing a limb less of a burden makes blindness worse, if anything.

18. Formaldehyde

Have there been any incidents of runners losing limbs? I haven't even heard of a runner being seriously injured yet. Even the runner that went down during the first blast apparently got up and finished the marathon.

19. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

20. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Some people had already finished the race by the time the blast happened and were on the sides