1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Two bomb blasts during the Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by emzie, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

So are toy remote controls and simple clocks.

2. Renner

Renner Warlord

Turning off cell coverage makes sense, as it is easily done and I'd imagine it is one of the more likely detonators for a bomb.

You cant really stop a timer from ticking down, but you can cut off the terrorist from using a cellphone to detonate.

3. Formaldehyde

ABC News didn't claim there couldn't possibly be any other explosive devices inside the city limits. They claimed that the previous reports of other bombs being found and defused were incorrect.

4. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

No. More lives would be saved by blocking future bombs than by allowing people the use of their cell phones.

5. Neomega

Neomega Deity

Ah, thank you. I find that far more verifiable than there aren't any left. I misunderstood your statement's reference to other devices.

6. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

7. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

It was reported on WCVB, Zelig.

8. Silurian

Silurian Deity

The BBC have reported now that the mobile phone company said that the network was not shut off.
    They are also reporting that the Boston police are making statements, then retracting or contradicting them latter.

They also report that logan airport was not closed just low flying aircraft were stoped. I assume to stop the News helicopters.

9. Formaldehyde

I don't remember which network it was. I was channel surfing. Either ABC, NBC, or CBS reported it.

Could it be that the authorities have the ability to disable particular cell phone towers without informing the various carriers?

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

From what I know, the carriers are the ones who run the base stations/mobile phone towers, and they are obligated to follow the police's orders to shut them down.

If the police shut down specific stations directly however (which I don't think they do), that would definitely show up in the carriers systems and the would know about.

11. Formaldehyde

I'm sure it will all be finally resolved. There were even reports on one of the major TV networks that the police had stopped all mass transit and traffic to or from the city for at least a while. One network claimed that people who had business in the Copley Plaza area were being allowed to enter but reporters weren't, while another network claimed that all access had been completely sealed.

I even made the mistake of watching the Fox TV network station (not the 24/7 cable one) for a few seconds. They were dying to repeat the story about the Saudi national being held as a suspect, but you could tell they couldn't get confirmation sufficient enough to do so.

12. ace99

ace99 Deity

So one of my law buddies is incommunicado for the past 8 hours. I've called, texted and left FB posts. His last status update was some 8 hours ago about being at the marathon.
    Sooooo

13. madviking

madviking north american scum

14. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

And the hatred begins already!

(Erik Rush, Fox News contributer)

15. Silurian

Silurian Deity

From Washington Post my highlight

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/04/15/boston-bombing/

16. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Not after today.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth Prince of Blood Moderator

I hope he's alright.

That looks like sarcasm to me (I know, Poe's law and all).

But even if it is, it's a little early for that. Can't the opinion people wait until there are actual facts to have opinions on?

18. Formaldehyde

I noticed from one of the videos being shown that the marathon timer was at 4:09:44 when the first bomb went off. I think most of the people spectating were those who were watching relatives or just happened to go by and stopped for a few minutes. The grandstand across the street seemed pretty deserted. The top male finishers would have completed the marathon almost 2 hours previously.

19. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

20. madviking

madviking north american scum

https://twitter.com/thejamesedwards

Tufts - 9 patients hurt from attack, none critical, 8 more patients w/ marathon-related injuries
    Boston Medical Center - 20 patients total, 2 children, most have lower leg injuries
    Mass. Gen. - 22 patients total, 6 critical, 5 serious
    Brigham & Women - 26 patients total, 2 critical, 8-10 serious
    Bethg Israel - 21 patients total, 18 major, 3 minor, 7 life-threatening