Two bomb blasts during the Boston Marathon

Reports of a Saudi national under guard at a hospital. I hope that's just a mixup.
If that is in fact happening (which might be doubtful, as was posted earlier in the thread, the reports of the Saudi have not been confirmed), then I'd put my money on it just being a mixup: An innocent spectator that has also been injured.

This seems to be a domestic terrorist attack.

I'm not sure it being a domestic terrorist wouldn't be worse. We'll have people saying that we need "more security" but this time it won't even be directed at a single minority or foreign nationals.

I am seriously tired of the way we live :sad:

Why? Because there weren't any planes?

I don't know either way, it's folly to assume either at this point.

So apparently cellphone services and transporation are shut down in Boston. Who came up with that bright idea?

Always good to know the government can turn off cell phones whenever it wants.

I'm not sure it being a domestic terrorist wouldn't be worse. We'll have people saying that we need "more security" but this time it won't even be directed at a single minority or foreign nationals.

I am seriously tired of the way we live :sad:
Which might actually make the response to this event a bit more nuanced, which is a good thing.

How was it it went again...
Jingo said:
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

No, I just can't stand national freakouts.

Which might actually make the response to this event a bit more nuanced, which is a good thing.

That's certainly the "glass is half full" way of looking at it. The "glass is half empty" way of looking at it is that we'll just be looking at a freakout that's even more broad but not any more rational.

I thought they said the bombs were set off with cellular devices. I do not know how they would know that, though.

So apparently cellphone services and transporation are shut down in Boston. Who came up with that bright idea?

I'd put pretty good odds on cellphone service being down through incompetence on the part of mobile operators at handling high volumes.

Could it be possible they turned off the phone network because the bombs were armed by them? Or am I watching too much fiction ?

Why? Because there weren't any planes?

I don't know either way, it's folly to assume either at this point.
Honestly? Because the damage was relatively mild. I'd expect a sympathizer of Al Qaida to be better trained and to use more deadly bombs. The unconfirmed Saudi suspect was also injured by shrapnel, which seems strange. Normally an Al-Qaida-like attack would either be dead (suicide bombing) or unharmed (far away when the bombs were detonated) I believe.

While these small bombs with few deaths are what I'd expect from one or two people operating independently and who has figured out how to put together bombs by themselves, IMO.

Of course, I have very little factual information behind this analysis, and I might very well be proven to be wrong.

I thought they said the bombs were set off with cellular devices. I do not know how they would know that, though.
Could it be possible they turned off the phone network because the bombs were armed by them? Or am I watching too much fiction ?
The bombs in Madrid were in fact detonated through the mobile phone network. It's been a standard assumption for well over a decade that attackers might use that technique. So mobile phone networks might have been turned off as a security precaution: Additional bombs could be set of by mobile phone calls.

Transportation could similarly be closed to avoid having large groups of people gathered in cramped locations.

Most likely these precautions are not necessary, but nobody wants to be the one who said "That won't happen", if additional bombings do happen.

I'd put pretty good odds on cellphone service being down through incompetence on the part of mobile operators at handling high volumes.
That is a possibility, but this event isn't so big that it should have that effect. Central Boston is bound to have a great deal of mobile network base stations.

That's certainly the "glass is half full" way of looking at it. The "glass is half empty" way of looking at it is that we'll just be looking at a freakout that's even more broad but not any more rational.
Depends. We'll have to wait and see what suspects the police are actually able to find. I'd like to be somewhat optimistic though.

One of the networks confirmed it was deliberately shut down so it could not be used to trigger any bombs.

It is an interesting question. Could more lives possibly be saved by allowing people to call each other to warn them of a terrorist attack than to stop other bombs from possibly being detonated? Or should the authorities have the right to essentially declare martial law in this regard at a moment's notice while depriving everybody else of a critical service to stop the possible detonation of more bombs.

EDIT: It was also just reported on ABC News that there were no additional bombs.

I'm not clear on the physics, but couldn't a creative bomber use all sorts of different kinds of detonators?

I'm not clear on the physics, but couldn't a creative bomber use all sorts of different kinds of detonators?
I doubt most such bombs are very sophisticated. They rely on either a timer or a remote detonation. That there is typically only one mechanism used.

Theoretically yes, but you are probably compounding your chances of failure at a certain point if you don't have a really good idea what you are doing. Most home made bombs are tricky to make and not sophisticated, so if you have one that works, it's best to stick with it when possible.

If you want a bunch of timed explosions, remote activation by a single method is the way to go as you don't put as much a risk of certain bombs detonating way too early or too late (or not at all) and ruining your entire plan.

How would ABC know?
How would ABC know that the authorities have now divulged that there were no other bombs found? That the previous reports were in error?

Top Bottom